Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,768,490 Members 51,681 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Is rooting really that good?

Tip us?

bloodyniceben
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Default Is rooting really that good?

I rooted my phone a week ago, I kept with the stock Rom for a few days, then installed a Renovate sense 6 Rom which seemed to work well. I had SuperSU installed, plus a few other apps, but then all of a sudden I got an error message when trying to open SuperSU saying the binary was missing, so I downloaded a root checker which said I wasn't fully rooted! After looking on the forums to find a solution I relocked my boot loader and unrooted the phone. Trying to find a stock RUU for my phone ( unlocked Europe version ) was a bloody nightmare. Also getting it to install on my phone was a pain, but probably more to do with my computer having a slow moment.

Is it really worth all the hassle when I can all go wrong in a couple of days ?

Don't think I'll be re routing again any time soon

Sent from my HTC One

nateboi81
Old
Thanks Meter 81
Well it's like anything. If you don't know why you need something you probably don't need it

Sent from my HTC One using XDA Premium 4 mobile app
The Following User Says Thank You to nateboi81 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

clsA
Old
Thanks Meter 875

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by bloodyniceben View Post
I rooted my phone a week ago, I kept with the stock Rom for a few days, then installed a Renovate sense 6 Rom which seemed to work well. I had SuperSU installed, plus a few other apps, but then all of a sudden I got an error message when trying to open SuperSU saying the binary was missing, so I downloaded a root checker which said I wasn't fully rooted! After looking on the forums to find a solution I relocked my boot loader and unrooted the phone. Trying to find a stock RUU for my phone ( unlocked Europe version ) was a bloody nightmare. Also getting it to install on my phone was a pain, but probably more to do with my computer having a slow moment.

Is it really worth all the hassle when I can all go wrong in a couple of days ?

Don't think I'll be re routing again any time soon

Sent from my HTC One
the phone never come unrooted .. you never had root installed properly
when it's flashed correctly from recovery it will not just go away

http://download.chainfire.eu/396/SuperSU

Flash that from recovery and you'll be rooted
HTC One 32 GB AT&T

bloodyniceben
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
I had SuperSU installed, everything was fine, anything I did with the phone worked. After a week it said the SU binaries were missing, and you couldn't get into SuperSU to do anything, but previously you could. If the phone was never rooted correctly like you say, i would have had this problem from the start.

Also after rooting I used a root checker which said I was rooted, but after this Su binary issue started, it said I wasn't rooted.

Still, I'm back to unrooted now, and the only reason I did it was to get Sense 6, which has since come out as an update, so I'm no worse off

Ben

Sent from my HTC One using XDA Free mobile app

zelendel
Old
Moderator Committee - The Dark Knight
Thanks Meter 10939

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by bloodyniceben View Post
I had SuperSU installed, everything was fine, anything I did with the phone worked. After a week it said the SU binaries were missing, and you couldn't get into SuperSU to do anything, but previously you could. If the phone was never rooted correctly like you say, i would have had this problem from the start.

Also after rooting I used a root checker which said I was rooted, but after this Su binary issue started, it said I wasn't rooted.

Still, I'm back to unrooted now, and the only reason I did it was to get Sense 6, which has since come out as an update, so I'm no worse off

Ben

Sent from my HTC One using XDA Free mobile app

This is a rom issue not a root issue. Could have also been an issue with the kernel. To be honest if you dont really use the root functions then there maybe no need for you to have it. To be honest most people dont really need root. They just wanna seem cool with some things they can show off on their device instead of using it for anything important or handy. I would advice to judge for yourself. Take the extra options/security risk and weigh it against remaining stock which has less options/secure.

If hard work pays off then easy work is worthless
SearchFu
Never Ask someone to do something your not willing to at least try to do yourself.
"Gotham is the work of a madman"- NunHugger Current Nexus 5-12 Nightly