Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,741,210 Members 49,063 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Wait for G3 or go with HTC One M8

Tip us?
 
|EverybodyLies|
Old
#21  
Member
Thanks Meter 9
Posts: 73
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Seville
I am also trying to decide between these two and it's being a hard decision. To me, the M8 has better design and build quality but the screen feels smallish and I'm not too sure about the camera. On the other hand G3 has a gorgeous screen (not only the resolution, in the videos I've seen it has much vivid colors) and a better camera but they say battery life is not as good as current flagships.
Another big selling point to me is software. I need dev support in a phone. I love PA, AOKP, PAC... I've seen the M8 already has the main ROMs ported and a bunch of nice Sense ones, as for the G3 remains to be seen. Anyhow I actually like the approach LG is taking with this new UI but I'd like to make some modifications like separate toggles and notifications and such.
So, what do you guys think I should get?
 
wase4711
Old
#22  
wase4711's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 3466
Posts: 8,506
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Outside of Chicago

 
DONATE TO ME
If you want immediate dev activity, then its easy, the M8

totally unknown if and how long it will take for any domestic G3 to be bootloader unlocked so roms can be flashed...
LG Flex
HTC One Maxx
Samsung Note2
Samsung Note
Samsung S3
HTC Evo 3d
HTC Evo 4g
Samsung G2
IBones 3,4
Palm Treo
PPC 6700
HP IPAQ
Moto StarTac's, several
BlackBerry's, several
and on and on...



ASKING FOR THANKS IN YOUR SIGNATURE IS SO LAME - IF YOU DESERVE ONE, YOU'LL GET ONE..
The Following User Says Thank You to wase4711 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]
 
|EverybodyLies|
Old
#23  
Member
Thanks Meter 9
Posts: 73
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Seville
Quote:
Originally Posted by wase4711 View Post
If you want immediate dev activity, then its easy, the M8

totally unknown if and how long it will take for any domestic G3 to be bootloader unlocked so roms can be flashed...
Well, I don't need it immediate. I understand porting/creating a ROM or unlocking a bootloader is not a overnight process, but I've been wandering at the G2 forums, which was released 8 months ago, and there is not much variety. The G Flex forum didn't get AOSP so far and so on. I don't mind holding to OEM for a couple of months, but I love tweaking and not having that is a deal breaker. So I am kind of scared of getting the phone and not getting [enought] dev support.

I understand that you can't predict how much dev support a phone will get, but maybe someone can estimate.

As an example: I currently have a SGS2 and I am very happy with the amount of ROMs this device got.

Thanks for your answer.
 
wase4711
Old
#24  
wase4711's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 3466
Posts: 8,506
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Outside of Chicago

 
DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by |EverybodyLies| View Post
Well, I don't need it immediate. I understand porting/creating a ROM or unlocking a bootloader is not a overnight process, but I've been wandering at the G2 forums, which was released 8 months ago, and there is not much variety. The G Flex forum didn't get AOSP so far and so on. I don't mind holding to OEM for a couple of months, but I love tweaking and not having that is a deal breaker. So I am kind of scared of getting the phone and not getting [enought] dev support.

I understand that you can't predict how much dev support a phone will get, but maybe someone can estimate.

As an example: I currently have a SGS2 and I am very happy with the amount of ROMs this device got.

Thanks for your answer.
the SGS2 was an easy phone to unlock and dev roms for; it didnt have any of the security that the recent releases have, so dont expect many phones going forward, except for international versions, to be easy to root/unlock/dev for..

LG and the domestic carriers pretty much are going the same route of Samsung/Knox, so dont be surprised if it takes months, if ever, before there is alot of dev for the G3.

My flex still doesn't have any dev on it yet, although there seems to be a little progress recently, and its been out since January, if that tells you anything.
LG Flex
HTC One Maxx
Samsung Note2
Samsung Note
Samsung S3
HTC Evo 3d
HTC Evo 4g
Samsung G2
IBones 3,4
Palm Treo
PPC 6700
HP IPAQ
Moto StarTac's, several
BlackBerry's, several
and on and on...



ASKING FOR THANKS IN YOUR SIGNATURE IS SO LAME - IF YOU DESERVE ONE, YOU'LL GET ONE..
The Following User Says Thank You to wase4711 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]
 
|EverybodyLies|
Old
#25  
Member
Thanks Meter 9
Posts: 73
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Seville
Quote:
Originally Posted by wase4711 View Post
the SGS2 was an easy phone to unlock and dev roms for; it didnt have any of the security that the recent releases have, so dont expect many phones going forward, except for international versions, to be easy to root/unlock/dev for..

LG and the domestic carriers pretty much are going the same route of Samsung/Knox, so dont be surprised if it takes months, if ever, before there is alot of dev for the G3.

My flex still doesn't have any dev on it yet, although there seems to be a little progress recently, and its been out since January, if that tells you anything.
Thanks very much, that was the exact kind of input I has hoping for.

So, looks like the M8 then, which is a pity because I really really liked this phone. So I guess that also means no root access since when I rooted my GS2 I had to flash a kernel, CWM and the su binary, am I right?

All the best.
The Following User Says Thank You to |EverybodyLies| For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]
 
wase4711
Old
#26  
wase4711's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 3466
Posts: 8,506
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Outside of Chicago

 
DONATE TO ME
well root is a little easier to achieve, so you could do some modding with Xposed and stuff, but, for custom recovery and kernel/ rom, its quite a bit more involved.

my son and wife, who like their G2's now, dont care about rooting/roms, so they will probably want G3's; I will probably end up with an M8, a Sony Z2s, or see what is out in August when we get new phones.I really like Sense 6, and the Boom sound the M8 has, so that might be my choice.
LG Flex
HTC One Maxx
Samsung Note2
Samsung Note
Samsung S3
HTC Evo 3d
HTC Evo 4g
Samsung G2
IBones 3,4
Palm Treo
PPC 6700
HP IPAQ
Moto StarTac's, several
BlackBerry's, several
and on and on...



ASKING FOR THANKS IN YOUR SIGNATURE IS SO LAME - IF YOU DESERVE ONE, YOU'LL GET ONE..
The Following User Says Thank You to wase4711 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]
 
papaketchup
Old
(Last edited by papaketchup; 14th June 2014 at 06:55 PM.)
#27  
papaketchup's Avatar
Member
Thanks Meter 10
Posts: 59
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Northridge
I was on the same situation last week but I got chosen as a winner for the LG Beta and I just went with it. Hey it saved me $700 XD

But I was supposed to go with the HTC One M8 because of simplicity and build quality.
 
mwatson
Old
#28  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 104
Posts: 680
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Basingstoke
People say the G3 camera is better than the M8, but I've not seen any real world samples. Sure there are some shots online of landscapes, buildings and objects in good light that look great, but when it comes to shooting in more realistic situations like in a bar, or your kids doing funny things, how good will this camera be? The M8 despite its low res performs great in the situations I've just mentioned. I had to sell my G2 because of crap real life pics. Might be worth ordering from Amazon to try it out. You have a 28 day return option given chance to compare.

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes