ZArchive Manages Your File Archives

Today smartphones are quite powerful devices that can handle multiple processes at once. In fact, some of … more

Regain Double Tap to Wake Functionality on the Nexus 6

A few months ago, Google announced its newest flagship device, the Nexus 6, alongside … more

Clean Your Recent Apps – XDA Xposed Tuesday

In this day and age, you have quite a few apps installed and running on your Android … more

Android Studio Reaches Release Candidate Status

Android app developers have a few options when comes to Android IDEs. One of the most … more

Welcome to XDA

Search to go directly to your device's forum

Register an account

Unlock full posting privileges

Ask a question

No registration required

[Q] Will Samsung KNOX be preloaded to Galaxy Note 10.1 4.4.2?

OP alpha5793

9th June 2014, 02:15 PM   |  #11  
Flag Athens
Thanks Meter: 0

4 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by link6155

Tried that too, there is no KNOX flag on the download mode screen.

Looks like Samsung did us a favour and didn't include that obKNOXious thing in the new firmware That's great news. I wonder if it's because of missing hardware or simply because they don't care enough about their old devices (spoiler alert: they don't) to add features from their newer ones.

If they had added KNOX however, that could lend more credibility to the theory that even on new KNOX-enabled devices the flag is NOT an efuse and that it's actually stored somewhere in the emmc. Oh well, I'd rather enjoy my tablet unrestricted than be concerned about triggering a stupid flag. Thanks for checking guys
Last edited by teh_geek; 9th June 2014 at 02:19 PM.
14th June 2014, 04:40 AM   |  #12  
Flag Waratah
Thanks Meter: 577

4,469 posts
It is possible, as with the Note 3 3G version, Knox was included but there is no counter. It seems only on the 4G Qualcomm variants that the "Knox counter" is apparent. If you checkout the N9000 part of the Note 3 forums this seems to be true. I wonder if it is CPU specific? They only trigger a physical change on the CPU that isn't Samsung's own...
Last edited by ultramag69; 14th June 2014 at 04:47 AM.
14th June 2014, 11:55 PM   |  #13  
Flag Athens
Thanks Meter: 0

4 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by ultramag69

It is possible, as with the Note 3 3G version, Knox was included but there is no counter. It seems only on the 4G Qualcomm variants that the "Knox counter" is apparent. If you checkout the N9000 part of the Note 3 forums this seems to be true. I wonder if it is CPU specific? They only trigger a physical change on the CPU that isn't Samsung's own...

I've been looking into this matter quite a bit lately since I also own a Note 3 (Qualcomm LTE version - N9005) and from what I've gathered, the Note 3 N900 does have a KNOX flag and counter. However, a while ago a special service bootloader was leaked specifically for that variant, which apparently wipes this flag altogether and allows users to flash custom roms freely and downgrade to earlier software versions. The security implementation likely differs between Note 3 variants but I'm not really convinced that the flag is stored in an efuse on the Qualcomm chip. Even if that's the case though, I think Samsung so far have failed to add efuse-equivalent technology to their Exynos chips and this means that the only way for a KNOX flag to exist would be on the device memory, probably somewhere within the sboot partition or a partition of its own maybe. I don't think they would go into so much trouble to add all these security features to an almost 2 year-old device that probably also lacks the proper technologyNot to mention that many original Note 10.1 devices are not covered by warranty anymore (ie outside the EU where warranty is valid for only a year in some places) so they wouldn't really care about users voiding their warranties at this point and thus no need for the KNOX flag.

We got lucky with the Note 10.1 actually. Only a custom flash counter that's easy to reset thanks to TriangleAway and now we also get KitKat. Very nice
Last edited by teh_geek; 15th June 2014 at 12:02 AM.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread