Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,785,416 Members 39,571 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] AOKP KitKat SIM Unlock Clarification

Tip us?

Charles:
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 4
Default [Q] AOKP KitKat SIM Unlock Clarification

Ok, I've read like 14 threads on this, but can't seem to verify an answer for my specific set up. So, sorry if this seems obvious to you guys. I def don't want to brick my phone.

I'm on AOKP Task650 4.4.3 (kitkat) ROM. Obviously the stock 4.1.1 SIM unlock method won't work on AOKP and I've read that the 4.3 version isn't able to downgrade and flash to a 4.1.1 ROM. What about 4.4.3? I also read that has to do with the bootloader and something about bootloaders with Knox on them won't work. I don't think that's my case.

When I go into my bootloader, I see:

ODIN MODE
Product Name: SGH-I747
Custom Binary Download: Yes (1 counts)
Current Binary: Custom
System Status: Custom
Qualcomm secureboot: Enable

So does that mean I can downgrade to 4.1.1 and unlock or am I SOL when it comes to unlocking?

Second part...if I can downgrade, do I have to do it via ODIN, or can I simply flask a ROM zip via TWRP?
If I have to do it via ODIN, can I perform a backup, flash 4.1.1, unlock, then go back into TWRP and restore to my 4.4.3 KitKat ROM?

crazymonkey05
Old
Thanks Meter 199

DONATE TO ME
What's your baseband version? this tells what modem/BL you have

Sent from my ATT Samsung Galaxy SIII using TapaTalk
If i helped hit the thanks button.

Current Device: Samsung Galaxy SIII (SGH-I747)

ROM: Stock Touchwiz Rom

Kernel: Stock 3.0.31-2024954

Previous Devices: Motorola Droid 1, Pantech Crossover, Motorola Droid X, LG Revolution, Sony Ericsson Xperia Play (r800x)
The Following User Says Thank You to crazymonkey05 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Charles:
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazymonkey05 View Post
What's your baseband version? this tells what modem/BL you have

UCDLK3

crazymonkey05
Old
Thanks Meter 199

DONATE TO ME
Oki believe that's 4.1.1 so you can flash a 4.1.1 ROM and unlock....(I'm not a 100% so someone check me on that please)

If i helped hit the thanks button.

Current Device: Samsung Galaxy SIII (SGH-I747)

ROM: Stock Touchwiz Rom

Kernel: Stock 3.0.31-2024954

Previous Devices: Motorola Droid 1, Pantech Crossover, Motorola Droid X, LG Revolution, Sony Ericsson Xperia Play (r800x)

audit13
Old
Thanks Meter 387
Downgrading to the stock 4.1.1 ROM will erase all data so make sure you backup everything before using Odin to go back to stock.

Based on the information from the download screen and your baseband, you should be fine to downgrade.
The Following User Says Thank You to audit13 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Charles:
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by audit13 View Post
Downgrading to the stock 4.1.1 ROM will erase all data so make sure you backup everything before using Odin to go back to stock.

Based on the information from the download screen and your baseband, you should be fine to downgrade.
Awesome! Thanks, guys!

Charles:
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 4
Just an update, I was able to flash a stock 4.1.1 via Odin and unlock my phone. Flashed TWRP and restored...back to right where I left of, but unlocked! Thanks again for the help, guys.

audit13
Old
Thanks Meter 387
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles: View Post
Just an update, I was able to flash a stock 4.1.1 via Odin and unlock my phone. Flashed TWRP and restored...back to right where I left of, but unlocked! Thanks again for the help, guys.
Glad it worked for you. As a personal preference, I stayed away from the 4.3 bootloader.

Charles:
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by audit13 View Post
Glad it worked for you. As a personal preference, I stayed away from the 4.3 bootloader.
Evidently the Task560 AOKP ROM uses the 4.1.1 bootloader.

audit13
Old
Thanks Meter 387
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles: View Post
Evidently the Task560 AOKP ROM uses the 4.1.1 bootloader.
If you want to see which bootloaders are supported by a particular custom ROM, have a look at the updater-script file in a text editor. The bootloader versions are contained in the first few get lines.