Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,783,129 Members 45,456 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] IR Blaster to turn on directv genie sat box?

Tip us?

tommy_riley
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 21
Default [Q] IR Blaster to turn on directv genie sat box?

Have not been able to figure this one out - I've configured my IR blaster to control my tv and directv units. It will turn on the tv and I know it communicates with the DTV box as well as it will change channels, hit the guide, menu, etc.

However, if I open the IR blaster in a scenario where both the TV and DTV box are both off, it will turn on the tv, but no the directv unit - it will attempt to change the channel on the dtv unit, but since it's not on, it fails. I have to manually turn on the DTV unit with my DTV remote.

I've gone through the settings/setup a few times and searched for an answer online, but cannot figure this out.

Any suggestions or tips?

otariq
Old
Thanks Meter 123
What about when you go to the most left screen there's an option to turn on the dtv. I can toggle power from there and it works just fine

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using XDA Free mobile app
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1402532212100.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	102.4 KB
ID:	2793396  

otariq
Old
Thanks Meter 123
On a side note one thing I've noticed with direct TV is that it gives the commands more than one time when you press a button. For example, if I press menu it'll open the menu then close it and open it again. Almost like the button has been pressed 3 times instead of once. The same happens with the power and guide buttons. Is this how yours is too? If I program these buttons manually using my dtv remote then it goes away.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using XDA Free mobile app

tommy_riley
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 21
thanks for your replies - at work now but will check when I get home and let you know my results.

tommy_riley
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by tommy_riley View Post
thanks for your replies - at work now but will check when I get home and let you know my results.
Sorry - forgot to get back to this thread.

yes - the default behavior for my DTV box via IR blaster is the commands double up when pressed (e.g. pressing power acts as though I hit the button twice) - if I manually program it the behavior fixes itself.

However I still seem to have problems with turning on the DTV when my tv/dtv is off, I open the IR blaster app, find a show, want to tune to it - the TV will turn on, I can see that it's trying to change the channel, but it doesn't turn on the DTV first, so it fails - once I manually turn on the DTV unit then things are fine - just an extra step.