[Q] New to forums, new to rooting

Search This thread

Wulfrune

Jun 14, 2014
Hello everyone.

I'm new to rooting, however, I have managed to root my SM-N9005. I followed a long and for me; difficult process, but I got there in the end. Odin, Tar file & SuperSU all led me to where I am now. My friend told me that I should be using Cyanogen Mod; which is installed. But I've noticed a few perplexing issues which I'm hoping you clever guys might be able to help me out with.

1) Since Modding, my SD card is no longer showing up in "My Computer" when I click on the phone icon. It is still there according to the "Storage" options on the phone and it is populated, but not showing up in my computer.

2) We have a number of devices in our house. 10" tablets, 7" tablets & various android phones. All these show up when I go to Google store, however, since the root, mine is nowhere to be found and I have no idea what to do. I cannot add software old or new, unless I go down the torrent route. MY friend told me that I should install "[GAPPS][4.4.x/4.3.x] OFFICIAL Up-to-Date PA-GOOGLE APPS (All ROM's) [2014-06-08]" as this would solve my issue. So I installed it to my SD card, booted up with Vol up, Power on & home button, selected load zip.... = Fail :(

Look guys, I'm an old man who suffers from dyslexia, I have honestly tried my hardest, but I'm stumped.

I throw myself at your mercy and beg you for help.

Many thanks in advance.

Wulfrune

kraken77

May 6, 2012
Somewhere in The Earth
Hello everyone.

I'm new to rooting, however, I have managed to root my SM-N9005. I followed a long and for me; difficult process, but I got there in the end. Odin, Tar file & SuperSU all led me to where I am now. My friend told me that I should be using Cyanogen Mod; which is installed. But I've noticed a few perplexing issues which I'm hoping you clever guys might be able to help me out with.

1) Since Modding, my SD card is no longer showing up in "My Computer" when I click on the phone icon. It is still there according to the "Storage" options on the phone and it is populated, but not showing up in my computer.

2) We have a number of devices in our house. 10" tablets, 7" tablets & various android phones. All these show up when I go to Google store, however, since the root, mine is nowhere to be found and I have no idea what to do. I cannot add software old or new, unless I go down the torrent route. MY friend told me that I should install "[GAPPS][4.4.x/4.3.x] OFFICIAL Up-to-Date PA-GOOGLE APPS (All ROM's) [2014-06-08]" as this would solve my issue. So I installed it to my SD card, booted up with Vol up, Power on & home button, selected load zip.... = Fail :(

Look guys, I'm an old man who suffers from dyslexia, I have honestly tried my hardest, but I'm stumped.

Many thanks in advance.

Wulfrune

To make this clear.

1) Factory Reset your phone using odin and install latest firmware that can be downloaded here.
2) Flash your phone using odin. Just get rid of Cyanogen Mod first. (Install it later if you want)
3 After flashing stock rom, Check your SD card is it working or not.
4) If you want to root your phone you can go here and download appropriate file( Which is if you download latest firmware, it should be KK 4.4.2)
4) Flash the file using Odin.
5) If ONLY the problem of SD Card still occur, Try this one here.

Troubleshooting
1) If you are in stock rom and you dont have any problem with SDCARD, then it should be the CyanogenMod problem (I'd never install this rom so i don't know). You can ask on CyanogenMod Thread.

Last edited:

Wulfrune

Jun 14, 2014
To make this clear.

1) Factory Reset your phone using odin and install latest firmware that can be downloaded here.
2) Flash your phone using odin. Just get rid of Cyanogen Mod first. (Install it later if you want)
4) If you want to root your phone you can go here and download appropriate file( Which is if you download latest firmware, it should be KK 4.4.2)

Troubleshooting
1) If you are in stock rom and you dont have any problem with SDCARD, then it should be the CyanogenMod problem (I'd never install this rom so i don't know). You can ask on CyanogenMod Thread.

Thank you for the reply.

However, please understand that you're talking to someone with ZERO experience of rooting and in a nutshell..... I'm afraid I've almost no idea what you're talking about :( The way I usually get around this is to follow video advice.

I will try my very best to get around this problem, but it's abundantly clear to me that I'm in over my head and that it was clearly a huge mistake on my behalf messing around with the phone in the first place. I just HATE the way Samsung think that just because I bought their phone that they own a piece of me.

Given my above statement, I will of course understand if you've no wish to spoon feed me through this process..... But if you can be of further help, I will of course, be very grateful.

The main thing is, you had noble intentions and wanted to help and I think you sincerely for that.

Wulfrune

Jun 14, 2014
@Wulfrune :
in addition to @IzArsha post,
if you have problem with internal SD card, coming from CM/AOSP to TW rom,
you can try this.

Thank you for getting back to me. I followed the instructions you outlined step by step, word for word, pay absolute attention to detail and the following id the result:

u0a53@hltexx:/ $ su
root@hltexx:/ # restorecon -v -R /data/media
SELinux: Loaded file_contexts from /file contexts
SELinus: Skipping restorecon_recursive(/data/media)
root@hltexx:/ #

Sadly, still no sign of the SD card in my computer

Any more ideas?

Thanks

Wulfrune

kraken77

May 6, 2012
Somewhere in The Earth
Thank you for getting back to me. I followed the instructions you outlined step by step, word for word, pay absolute attention to detail and the following id the result:

Any more ideas?

Thanks

Wulfrune

Okay just forgot root method first. After you flash stock rom, still no Sd card shown on your computer? it might be your driver is not up to date. Download the PC driver here and reboot your pc and connect your phone and see how it goes shall we?

Reactions: antique_sonic

Wulfrune

Jun 14, 2014
Okay just forgot root method first. After you flash stock rom, still no Sd card shown on your computer? it might be your driver is not up to date. Download the PC driver here and reboot your pc and connect your phone and see how it goes shall we?

I think I might be running a newer version of the software that is being linked?

SamsungUSDDrivers_zpsea737128.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Wulfrune

Jun 14, 2014
Here's an update on the state of play .

I have upon advice here updated to Samsung USB Driver for Mobile Phones 1.5.29.0.

I have also changed out my 64gb SD and tried a different one. whilst it still didn't show up in my computer, it did enable me to load up Google's stock package, which in turn, via play store app on the phone lets me load apps again.

I have come to the conclusion that Cyanogenmod might not have been the best route for me and that I'd probably be better off without it. I'm pretty sure it may even go a long way to solving the issues I'm having with the SD card not showing up.

So..........

2 things.....

1) Can someone tell me the safe way to remove Cyanogenmod
&
2) Can someone please suggest a replacement that will fully work with the SM-N9005 please?

Many thanks for you help so far.

Wulfrune

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hello everyone.

Many thanks in advance.

Wulfrune

To make this clear.

Troubleshooting
    @Wulfrune :
    in addition to @IzArsha post,
    if you have problem with internal SD card, coming from CM/AOSP to TW rom,
    you can try this.

Any more ideas?

Thanks

Wulfrune