ZArchive Manages Your File Archives

Today smartphones are quite powerful devices that can handle multiple processes at once. In fact, some of … more

Regain Double Tap to Wake Functionality on the Nexus 6

A few months ago, Google announced its newest flagship device, the Nexus 6, alongside … more

Clean Your Recent Apps – XDA Xposed Tuesday

In this day and age, you have quite a few apps installed and running on your Android … more

Android Studio Reaches Release Candidate Status

Android app developers have a few options when comes to Android IDEs. One of the most … more

Welcome to XDA

Search to go directly to your device's forum

Register an account

Unlock full posting privileges

Ask a question

No registration required
Post Reply

[Q] Softbricked my Tab 3 7

OP jstephens89

11th June 2014, 10:37 AM   |  #1  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 0
 
5 posts
Join Date:Joined: Jun 2014
Hello there, I was trying to update my Tab's firmware to 4.2.2 following the instructions listed on a website I can't link to because I'm a new member. I found it by googling "update sm-t210 to 2.4.4". It's on a website called techbeasts.

I was using CWM recovery 6.0.4.7. I installed the first file, listed at the bottom of the page, the "Kernel.zip file". It installed using CWM just fine, it's a small file only about 6MB. The second file I tried to install, the "T110 on T210/210R.zip" file failed. It gave me something about 5 out 4 expected args and didn't work.

After this my tablet would not boot, it would show the Samsung Galaxy Tab 3 (not the animation) and then go black.

Next I tried to reflash using the 4.1.2 firmware from SamMobile using ODIN. This failed on the modem.bin. After this I couldn't boot in in recovery mode or ODIN mode. All I get is the, "Firmware upgrade encountered an issue...". ODIN still recognizes my tablet.

So I'm stuck. I've spent all night googling to no avail. Any help would be appreciated.
11th June 2014, 12:47 PM   |  #2  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 0
 
5 posts
Join Date:Joined: Jun 2014
So I managed to use ODIN to get CWM reworking. But I've hit another brick wall. Now that I've got something to work with anyone have any ideas?
11th June 2014, 01:04 PM   |  #3  
gr8nole's Avatar
Recognized Contributor
Lynchburg, VA
Thanks Meter: 3,730
 
2,392 posts
Join Date:Joined: Oct 2010
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by jstephens89

So I managed to use ODIN to get CWM reworking. But I've hit another brick wall. Now that I've got something to work with anyone have any ideas?

Install the latest CWM (6.0.4.8) and it you should be able to flash the rom correctly.
12th June 2014, 07:59 AM   |  #4  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 0
 
5 posts
Join Date:Joined: Jun 2014
Thanks gr8note,

So I did what you suggested, I installed 6.0.4.9 and then lo and behold, the error went away! The ROM installed with no errors. One issue is the device no longer registers with adb, but fortunately the ROM was already on my device. The device is still discoverable with ODIN on my PC.

My new problem is now I can't get it to boot in to anything but recovery or ODIN. Even if I just use the power button it boots to recovery. I just got home from work and will be searching for a solution, but any more help would be appreciated!

Thanks again.
12th June 2014, 12:33 PM   |  #5  
gr8nole's Avatar
Recognized Contributor
Lynchburg, VA
Thanks Meter: 3,730
 
2,392 posts
Join Date:Joined: Oct 2010
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by jstephens89

Thanks gr8note,

So I did what you suggested, I installed 6.0.4.9 and then lo and behold, the error went away! The ROM installed with no errors. One issue is the device no longer registers with adb, but fortunately the ROM was already on my device. The device is still discoverable with ODIN on my PC.

My new problem is now I can't get it to boot in to anything but recovery or ODIN. Even if I just use the power button it boots to recovery. I just got home from work and will be searching for a solution, but any more help would be appreciated!

Thanks again.

Flash the kernel again.

Sent from my SCH-I605
13th June 2014, 08:16 AM   |  #6  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 0
 
5 posts
Join Date:Joined: Jun 2014
Hi gr8nole, thank you for getting back to me. I've seen your name all over these forums searching for a solution.

So I have reflashed the kernel I had originally downloaded, and also tried the blackhawk kernel I found on these forums for the sm-t210. It still will only boot to recovery. I have flashed several different recoveries to my tablet. I have tried two different ROMs - one from the website I mentioned above and the stock ROM from SamMobile - and it still will only boot to recovery or ODIN.

If you had a different kernel in mind a link would be greatly appreciated. Beyond that, any other advice you can give me?
15th June 2014, 12:33 AM   |  #7  
moonbutt74's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 363
 
776 posts
Join Date:Joined: May 2014
hey hey hey
Quote:
Originally Posted by jstephens89

Hi gr8nole, thank you for getting back to me. I've seen your name all over these forums searching for a solution.

So I have reflashed the kernel I had originally downloaded, and also tried the blackhawk kernel I found on these forums for the sm-t210. It still will only boot to recovery. I have flashed several different recoveries to my tablet. I have tried two different ROMs - one from the website I mentioned above and the stock ROM from SamMobile - and it still will only boot to recovery or ODIN.

If you had a different kernel in mind a link would be greatly appreciated. Beyond that, any other advice you can give me?

j,

a while back i read a warning about sammobile images being screwy and to avoid them.
this was the image i used when i first got my tab http://d-h.st/users/Jamison904?fld_id=21912 the 1.13 gb img not the dump
hope this helps

m
15th June 2014, 06:31 AM   |  #8  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 0
 
5 posts
Join Date:Joined: Jun 2014
Hey thanks for replying.

I ended up doing a huge facepalm when I figured out my problem. I was attempting to install the stock ROM like the other ROMs...through a recovery. You can imagine my frustration when I finally realized it was not a normal ZIP but instead had to be extracted and ODIN'D.

Duh.

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes