Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,768,721 Members 52,328 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Upgrade to Kitkat or stay on Jelly Bean?

Tip us?

crótach
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 7
Question [Q] Upgrade to Kitkat or stay on Jelly Bean?

Hi folks,

I've had my Z2 stolen a few days ago and I'm going to get a Z1 compact to replace it. Sad story I know

Now I have a simple enough quesiton. The device itself comes with Android 4.3 and 16 GB of internal storage.

One thing that bothered me on Z2 was that I couldn't move the apps to the SD card, but with Android 4.3 I can.

When I get the Z1c next week I plan to root it, after taking a backup of the TA partition of course, but then I wonder will I be able to move the apps to SD storage and are there any issues with this?

It's my first 4.4 device that will be rooted, I was reluctant to root the Z2 since there was no way to backup the DRM keys, so I'm not aware of any limitations or drawbacks of upgrading to the latest version of Android.

I don't mind staying on 4.3 if that's the advice from the community

Thanks!

daxdax89
Old
Thanks Meter 22
go kitkat
The Following User Says Thank You to daxdax89 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

crótach
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by daxdax89 View Post
go kitkat
Thanks mate!

Should I root first, or let the phone update itself first?

And last question - is there an app or hack for KitKat to easily move applications and data to SD card?
I used to do it with Titanium Backup Pro, but I'm not sure that option exists anymore.

Tobi@s
Old
Thanks Meter 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by crótach View Post
Thanks mate!

Should I root first, or let the phone update itself first?

And last question - is there an app or hack for KitKat to easily move applications and data to SD card?
I used to do it with Titanium Backup Pro, but I'm not sure that option exists anymore.
Theres an Xposed module to enable the old behaviour of the external Memory Access. It's called HandleExternalStorage
My Xperia Z1c | DoomKernel

My Xperia T | DoomKernel | Modified GFX | Unlocked Bootloader | XPosed Framework

Phone history: SE T68 > SE T630 > SE W580 > SE W595 > SE W705 > Xperia X8 > Xperia Play > Xperia T > Xperia Z1c (Sony and always Sony since 2002)

Respect to: doixanh, racht, blagus, jerpelea, FXP, DooMLoRD
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Tobi@s For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]