[Q] Update from ics to jb

OP tangonegr

15th June 2014, 03:52 AM   |  #1  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 0

2 posts
Hey, i would like to update from ics to jb but what is the difference between using an ota and flashing a firmware from the sbf droid developers site or even here?

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2239706

I have bootloader unlocked and ics rooted already if that makes any difference.
Last edited by tangonegr; 15th June 2014 at 04:04 AM.
15th June 2014, 06:20 PM   |  #2  
Thanks Meter: 174

646 posts
More
I recomend a lot install the jb firmware and not usibg the ota service, for avoid phone bricks, also, if you install the jb firmware with rsd lite, you have the posibility to return to ics without brick (i dont know why you will return but its a extra)

Enviado desde mi XT890 mediante Tapatalk
The Following User Says Thank You to Marco Lomas For This Useful Post: [ View ]
16th June 2014, 09:39 AM   |  #3  
Thanks Meter: 866

626 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marco Lomas

I recomend a lot install the jb firmware and not usibg the ota service, for avoid phone bricks, also, if you install the jb firmware with rsd lite, you have the posibility to return to ics without brick (i dont know why you will return but its a extra)

Enviado desde mi XT890 mediante Tapatalk

That's not entirely true that u cant go back when u have installed it by OTA update. With rsd and with ota update u will upgrade some files exactly the same way with both methods, that must not be downgraded. Those files are the bootloader and partition files aka motoboot, gpt, dns, ifwi and (bos?).

I recommend if u ever want to downgrade, flash all things manually. Flash the boot, recovery and system partitions only when going from JB to ICS and erase the cache/data partition or u will get a software-brick. Is fixable though.

But to go from ICS to JB (upgrade), I go with Marco for the rsd flash. Especially when rooted i think. There is a small change that u will relock the bootloader, but i don't know that for sure. However it should work with OTA in theory if u have stock recovery...
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Hazou For This Useful Post: [ View ]
16th June 2014, 07:15 PM   |  #4  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 0

2 posts
Thanks alot guys I updated with rsd lite and it worked my bootloader is still unlocked, but i noticed the when i boot up, the initial screen changed from the motorola logo with "bootloader unlocked" written, to a sort of warning notification about the bootloader being unlocked.
Hazou thats exactly what i wanted to know actually because i was confused about the downgrading process, seeing that many have hard-bricked. One more question, you say i must flash those files individually, but what about restoring a nandroid backup i made when on ics?
16th June 2014, 07:31 PM   |  #5  
Thanks Meter: 866

626 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by tangonegr

Thanks alot guys I updated with rsd lite and it worked my bootloader is still unlocked, but i noticed the when i boot up, the initial screen changed from the motorola logo with "bootloader unlocked" written, to a sort of warning notification about the bootloader being unlocked.
Hazou thats exactly what i wanted to know actually because i was confused about the downgrading process, seeing that many have hard-bricked. One more question, you say i must flash those files individually, but what about restoring a nandroid backup i made when on ics?

No problem, as long as u don't touch any of those bootloader files there is almost no chance that things can go wrong.

Verstuurd van mijn GT-P5110
The Following User Says Thank You to Hazou For This Useful Post: [ View ]
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread