Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,730,629 Members 41,577 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Can Android OS cause charging malfunctions?

Tip us?

ascanio1
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 9
Question Can Android OS cause charging malfunctions?

Hi,

My phone suddenly won't charge the battery any longer unless I plug the cable into a Laptop/PC (USB). I bought a new battery, I tried 3 wall chargers, 3 cables and different mains sockets (all tested on different devices and all working).

I wonder if this problem could, in theory, be caused by the Android OS and not by the hardware. Does Android OS regulate the charging (not discharging or use) of the battery? Or is charging only a hardware function?

If the OS were to be involved, what would be the quickest way to fix such an issue?

FYI:
------------------------
Samsung SM-N9005 Note 3
Kernel 3.4.0-340325
Root on stock XXUENA2 ROM
------------------------
When I use wall chargers, while the device is OFF, the phone starts vibrating every 3 seconds until I disconnect the unit (but won't charge).
When I use wall chargers, while the device is ON, the charging red light and he symbol inside the battery icon appear (but won't charge) and will stay on even if I disconnect the unit.
Italians do it better... !

Trozzul
Old
Thanks Meter 193

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by ascanio1 View Post
Hi,

My phone suddenly won't charge the battery any longer unless I plug the cable into a Laptop/PC (USB). I bought a new battery, I tried 3 wall chargers, 3 cables and different mains sockets (all tested on different devices and all working).

I wonder if this problem could, in theory, be caused by the Android OS and not by the hardware. Does Android OS regulate the charging (not discharging or use) of the battery? Or is charging only a hardware function?

If the OS were to be involved, what would be the quickest way to fix such an issue?

FYI:
------------------------
Samsung SM-N9005 Note 3
Kernel 3.4.0-340325
Root on stock XXUENA2 ROM
------------------------
When I use wall chargers, while the device is OFF, the phone starts vibrating every 3 seconds until I disconnect the unit (but won't charge).
When I use wall chargers, while the device is ON, the charging red light and he symbol inside the battery icon appear (but won't charge) and will stay on even if I disconnect the unit.
i doubt its a software issue, if you want you could factory reset (remove all your files off your computer, there is a file transfer app in the play store if you cant get usb storage. or if you want you could odin factory reset, pretty much re installs the Stock OS otherwise i would try to get a new one.
"Oh, you can't help that,' said the Cat: 'we're all mad here. I'm mad. You're mad.'
"How do you know I'm mad?' said Alice.
"You must be,' said the Cat, 'or you wouldn't have come here."

Motorola Moto X
Stock KitKat (4.4.2) XT1060
Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 10.1
Rom: Cyanogemod 11 (4.4.4) P5113
Asus Nexus 7
Stock (4.4.2) Broken Digitizer, any recommendations on amazon?
Chromecast
Stock
Nikon Coolpix s800c
Stock Gingerbread (2.3.3)
The Following User Says Thank You to Trozzul For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

ascanio1
Old
(Last edited by ascanio1; 15th June 2014 at 02:31 AM.)
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trozzul View Post
i doubt its a software issue, if you want you could factory reset ... cut ... odin factory reset
I already did FR from device but nothing changed.
I can't do FR from Odin because the PC won't see the device ("USB device is not recognized") and I already deleted and reinstalled all the drivers twice plus, the third time, I installed Kies - nothing! Still can't connect.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trozzul View Post
otherwise i would try to get a new one.
Yep... BUT... Samsung won't recognize any warranty as the unit was purchsed online from HK www.imobilephonex.com (beware!)... so, any other idea before I go ahead and get a new one?

--------------------------------------
but... on a happy note, I just discovered that here, in Japan, American Express offers me 3 AMAZING FREE warranties:
1. Warranty plus (extends the original warranty by an extra 2 years regardless of original period);
2. Homeware protection (accidental damage, loss, theft, fire, flood, etc - up to 100% refund or replacement within 6 months, 90% within 1 year, 80% within second year, 70% 3rd year and so on);
3. Shopping protection (total replacement - no questions asked - within 90 days: damage, loss, theft, pretty much anything)!
WOOOOOOOOOOW! So it's my choice if I chose to have it repaired, replaced or refunded. Japan is an honest and amazing country... this would never work in Italy where I'm from!
Only 2 conditions/limitation: not valid for mobile phones (Note 3 considered "tablet" so ok) and I must show damaged unit (unless theft or loss in which case I must prove purchase).
Italians do it better... !