Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,739,962 Members 39,718 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

New soak test as of 6/16/2014 - Locked users beware!

Tip us?

iBolski
Old
(Last edited by iBolski; 16th June 2014 at 01:28 PM.)
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 411
Default New soak test as of 6/16/2014 - Locked users beware!

Just got another email from Motorola to sign up for a preview of a new software release. Probably fixes issues that were discovered after the KK upgrade.

CAUTION FOR THOSE WITH LOCKED DEVICES: Considering you just got a new root method, I would steer clear from this if you want to keep root. I have a feeling Towelroot will not work after this since it only works for kernels dated before June 3, 2014. Also, this might break the current tethering hack as well for 4.4.2.

It would be nice if this were a 4.4.3 update, but I don't know at this time. Since I'm unlocked, I'm going to go ahead and sign up for it and see what happens.

Just wanted to get the word out to anyone with locked bootloaders to probably stay away from this unless you don't care about root and the tethering hack.

The bad news about this means the "can I unroot my KitKat phone" won't go away once the OTA comes out.
Please hit "Thanks" if this post helped you.

RAZR HD XT926 (unlocked)
32gb Nexus 7
Chromecast
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to iBolski For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Flayzor
Old
Thanks Meter 2
Pretty obvious that locked users should be careful with the new OTA, same as before, don't rush ahead of yourself and install every OTA that Moto pushes out. Also today is a great day, we've got a root and apparently locked users can unlock their bootloader while being on 183.46.10 update. So I'd rather recommend people to take root and unlock and do whatever the hell they want after that, considering rooting and unlocking is as simple as just installing and running 2 apks.

iBolski
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 411
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flayzor View Post
Pretty obvious that locked users should be careful with the new OTA, same as before, don't rush ahead of yourself and install every OTA that Moto pushes out. Also today is a great day, we've got a root and apparently locked users can unlock their bootloader while being on 183.46.10 update. So I'd rather recommend people to take root and unlock and do whatever the hell they want after that, considering rooting and unlocking is as simple as just installing and running 2 apks.
What? Locked users can unlock the bootloader? How? I didn't see that. Motopocolypse, from what I understand, doesn't work with anything after 9.16 OTA. I got lucky and was able to unlock mine about a year ago (didn't have 9.18 OTA applied from the factory). Still, if people can unlock their bootloaders with the KK, that's great, but again, I have not heard nor seen anything that states this. I only knew about Towelroot and that's it.

As for it being obvious, didn't matter after this past KK upgrade. People did it anyways and we got an unflux of "how do I root this sucker?" over and over again.

RAZR HD XT926 (unlocked)
32gb Nexus 7
Chromecast

Flayzor
Old
Thanks Meter 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by iBolski View Post
What? Locked users can unlock the bootloader? How? I didn't see that. Motopocolypse, from what I understand, doesn't work with anything after 9.16 OTA. I got lucky and was able to unlock mine about a year ago (didn't have 9.18 OTA applied from the factory). Still, if people can unlock their bootloaders with the KK, that's great, but again, I have not heard nor seen anything that states this. I only knew about Towelroot and that's it.

As for it being obvious, didn't matter after this past KK upgrade. People did it anyways and we got an unflux of "how do I root this sucker?" over and over again.
I guess I'll be late and you've found that after upgrading to KK and rooting it, you can unlock bootloader with Motopocalypse ^^. Also idk why wouldn't anyone want to unlock BL, considering the phone is on its end of life cycle and won't get anymore android updates (e.g 4.5+) it seems rather wise to unlock and have all the goodies now and in the future.

Topsnake
Old
Thanks Meter 346

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by iBolski View Post
Also, this might break the current tethering hack as well for 4.4.2.
I see you guys have been using the tether mod I posted for the ultra. no problem, I developed a new mod for 4.4.2 and 4.4.3 so if it does break tether and can make one for the HD.

I used to have an HD so I'll help you guys out.

Droid Maxx "Developer Edition"

Moral of the story, SEARCH BEFORE POSTING! Chances are it has been asked several times.

iBolski
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 411
Quote:
Originally Posted by Topsnake View Post
I see you guys have been using the tether mod I posted for the ultra. no problem, I developed a new mod for 4.4.2 and 4.4.3 so if it does break tether and can make one for the HD.

I used to have an HD so I'll help you guys out.

Droid Maxx "Developer Edition"
Awesome. Thanks a bunch for that. I'll definitely want to try it out once I the new OTA comes in. Since I have an unlocked bootloader, I'm not too frightened to do the OTAs, but to know that we can get another tether mod if it does indeed break with the next OTA, that's a relief.

RAZR HD XT926 (unlocked)
32gb Nexus 7
Chromecast