Welcome to XDA

Search to go directly to your device's forum

Register an account

Unlock full posting privileges

Ask a question

No registration required

Upgrading from S3 - Moto X or Nexus 5? Upgrade future?

OP dirkdigles

15th June 2014, 05:54 PM   |  #1  
OP Senior Member
Chicago
Thanks Meter: 141

436 posts
Hi all,

I've had a Galaxy S3 which I've been happy with for the past year and a half, however want to move onto something newer. I'm an off-contract user, so buy my phones outright and then utilize prepaid on various carriers for my service.

Anyway my primary concerns are getting fast android updates, stock experience, and a not-too-large phone (no bigger than S3 ideally).

So I picked up a Moto X Developer Edition - seems like a great phone, very mod friendly etc., very fast, nice size, however I'm concerned about future software upgrades.

I know Moto has been very good about updating the OS to the newest version quickly, however I wonder about the S4 Pro dual-core processor inside - specifically if Qualcomm will continue to make drivers for it as new android versions come out. It's a similar processor to that in the Nexus 4, which is now 18 months old, and therefore technically falls outside of Google's prescribed "update window."

I wonder if the Moto X will get stuck behind on software updates not because of Motorola, but because of its older chipset.

Is this a valid concern? Would the N5 be more future proof in that respect? It seems from a usability standpoint, both phones are top notch and more or less exactly what I'm looking for. I want to own the one I end up choosing for another 1.5 years or so, and want it to remain pretty fast / updated to latest OS over that time.

Thoughts between the two?

Thanks much,
-Dirk
Last edited by dirkdigles; 16th June 2014 at 05:34 PM.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread