[Q] Does the model of your phone really matter?

OP supermooshman

15th June 2014, 06:53 PM   |  #1  
OP Member
Thanks Meter: 2

52 posts
Hi all,

Recently my trusty Galaxy S2 started to bug the crap out of me and I decided it is time to start looking out for a new device.

Some of the devices which have caught my eye: HTC one M8, Z1 xperia compact, Oppo first7, One Plus One (although this one seems to be to be more elusive than an albino unicorn) and Mi 3 (although I am not a big fan of Miui).
-note: even though this post is not to ask any recommendations regarding phones, if you would have any to share, please feel free to do so

As someone who spends time on this forum ever since my HTC Excalibur, breaking my phone and hoping to fix it (the kid who takes apart his alarm clock and doesn't know how to put it back together... that's basically me), the first thing I mostly do when getting a new phone is rooting it and installing a custom rom...

Earlier today, I read an article on The Verge, which made me wonder: do different phones still matter?

If you consider the choice of a phone depending on following elements:
  • screen size
  • battery life
  • Android version (and probably OEM added bulk)
  • price
  • specs (ie ram, processor speed etc)
  • design
  • "various features" (such as the double lens on the HTC one)

Screensize is mostly similar in phones nowadays (except for the z1 compact), the android version is mostly the latest version thanks to everyone on this forum (in phone list above the Mi3 is a a bit different) and design is subjective... so these three won't really make any difference.
From the article on The Verge, it seems that specs to be of less importance nowadays in modern phones (it's attractive to have a quadcore whatever processor with an unlimited amount of ram, but does anyone really use all this horsepower -if you don't game?).

And the thing which I called "various features"; I haven't seen a single feature that wow-ed me enough to consider this a musthave (again if someone knows about something I don't please let me know

Which leaves us to battery life and price.
These seem to be the only dealbreakers for me at the moment...
Anyone who can find him/herself in this opinion (or absolutely disagrees)?
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread