Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,737,068 Members 47,169 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Root and Warranty

Tip us?

A|ex
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 22
Default [Q] Root and Warranty

Just a quick question which may have been asked many times before. on a Sony Z2, does rooting the phone void the warranty for certain or is it a 'maybe'?

with samsung and HTC you get a clear warranty void.
EU regulation (1999/44/CE) Does not save you if you have a Samsung or HTC

numskull
Old
Thanks Meter 19
ROOTING VOIDS WARRANTY.... thats it, regardless of manufacturer, country, network, whatever. If you root a phone its warranty becomes void.

However depending on the phone, it may be possible to unroot and remove any indication that it ever was rooted, therefore allowing you to claim on warranty...... Not currently possible on z2 as you need to back up drm keys, which requires root, to aquire root you need to unlock the bootloader first, unlocking the bootloader deletes drm keys..... sorry

Xajel
Old
Thanks Meter 28
It depends on how do you root...

1- Rooting by unlocking the bootloader then root - Warranty void as the DRM destroyed and there's no way to have them back...
2- Rooting without unlocking the bootloader > Warranty still there as you can restore the device to it's exactly original state...

The problem is AFAIK, there's still no way to root without unlocking the bootloader first...

Mr.Rô
Old
Thanks Meter 54
When you unlock the bootloader it states that if they have to reload the original software to fix they will charge you, sounds to me like an actual hardware fault would be covered, we dont know until someone returns an unlocked device under warranty and reports back tho

A|ex
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 22
This is what I was assuming also because it did not explicitly say warranty was void. I have had rooted phones repaired under warranty and root does not void warranty. It only does when the bootloader is locked and explicity says warranty void. The Sony I do not see doing this but have added the maybe so unsure to what extent what is covered and what is not.

I understand if the keys are lost certain apps will not work. This is understandable that there is no support.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using XDA Free mobile app

numskull
Old
Thanks Meter 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by A|ex View Post
This is what I was assuming also because it did not explicitly say warranty was void. I have had rooted phones repaired under warranty and root does not void warranty. It only does when the bootloader is locked and explicity says warranty void. The Sony I do not see doing this but have added the maybe so unsure to what extent what is covered and what is not.

I understand if the keys are lost certain apps will not work. This is understandable that there is no support.

Well i would assume that a water resistant phone, which is resistant enough to be fully submerged, would be covered under warranty for water damage, but nope not with sony.

leocooper
Old
Thanks Meter 14
Quote:

Your flair seems pretty relevant to this thread. How is it with Sony? And do you have examples why the directive won't save you with Samsung or HTC?

A|ex
Old
(Last edited by A|ex; 22nd May 2014 at 04:04 AM.)
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 22
the water proof thing has been covered before and I have no problem about the water damage and no warranty. I do not see why this is a problem for some as its only fair that if the door or seal is broken it will lose that water proof magic.

i guess the question is, since there is no ta drm backup yet for the z2, would sony really care if you rooted/ unrooted since there is no clear 'this voids warranty' and still floats around the 'maybe'

numskull
Old
Thanks Meter 19
Quote:
the water proof thing has been covered before and I have no problem about the water damage and no warranty. I do not see why this is a problem for some as its only fair that if the door or seal is broken it will lose that water proof magic.

i guess the question is, since there is no ta drm backup yet for the z2, would sony really care if you rooted/ unrooted since there is no clear 'this voids warranty' and still floats around the 'maybe'
Ah but what if your phone arrived with a badly manufactured door, until it was submerged you wouldnt know that the door was faulty (well you might, depends how badly manufactured) by which time, too late no warranty. I dont think it should be a full warranty for water damage but maybe like 3 months or something.

And back to the main point why is it so difficult to understand that rooting a phone (or to be more specific: Unnofficialy altering/modifying the firmware of an electrical product) will void warranty?

You want a clear answer about the z2's warranty, go to sonys website, support, start a live chat and ask exactly what will be affected by unlocking the bootloader...... they wont tell you, and they will tell you that the reason they wont tell you is because it voids warranty. Try it, after half an hour on there live chat i ended by asking the person if they thought it strange that sony provide a bootloader that can be unlocked, clear instructions on how to unlock, but cant tell you anything about what happens if you follow there instructions.... apart from that you'll have no warranty

A|ex
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 22
A bit of a resurrection post but z2 rooted, it overheated and well decided to turn off and never turn back on. Sony have had the phone for a day and replaced it under warranty reporting hardware fault. They have also taken 4hours to test my new replacement phone in water etc at the service centre.

I am not too sure how it stands if the phone booted etc