[Q] update to 4.4 from 4.3 +clean some bugs

OP magikalbum

15th June 2014, 08:10 AM   |  #1  
OP Junior Member
Flag Dallas
Thanks Meter: 0

2 posts
More
Hi all my name is Blake and I'm a noob. (Sigh) thanks in advance for answering my stupid questions and being the awesome intelligent human bada$$es you are and helping teach me to better understand and operate my phone! So I rooted my phone a while back (4.3) or at least attempted it but I think Knox or something along those lines was preventing the process from completing so I had a friend help me out to complete the root so I'm still not 100% on how to do this. So I want to upgrade to 4.4 assuming it's better but more importantly my phone has a lot of quirks and bugs that annoy the living crap out of me and I won't waste u r time listing them unless you need me to and I'm hoping updating will solve some of them and if not I'll be back to forum surfing... anyways I'm rooted and need to know how to get to where I can get the ota update and then root it or however would be easiest to get the update and back to being rooted? I tried reading and understanding the existing threads but I'm still learning the terminology and i couldn't quite understand the ones i could find. Also this is probably a stupid question but is there an app or anything that will magically go through my phone and fix any stupid bugs and stuff!
15th June 2014, 08:15 AM   |  #2  
OP Junior Member
Flag Dallas
Thanks Meter: 0

2 posts
More
Also to show my appreciation if u guys have like a YouTube channel i can like and subscribe to or anything i can do to show my appreciation I'd be glad to do so just send me a link thanks again you're my hero!
15th June 2014, 04:41 PM   |  #3  
Thanks Meter: 9

22 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by magikalbum

Also to show my appreciation if u guys have like a YouTube channel i can like and subscribe to or anything i can do to show my appreciation I'd be glad to do so just send me a link thanks again you're my hero!

I know you wanted a video I don't have all of the equipment to do so .. this is just a lot of words but simple easy steps.

Best possible solution for you if you really wanted the 4.4 update (nothing really has changed except the basic updates (firmware/modem)
... nothing noticeable except when you click on About Phone lol and you see 4.4.2 and the description of your system. That's really it.

But if you really want to give it a try the best solution for you is:

1 ALWAYS BACK UP YOUR PHONE!
This WILL BE UNROOTED BUT WILL GIVE THE OPTION TO BE ROOTED IF YOU WOULD LIKE

2 Download Odin if you haven't already and download the .tar file for 4.4.2 (the OTA Update)
When you extracted everything and opened Odin make sure Auto Reboot and F Reset Time is the ONLY ones checked.
3 Put the .tar file in PDA on Odin and put your phone in download mode (home, vol down, and power) when it comes up press vol up and it will show downloading .. it may show NOT RESPONDING give it a minute it usually will load up
Attach the usb cable from computer to phone once it registers it (will say added) click start. let it finish and you will have a complete wipe of 4.4.2 STOCK ROM --- UNROOTED!

FOLLOW THESE STEPS (COLOR MATCH) TO BE ROOTED ..... 4.4.2 ROOTED OR 4.3 ROOTED

-THIS IS THE START FOR BOTH --

1 Download your custom recovery (Philz or TWRP) ... I use Philz it's simple and and does everything for you to make sure it goes through.
2 Open Odin once more (same checked) turn your phone off wait for the vibration to indicate it is completely off then put it in download mode.
3 Place your recovery in PDA then attach phone and click start.
It will reboot just turn phone off and enter recovery mode (home, vol UP, and power). If the recovery doesn't show (sometimes it won't due to knox again) Then try again this way:
Phone off, place recovery in PDA, attach phone, and UNCLICK Auto-Reboot and push start. It will show downloading wait for Odin to show pass then boot in recovery from the screen you are on by just pushing home vol up and power. It should load that time.
Once it's loaded...

FOR 4.4.2 - ROOTED

3. Factory reset/clean to install new rom ...
DO NOT wipe cache just simply factory reset ..wait.. done ... clean to install new rom .. wait .. done.
If you do you will get a Status 7 or an error message.
4. Flash rom
5. Reboot
-It may ask you if you want to disable custom recovery make sure you hit NO!
You will need to update SU on playstore. And you should be good to go (had problems the first few times).

FOR 4.3 - ROOTED

DO NOT TRY FLASHING .TAR THROUGH ODIN. It will fail everytime because you can not downgrade firmware through it.

1. You will need to go back to stock unrooted with this HERE (MC2 Download only)
2 Make sure you have the MC2 Download -- or you will receive a Status 7 .. which means you don't have the right rom to update from.
3 Once you're on the MC2 firmware I believe it is the 4.2 version.
4 Turn off phone, enter recovery mode and flash this MC2 to Mk4 Rooted (NEED TO HAVE MC2 first!)
5 Reboot - if it asks to disable custom recovery make sure you press NO or it will unroot it at start up.

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread