No registration required

[Q] Accidentally re-rooted phone after whole-disk encryption, now can't boot

OP SleepyEndymion

16th June 2014, 03:45 PM   |  #1  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 0

1 posts
More
As per the title. I have an S4 Active, humming along happily with "activeroot" applied when it first became available. I realized this morning that I never deleted the activeroot app itself, but when long-pressing the icon to get to the uninstall menu, my finger slipped. I really like geohot and his work, a whole lot, but the fact that there isn't at least a confirmation screen before overwriting important system files really grates on me. The instant the tap happened, the screen went black, and became immediately stuck on the AT&T logo at reboot.

If I power the phone up normally, I only see the AT&T logo for as long as I care to stare at it before powering it down. I can reboot into the stock recovery, but because the phone doesn't ask me for the disk-encryption password as in a normal boot, I see the error "Can't mount /data (Invalid argument)". The only non-destructive thing I could do at that menu was to wipe the cache, which obviously did nothing for my bootloader or encrypted disk. I feel pretty sure I haven't lost any data on that encrypted disk yet, and I know I could do a full factory wipe, but I'm hoping I have a better option:

1) Could it possibly be as simple as trying to send "towelroot", the newest root, to the phone via adb and execute it?
2) Without the ability to write to the disk, can I get a log file for further troubleshooting / ideas?
3) Is there a way to decrypt the disk over usb to at least pull over any non-backed-up files before performing a factory wipe?
4) Can I install a different recovery which might give me more or better options?

Thanks for any help you can provide! = )
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread