Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,734,036 Members 51,812 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

American Express and their Mobile App --Permissions

Tip us?

Unoid
Old
(Last edited by Naddict; 14th June 2014 at 10:43 PM.)
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 5
Default American Express and their Mobile App --Permissions

I've had to deal with a recent fraud on one of my cards. They straightened out the issue however the reps were pushing HARD for me to utilize the AMEX mobile app. Sure it can give you push notifications of your purchases and allow you to approve or deny etc.

I actually decided to read the terms and conditions for once.

Not only does the app permissions list All Device information(they don't state how much exactly? phone #? IMEI?, Your Google Login?), it wants complete access to everything on your SD card. Store photos on SD? they have permission to collect and upload that.

In the T&C's it states:
1) They may change the T&C's anytime, and your continued use of the app is your agreement to whatever changes they make, even without having you re-read and accept. mod edit, masked profanity removed

2) What made me uninstall the app instantly... they can collect pretty much anything on they device they want in order to "improve the app". mod edit, masked profanity removed

Perhaps my tinfoil is on too tight, however I'm sick of companies pushing you to accept to give them your private information that likely has nothing to do with their service (app) so they can better track and possibly sell MORE marketing information about you.

You bet your ass that they sell your purchase histories to marketing companies.

My opinion: Avoid this app.

Crichton333
Old
Thanks Meter 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unoid View Post

You bet your ass that they sell your purchase histories to marketing companies.
This is a proven fact, thats how they operate. Purchase history, browse history...
"Smoke me a kipper i'll be back for breakfast." -- Android: 2048 Numbers Mania -- Yutu Aliens Free -- Proud owner: Sony Xperia J