Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,810,055 Members 47,858 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

KitKat update worth the headache?

Tip us?

cantenna
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 75
Default KitKat update worth the headache?

Just hoping for some user experience on stock kitkat vs custom .

Currently using Free Xperia 302 based on CM 10 JB 4.3, I cant find a single thing wrong with this rom. It's very fast and stable, GPS, camera and netflix working great!

Should I update, is the os as smooth as JB 4.3 cm build? I would imagine it would not because it is not ASOP. But is it that different in speed?

ishaang
Old
Thanks Meter 2
I personally don't see much of an advantage and you're probably getting great or better performance already. I guess some points come to mind:

Pros
-Small Apps will return with stock
-I like the Sony UI
-I don't know if you've installed a compatible IR blaster with your custom rom but if not you'll get that functionality back with stock.

Cons
-SD card permission problem (but I guess you'll still root)
-Apparently there is a battery drain issue with Google Play Services on 4.4 (and opting out of interest based ads in the settings is supposed to help)
XDA is a great & helpful community!
> Sony Tablet Z SGP321 - 10.5.A.0.230
The Following User Says Thank You to ishaang For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

cantenna
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 75
Thanks, I'm not upgrading. Cheers!

Sent from my SGP311 using Tapatalk

cantenna
Old
(Last edited by cantenna; 15th June 2014 at 04:44 PM.)
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 75
Just posted this in another thread; pretty happy ATM thought I'd share
Quote:
Originally Posted by varben View Post
And will always be. Nightlies doesn't mean unstable. Each omni nightlies are daily drivers, rest assured about that [emoji6]

Thanks for recommending this ROM: installed it last night and wow! Installed
omni-4.4.3-20140614-pollux_windy-NIGHTLY.zip

Its flawless! Games look better and game frame rates are higher I'm coming from CM 4.3.3
All hardware works; GPS, Camera, etc. Netflix too. I uninstalled DSP manager and replaced with Viper4android. So awesome!! KitKat 4.4.3; it is so buttery smooth and stable; no crashes of FC.I recommend everyone at least try this build; its money! I'm so glad I didn't upgrade to official Sony Kitkat ROM and that I saw you post. Definitely will be sending a donation tithes guys for doing such a good job. This will be my new rail driver.
Omni awesome!

The Following User Says Thank You to cantenna For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]