Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,739,482 Members 53,645 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Can I relock bootloader of SPG311, will this allow OTA KitKat update to install ?

Tip us?

jjaakk
Old
(Last edited by jjaakk; 18th June 2014 at 03:04 AM.) Reason: correct the model ref - SGP311 - Sony Tablet Z Wifi
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Question [Q] Can I relock bootloader of SPG311, will this allow OTA KitKat update to install ?

Just bought a second hand SGP311 (Sony Tablet Z Wifi), and the bootloader is unlocked.

OTA upgrade to KitKat fails.

Can I relock the bootloader ? Will this allow OTA KitKat update to install ?

Jak.

Cat McGowan
Old
Thanks Meter 313
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjaakk View Post
Just bought a second hand SPG311 (Sony Tablet Z Wifi), and the bootloader is unlocked.

Jak.
Judging by the posts I've read and from my own experience, it appears if your tablet has been rooted or if its boot loader has been unlocked, OTA updates will fail.
Xperia Tablet Z (SGP312U1/B) with Android 4.4.2 build 10.5.A.0.230 Rooted
Sony Tablet S (SGPT112US/S) with Android 4.0.3r5a build TISU0013410 Rooted
Samsung Galaxy S5 (SM-G900V) with 4.4.2 build KOT49H.G900VVRU1ANCG Rooted

redikx
Old
Thanks Meter 8
You could relock bootloader if You would have TA backup. Without this I think it is not possible

jjaakk
Old
(Last edited by jjaakk; 5th June 2014 at 06:56 AM.)
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by redikx View Post
TA backup.
No, I don't have a TA backup, as I bought this second hand. It is an inherited problem !

I guess I will need to go the whole way with the tablet, and try and load KitKat 4.4.2 from an image.
I have a large learning curve to climb.

Does Google Play work on images that are uploaded to the SPG311 tablet ? What other limitations are there from using a custom ROM (even if it is a Stock ROM) ?

ishaang
Old
(Last edited by ishaang; 14th June 2014 at 09:50 AM.) Reason: Missed out OP's last question
Thanks Meter 2
Quote:
Just bought a second hand SPG311 (Sony Tablet Z Wifi), and the bootloader is unlocked.

Jak.
I believe you can simply relock your bootloader using Flashtool by following these steps:

1. Make sure you're using the latest version of flashtool
2. In flashtool click the button that says 'BLU'
3. When it asks you to, connect the tablet in flashmode (hold the volume down button while connecting it)
4. Click on 'Relock' on the prompt window that will open
5. Follow whatever instructions flashtool gives you and disconnect the device after its done

But please verify this by searching online before trying it out because I'm not an expert and I did this on a Xperia Z Ultra succesfully but not on the Tablet Z. I wouldn't want to be responsible for messing up your tablet!

Once you do relock the bootloader OTA updates will be allowed.
XDA is a great & helpful community!
> Sony Tablet Z SGP321 - 10.5.A.0.230

jjaakk
Old
(Last edited by jjaakk; 18th June 2014 at 03:05 AM.) Reason: Corrected model to SGP311
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Does Google Play work on images that are uploaded to the SGP311 tablet ? What other limitations are there from using a custom ROM (even if it is a Stock ROM) ?
In case anyone finds this thread:
I was able to successfully downgrade to a 4.1.2 image, root, then upgrade to a 4.4.2 10.5.A.0.230 STOCK ROM using the instructions at
[STOCK ROM] [Root] [FTF] 4.4.2 Kitkat Xperia Tablet Z SGP311 10.5.A.0.230 VMo UK IE
. Very good instructions, and easy to follow.

Now my SGP311 is on 4.4.2, rooted, and I have not had any problems at all with Google Play. I don't think I have found any limitations.

Hope this helps.