Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,804,151 Members 36,884 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Z2 headphone sound quality (with mod) vs. M8

Tip us?

jimxms
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Default Z2 headphone sound quality (with mod) vs. M8

Hi all,

I currently own the m8 and love it for its awesome sound quality, however the camera is absolute pants!

The only other phone I'd consider is the z2 but I am worried that the volume and sound quality via headphones will be disappointing. Can anyone tell me if the z2 with the sound mod will be as good as the m8?

Thanks

xarfrost
Old
Thanks Meter 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimxms View Post
Hi all,

I currently own the m8 and love it for its awesome sound quality, however the camera is absolute pants!

The only other phone I'd consider is the z2 but I am worried that the volume and sound quality via headphones will be disappointing. Can anyone tell me if the z2 with the sound mod will be as good as the m8?

Thanks
I would admit loudspeakers are not as good as M8. But with the headphones, its so much better, background noise is cancelled out thus youre getting more out of your music. Bass and stuff. And its comfortable too. Just a small tip, try listening to music on landscape while on loudspeaker, magically improves music experience. No tricks, no software magic. Just how your ear works. Try it!

lynxboy
Old
Thanks Meter 326
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimxms View Post
Hi all,

Thanks
When I first purchased the phone I was very disappointed with the sound quality coming from a Wolfson Galaxy S3. Now with RomAur (Beats + Sound Mod + Viper) and Doomkernel (Faux Sound) I am very happy.

I use a combination of Faux/Viper/Walkman settings in combination with the preinstalled Beats and Z2 Sound Mod and the audio quality now rivals my S3 and surpassed my HTC One M7 (via my Sony ZX-600 headphones). Can't speak for the M8 sadly.

TLR - Z2 sound quality stock is disappointing. With mods it's great.

Regards.

Zentheld
Old
Thanks Meter 7
Both phones use the same DAC. The difference in sound comes from software and the headphone port. The Z2 has a nice black background, so its headphone port must be decent. It also has a very nice bass boost in its built in equalizer, which works in any music app and not just the Walkman app. The reason I like the bass boost is because it boosts the lower end more than the higher end bass, so it doesn't bleed into the mids. I don't use the Clear Audio+ option as it just increases the treble but also narrows the soundstage.
The included IEMs are also very decent for bundled earphones. They have a nice flat frequency response but can also give punchy bass when you make them. They have decent instrument separation as well. They could maybe do with a little more clarity, but that's all really. The noise cancelling also works really well.

I've never had the privilege of listening to any Wolfson DACs, but the DAC inside my Z2 sounds quite comparable to the Texas Instruments DAC inside my JDS Labs C5D. It's to do with taste more than anything at this point. Again, the DACs in the M8 and Z2 are the same, so they shouldn't sound too different with software tweaks off. Can you not just try one out in a store anyway?
The Following User Says Thank You to Zentheld For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]