Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,732,073 Members 41,064 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Windows Mobile 7 for HD2, it will happen

Tip us?

snerkler
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Default Windows Mobile 7 for HD2, it will happen

Hi,

I have recently received an enquiry about a post I made saying that I contacted HTC about a month ago asking if WinMo 7 will be made available for the HD2, and if it will be a free download. I have found their response so have decided to post it on here:-

"Dear Toby

Thank you for your enquiry about HD2

What we do it ROM Upgrades from our website, however 6.5 windows mobile has only been out 2 months and windows mobile 7 hasn't even been developed. This wont be out until next november at the earliest. But when it is available it will be a free download.

If these steps have not helped, please let me know by responding using the link provided and I will be happy to check again for you.

Best regards,

Terry Snelling
HTC customer support team
HTC Corp. Global Service Division
http://www.htc.com/europe/CA_Hotline.aspx"

Yunabeco
Old
Thanks Meter 12
When asked to comment on the sayings of a HTC developer who said that WM7 will be available for the HD2 on Twitter, HTC responded "No, disregard that". Should have said "when and if" instead of "when".

So yeah. We're not exactly too sure about what the branches are up to.

It's not like this matters anyway, you'll probably have your share of WM7 roms here in xda.

Shasarak
Old
Thanks Meter 125
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yunabeco View Post
It's not like this matters anyway, you'll probably have your share of WM7 roms here in xda.
I wouldn't bet on that. Developing a ROM based on an entirely new CE kernel is a totally different proposition to going to a different version of WM6.x - where are the hardware drivers going to come from?

lorin.bute
Old
Thanks Meter 1
I doubt it will be a new rom for us. First, its seems its being pushed to q1 2011, second, new phones with dual core processors will come out and it will hurt sales if they offer an upgrade to 7. They need to sell the new phones.
Its just business guys, its not like HTC cares so much about the current hd2 owners. They are in the money making business.

ftr2k8
Old
Thanks Meter 1
To be fair, lorin.bute is on the money here - I'll probably only have this phone a year at most and there'll be bigger & better around by the time WM7 is out.

That said, if they do release wm7 for hd2, it will a nice thing for them to do

pkshr
Old
Thanks Meter 30
I have doubt there will be any official WM7 release for HD2, just as there is no official WM6.5 for HD.

tomasz
Old
Thanks Meter 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shasarak View Post
I wouldn't bet on that. Developing a ROM based on an entirely new CE kernel is a totally different proposition to going to a different version of WM6.x - where are the hardware drivers going to come from?
Many devices originally running WM5 have 'unofficial' WM6(.5.x) Roms available.

Drivers can be created or taken from devices using the same hardware.
Also, I wouldn't be surprised if WM7 turns out to be able to use 6.x hardware drivers.

If the HD2 continues to be a well sold device, and -not unimportant- the first device that meets the WM7 HW Specs, it could be a logical choice for HTC to come up with an upgrade.

And offcourse it also depends on when WM7 will be available. If it comes out in April, the HD2 may still be HTC's 'flagship'. If it comes out in november, chances are the HD2 is not that fast, big and high tech anymore..

freyberry
Old
Thanks Meter 1
@tomasz
Going from WM6 to WM7 is something completely different than going from WM5 to WM6. WM5 and WM6 share the same kernel (kinda), so it's easy to update, as all the drivers still work. Drivers made for WM6 will not work on WM7.

But HD2 is testing WM7 on the HD2 and it only takes someone to leak a ROM and we'll have all the necessary software to port WM7 to the HD2. So even if HTC doesn't release an official update, I'm pretty sure that we'll get it.

But we definitely can't develop the necessary software ourselves and it's not like the updates from WM5 to WM6, that's where Shasarak is right. All we can do now is wait and see what happens.

Shasarak
Old
(Last edited by Shasarak; 12th January 2010 at 02:21 PM.)
Thanks Meter 125
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomasz View Post
Many devices originally running WM5 have 'unofficial' WM6(.5.x) Roms available.
Yes, but Windows Mobile 5.0, 6.0, 6.1 and 6.5 are all based on Windows CE version 5-point-something. (You forget how little development has been going on with Windows Mobile for the past several years - very little has actually changed between 5.0 and 6.5). Going to WM7 we go to a Windows CE version 6 kernel, which is completely different.

Quote:
Drivers can be created or taken from devices using the same hardware.
What devices are there which have identical hardware to the HD2 and are running WM7? I take the point that there probably will be devices out there with similar hardware running WM7 at some point; but look at the issues people are currently having porting graphics drivers from the Toshiba TG01 to the HD2 (and they really do have virtually identical hardware) - it mostly works, but it's not perfect. And every device onboard needs a driver - not just the main chipset, but things like the camera too. What are the chances a WM7 phone will have an identical camera to the HD2? And where are we going to get a WM7-compatible radio ROM from?

Quote:
Also, I wouldn't be surprised if WM7 turns out to be able to use 6.x hardware drivers.
It's already been announced that it won't.

Quote:
If the HD2 continues to be a well sold device, and -not unimportant- the first device that meets the WM7 HW Specs, it could be a logical choice for HTC to come up with an upgrade.
It would be a totally illogical choice for an upgrade, because WM7 isn't due out until Q4 this year - likely late Q4 according to some rumours. That means the HD2's successor will probably launch as HTC's first (flagship) WM7 phone. At that point, if HTC issues a WM7 upgrade for the HD2 they will be seriously cannibalising HD3 sales; from HTC's perspective, they want anyone who wishes to upgrade to WM7 to buy a new phone to do it. There was no official WM6.5 upgrade for the Touch HD for the same reason.

Quote:
Originally Posted by freyberry View Post
But HD2 is testing WM7 on the HD2 and it only takes someone to leak a ROM and we'll have all the necessary software to port WM7 to the HD2. So even if HTC doesn't release an official update, I'm pretty sure that we'll get it.
If HTC are testing WM7 on actual HD2 hardware, then there may indeed be a helpful leak at some point. Do you have a source for that claim, or are you just being optimistic?

chmun77
Old
Thanks Meter 22
by 2011, i think i can upgrade my phone again since it reaching the end of my contract....