Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,808,000 Members 50,512 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Z2 Questions

Tip us?
 
crazynewfie
Old
#1  
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 16
Posts: 126
Join Date: Sep 2012
I owned a Samsung S3 and rooted it the first couple of days after I got it. Now I'm moving up to the Z2 and I have to say I'm now in a different world. Been reading the guides but I want to be sure of things before I root. I can't go much longer without rooting lol. On Samsung the roms were very carrier specific. Like att, sprint or telus. I'm in Canada and I'm with Bell but see no other sub forums? Is this forum for all Z2? How do I know if my bootloader is locked? I never had to worry before. What is TA partition and DRM keys? Sorry for the noob questions. Just want to get back in the game. Thanks.
 
hush66
Old
#2  
hush66's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 384
Posts: 810
Join Date: Apr 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazynewfie View Post
I owned a Samsung S3 and rooted it the first couple of days after I got it. Now I'm moving up to the Z2 and I have to say I'm now in a different world. Been reading the guides but I want to be sure of things before I root. I can't go much longer without rooting lol. On Samsung the roms were very carrier specific. Like att, sprint or telus. I'm in Canada and I'm with Bell but see no other sub forums? Is this forum for all Z2? How do I know if my bootloader is locked? I never had to worry before. What is TA partition and DRM keys? Sorry for the noob questions. Just want to get back in the game. Thanks.
Yes, this forum is for all Z2. There are no carrier-specific sub-forums.

Unlocking the bootloader is an intentional act. If your device is new and you have not unlocked the bootloader, then your bootloader is still locked. You might want to also check if your bootloader is unlockable in the 1st place. Go to your dialer and enter *#*#7378423*#*#, then Service info, then Configuration. Under Rooting status, if it's indicated as "Bootloader unlock allowed: Yes", then you can unlock the bootloader if you want. If it's No, then there's no way to unlock your bootloader. You have to wait for a root exploit for locked bootloaders.

Some info on Trim Area (TA) partition: http://www.themobimag.com/backuprest...peria-devices/

Digital Rights Management (DRM) Keys are basically for Sony features such as TrackID. Some info: http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2743240

Do search the entire XDA forum if you want more info on TA partition and DRM keys, as the info are scattered across the other Xperia device forums too.
 
crazynewfie
Old
#3  
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 16
Posts: 126
Join Date: Sep 2012
Thanks. Rooting status is a big No. Darn
 
Envious_Data
Old
#4  
Envious_Data's Avatar
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 843
Posts: 2,152
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Imagination

 
DONATE TO ME
http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2775411

There are some usefull links here, i did link something to rooting or a suposed root without UBL which you can find in the QnA/FAQ area

Sent from my D6503 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app


Hi there

"Music Makes me forget the traumas that plague my mind. Music is the cure to a normaly unfixable problem"
-Nozomi Yamauchi

http://envious.host-my-rom.eu/
Credits to zantekk for the WebSpace


Deviant Art page
http://enviousdata.deviantart.com/
 
antique_sonic
Old
#5  
antique_sonic's Avatar
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 1,094
Posts: 2,100
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Corner of the earth
Same with OP, I'm new to this device
All the way since I joined XDA, my device is always samsung series. And always international unlocked version.

Sorry, never meant to hijack a thread. But better rather than I open a new thread

I've try to read and understand first,...
however, I still stuck here and there. Is the step correctly summ up ?

1) backup TA partition.
2) unlock bootloader.
3) restore TA partition.
4) flash CWM.
5) flash custom kernel
6) root
7) then can install custom rom (if I want).

or did I miss any step ?
~WJ~
Learn.... Learn.... & Learn
Learn till you die, and you will die a happy man



Q & A for XNote Galaxy S5 (All Questions about X-Note Galaxy S5 PORT) :
[Q&A]X-Note G900F S5 PORT
 
Envious_Data
Old
#6  
Envious_Data's Avatar
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 843
Posts: 2,152
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Imagination

 
DONATE TO ME
Restoring Ta relocks your bootloader btw

Flash custom kernel then rom/root n stuff

Then stock kernel (totaly stock like from a FTF)

Then restore TA

Sent from my D6503 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app


Hi there

"Music Makes me forget the traumas that plague my mind. Music is the cure to a normaly unfixable problem"
-Nozomi Yamauchi

http://envious.host-my-rom.eu/
Credits to zantekk for the WebSpace


Deviant Art page
http://enviousdata.deviantart.com/
The Following User Says Thank You to Envious_Data For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]
 
antique_sonic
Old
#7  
antique_sonic's Avatar
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 1,094
Posts: 2,100
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Corner of the earth
Quote:
Originally Posted by Envious_Data View Post
Restoring Ta relocks your bootloader btw

Flash custom kernel then rom/root n stuff

Then stock kernel (totaly stock like from a FTF)

Then restore TA

Sent from my D6503 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app
do u mean I have to flash back stock kernel?
and flash TA partition the last step to relock bootloader?

sorry if I m irritating. this device seems more complicated because new to me.
Samsung is much easier though.

Sent from somewhere under the sky, at the corner of this rounded earth.
~WJ~
Learn.... Learn.... & Learn
Learn till you die, and you will die a happy man



Q & A for XNote Galaxy S5 (All Questions about X-Note Galaxy S5 PORT) :
[Q&A]X-Note G900F S5 PORT
 
Envious_Data
Old
#8  
Envious_Data's Avatar
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 843
Posts: 2,152
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Imagination

 
DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by antique_sonic View Post
do u mean I have to flash back stock kernel?
and flash TA partition the last step to relock bootloader?

sorry if I m irritating. this device seems more complicated because new to me.
Samsung is much easier though.

Sent from somewhere under the sky, at the corner of this rounded earth.
Restoring TA relocks your bootloader
Relocking on a custom or modified kernel bricks your device

Step1 do what you need with CWM / custom kernel
Step2 flash stock kernel without any thing
Step3 restore TA

Sent from my D6503 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app


Hi there

"Music Makes me forget the traumas that plague my mind. Music is the cure to a normaly unfixable problem"
-Nozomi Yamauchi

http://envious.host-my-rom.eu/
Credits to zantekk for the WebSpace


Deviant Art page
http://enviousdata.deviantart.com/
The Following User Says Thank You to Envious_Data For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]
 
antique_sonic
Old
#9  
antique_sonic's Avatar
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 1,094
Posts: 2,100
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Corner of the earth
Quote:
Originally Posted by Envious_Data View Post
Restoring TA relocks your bootloader
Relocking on a custom or modified kernel bricks your device

Step1 do what you need with CWM / custom kernel
Step2 flash stock kernel without any thing
Step3 restore TA

Sent from my D6503 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app
thanks so much man.
thanks for ur help.

Sent from somewhere under the sky, at the corner of this rounded earth.
~WJ~
Learn.... Learn.... & Learn
Learn till you die, and you will die a happy man



Q & A for XNote Galaxy S5 (All Questions about X-Note Galaxy S5 PORT) :
[Q&A]X-Note G900F S5 PORT

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes


Add the Xperia Z2 Lock Screen to Your Favorite KitKat ROM

Almost every OEM adds its own unique flair to their stock firmwares. While some of … more

Android App Review: Control Your Phone with Quick Control Panel – XDA Developer TV

Your Android smart device has many features that you … more

Play Music on Android Wear with Stellio Music Player

Android Wear smartwatchesare growing inpopularity every day. Some devices have already … more

Schedule is up for xda:devcon ’14

With xda:devcon ’14 just around the corner, and the venue close to selling out, there is a lot … more