[Q] need some help before buying the m8

15th June 2014, 10:23 AM   |  #1  
OP Senior Member
Flag peshawar
Thanks Meter: 7

146 posts
More
i am about to switch from the note 3 the only android phones i have used were from samsung so i am a total noob when it comes to the htc dev community...i am about to buy an m8 which is from verizon usa but is sim unlocked meaning it can work in my country pakistan...the questions i have are as follows

the phone is from verizon will i be able to flash all the custom roms like PA,CM and other AOSP roms?because in samsungs world there are different roms for tmobile etc.

will flashing roms affect my phones unlocked status?

can i turn my phone into a gpe edition phone?

if there are any other hiccups or bugs which i should check before buying the phone please fill me in folks.
15th June 2014, 11:23 AM   |  #2  
Thanks Meter: 3

17 posts
First of you need to look at which bands are used in your country and compare them to the Verizon bands. Which can be found on google as I cannot link to other websites . Most countries outside of the US have carriers that use GSM networks so beware as verizon does not and uses a CDMA network. If you have a carrier in pakistan that uses GSM bands you can look at buying an AT&T version and look if bands coincide.

I would also suggest buying a unlocked phone which would make things much easier, as some custom roms cannot be flashed on the verizon/sprint version. If you want to flash custom roms you do need to unlock the bootloader. As I said above GPE roms usually do not work with verizon/sprint edition of a phone, as far as I know you can flash a GPE rom from phones on other carriers. Still I heavily suggest buying an unlocked phone.

I myself am using an unlocked HTC One M8 and have found no bugs whatoever and use a GPE rom and everything is smooth as silk. It's an amazing phone and worth the last penny but if your phone won't work with the bands in your country it's useless so be carefull!
The Following User Says Thank You to rodelisdeman For This Useful Post: [ View ]
15th June 2014, 01:44 PM   |  #3  
Thanks Meter: 26

213 posts
If you can buy a used model with s-off. It'll save you any potential headaches.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using XDA Free mobile app
The Following User Says Thank You to Doughnut For This Useful Post: [ View ]
16th June 2014, 11:49 AM   |  #4  
OP Senior Member
Flag peshawar
Thanks Meter: 7

146 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by rodelisdeman

First of you need to look at which bands are used in your country and compare them to the Verizon bands. Which can be found on google as I cannot link to other websites . Most countries outside of the US have carriers that use GSM networks so beware as verizon does not and uses a CDMA network. If you have a carrier in pakistan that uses GSM bands you can look at buying an AT&T version and look if bands coincide.

I would also suggest buying a unlocked phone which would make things much easier, as some custom roms cannot be flashed on the verizon/sprint version. If you want to flash custom roms you do need to unlock the bootloader. As I said above GPE roms usually do not work with verizon/sprint edition of a phone, as far as I know you can flash a GPE rom from phones on other carriers. Still I heavily suggest buying an unlocked phone.

I myself am using an unlocked HTC One M8 and have found no bugs whatoever and use a GPE rom and everything is smooth as silk. It's an amazing phone and worth the last penny but if your phone won't work with the bands in your country it's useless so be carefull!

thank you for the reply i checked up on the bands and they said it is gsm supported and the bands were alright but i found the verizon thread and there was a very weak number of roms so im holding off .
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread