Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,814,238 Members 49,583 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] New to forums, new to rooting

Tip us?
 
Wulfrune
Old
#1  
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Posts: 5
Join Date: Jun 2014
Question [Q] New to forums, new to rooting

Hello everyone.

I'm new to rooting, however, I have managed to root my SM-N9005. I followed a long and for me; difficult process, but I got there in the end. Odin, Tar file & SuperSU all led me to where I am now. My friend told me that I should be using Cyanogen Mod; which is installed. But I've noticed a few perplexing issues which I'm hoping you clever guys might be able to help me out with.

1) Since Modding, my SD card is no longer showing up in "My Computer" when I click on the phone icon. It is still there according to the "Storage" options on the phone and it is populated, but not showing up in my computer.

2) We have a number of devices in our house. 10" tablets, 7" tablets & various android phones. All these show up when I go to Google store, however, since the root, mine is nowhere to be found and I have no idea what to do. I cannot add software old or new, unless I go down the torrent route. MY friend told me that I should install "[GAPPS][4.4.x/4.3.x] OFFICIAL Up-to-Date PA-GOOGLE APPS (All ROM's) [2014-06-08]" as this would solve my issue. So I installed it to my SD card, booted up with Vol up, Power on & home button, selected load zip.... = Fail

Look guys, I'm an old man who suffers from dyslexia, I have honestly tried my hardest, but I'm stumped.

I throw myself at your mercy and beg you for help.

Many thanks in advance.

Wulfrune
 
IzArsha
Old
(Last edited by IzArsha; 14th June 2014 at 11:37 AM.)
#2  
IzArsha's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 625
Posts: 683
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Somewhere in The Earth

 
DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wulfrune View Post
Hello everyone.

I'm new to rooting, however, I have managed to root my SM-N9005. I followed a long and for me; difficult process, but I got there in the end. Odin, Tar file & SuperSU all led me to where I am now. My friend told me that I should be using Cyanogen Mod; which is installed. But I've noticed a few perplexing issues which I'm hoping you clever guys might be able to help me out with.

1) Since Modding, my SD card is no longer showing up in "My Computer" when I click on the phone icon. It is still there according to the "Storage" options on the phone and it is populated, but not showing up in my computer.

2) We have a number of devices in our house. 10" tablets, 7" tablets & various android phones. All these show up when I go to Google store, however, since the root, mine is nowhere to be found and I have no idea what to do. I cannot add software old or new, unless I go down the torrent route. MY friend told me that I should install "[GAPPS][4.4.x/4.3.x] OFFICIAL Up-to-Date PA-GOOGLE APPS (All ROM's) [2014-06-08]" as this would solve my issue. So I installed it to my SD card, booted up with Vol up, Power on & home button, selected load zip.... = Fail

Look guys, I'm an old man who suffers from dyslexia, I have honestly tried my hardest, but I'm stumped.

I throw myself at your mercy and beg you for help.

Many thanks in advance.

Wulfrune
To make this clear.

1) Factory Reset your phone using odin and install latest firmware that can be downloaded here.
2) Flash your phone using odin. Just get rid of Cyanogen Mod first. (Install it later if you want)
3 After flashing stock rom, Check your SD card is it working or not.
4) If you want to root your phone you can go here and download appropriate file( Which is if you download latest firmware, it should be KK 4.4.2)
4) Flash the file using Odin.
5) If ONLY the problem of SD Card still occur, Try this one here.

Troubleshooting
1) If you are in stock rom and you dont have any problem with SDCARD, then it should be the CyanogenMod problem (I'd never install this rom so i don't know). You can ask on CyanogenMod Thread.
If I do help, don't forget to press thanks.

Samsung Galaxy Note 3 SM-N9005 32GB White/Black
[My own KitKat Custom Rom (IzArsha Mark 7 Android EvolutionX)] ◄/► [MIUI V5 N9005]
SneakyKat_Rev3.2
► = Awesome Battery Life
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to IzArsha For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]
 
antique_sonic
Old
#3  
antique_sonic's Avatar
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 1,094
Posts: 2,100
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Corner of the earth
@Wulfrune :
in addition to @IzArsha post,
if you have problem with internal SD card, coming from CM/AOSP to TW rom,
you can try this.
~WJ~
Learn.... Learn.... & Learn
Learn till you die, and you will die a happy man



Q & A for XNote Galaxy S5 (All Questions about X-Note Galaxy S5 PORT) :
[Q&A]X-Note G900F S5 PORT
The Following User Says Thank You to antique_sonic For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]
 
Wulfrune
Old
#4  
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Posts: 5
Join Date: Jun 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by IzArsha View Post
To make this clear.

1) Factory Reset your phone using odin and install latest firmware that can be downloaded here.
2) Flash your phone using odin. Just get rid of Cyanogen Mod first. (Install it later if you want)
3 After flashing stock rom, Check your SD card is it working or not.
4) If you want to root your phone you can go here and download appropriate file( Which is if you download latest firmware, it should be KK 4.4.2)
4) Flash the file using Odin.
5) If ONLY the problem of SD Card still occur, Try this one here.

Troubleshooting
1) If you are in stock rom and you dont have any problem with SDCARD, then it should be the CyanogenMod problem (I'd never install this rom so i don't know). You can ask on CyanogenMod Thread.
Thank you for the reply.

However, please understand that you're talking to someone with ZERO experience of rooting and in a nutshell..... I'm afraid I've almost no idea what you're talking about The way I usually get around this is to follow video advice.

I will try my very best to get around this problem, but it's abundantly clear to me that I'm in over my head and that it was clearly a huge mistake on my behalf messing around with the phone in the first place. I just HATE the way Samsung think that just because I bought their phone that they own a piece of me.

Given my above statement, I will of course understand if you've no wish to spoon feed me through this process..... But if you can be of further help, I will of course, be very grateful.

The main thing is, you had noble intentions and wanted to help and I think you sincerely for that.
 
Wulfrune
Old
#5  
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Posts: 5
Join Date: Jun 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by antique_sonic View Post
@Wulfrune :
in addition to @IzArsha post,
if you have problem with internal SD card, coming from CM/AOSP to TW rom,
you can try this.

Thank you for getting back to me. I followed the instructions you outlined step by step, word for word, pay absolute attention to detail and the following id the result:

u0a53@hltexx:/ $ su
root@hltexx:/ # restorecon -v -R /data/media
SELinux: Loaded file_contexts from /file contexts
SELinus: Skipping restorecon_recursive(/data/media)
root@hltexx:/ #

Sadly, still no sign of the SD card in my computer

Any more ideas?

Thanks

Wulfrune
 
dancapitan7777
Old
#6  
Junior Member
Thanks Meter 2
Posts: 29
Join Date: Apr 2014
get rid of root and all will be ok
 
IzArsha
Old
#7  
IzArsha's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 625
Posts: 683
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Somewhere in The Earth

 
DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wulfrune View Post
Thank you for getting back to me. I followed the instructions you outlined step by step, word for word, pay absolute attention to detail and the following id the result:

u0a53@hltexx:/ $ su
root@hltexx:/ # restorecon -v -R /data/media
SELinux: Loaded file_contexts from /file contexts
SELinus: Skipping restorecon_recursive(/data/media)
root@hltexx:/ #

Sadly, still no sign of the SD card in my computer

Any more ideas?

Thanks

Wulfrune
Okay just forgot root method first. After you flash stock rom, still no Sd card shown on your computer? it might be your driver is not up to date. Download the PC driver here and reboot your pc and connect your phone and see how it goes shall we?
If I do help, don't forget to press thanks.

Samsung Galaxy Note 3 SM-N9005 32GB White/Black
[My own KitKat Custom Rom (IzArsha Mark 7 Android EvolutionX)] ◄/► [MIUI V5 N9005]
SneakyKat_Rev3.2
► = Awesome Battery Life
The Following User Says Thank You to IzArsha For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]
 
Wulfrune
Old
#8  
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Posts: 5
Join Date: Jun 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by IzArsha View Post
Okay just forgot root method first. After you flash stock rom, still no Sd card shown on your computer? it might be your driver is not up to date. Download the PC driver here and reboot your pc and connect your phone and see how it goes shall we?
I think I might be running a newer version of the software that is being linked?

[IMG][/IMG]
 
Wulfrune
Old
#9  
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Posts: 5
Join Date: Jun 2014
Here's an update on the state of play .

I have upon advice here updated to Samsung USB Driver for Mobile Phones 1.5.29.0.

I have also changed out my 64gb SD and tried a different one. whilst it still didn't show up in my computer, it did enable me to load up Google's stock package, which in turn, via play store app on the phone lets me load apps again.

I have come to the conclusion that Cyanogenmod might not have been the best route for me and that I'd probably be better off without it. I'm pretty sure it may even go a long way to solving the issues I'm having with the SD card not showing up.

So..........

2 things.....

1) Can someone tell me the safe way to remove Cyanogenmod
&
2) Can someone please suggest a replacement that will fully work with the SM-N9005 please?

Many thanks for you help so far.

Wulfrune

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes