Mozilla Ditches Google, Makes Yahoo Default Search Engine

Mozilla and Google have had a long-standing relationship of about 10 years. Google … more

Learn More About Linux with Linux Man Pages

Linux is quite a powerful and very configurable operating system. Thanks to some user-friendly … more

Detect, Avoid IMSI-Catcher Attacks with Android IMSI-Catcher Detector

Privacy is always an important topic, as well as a delicate one to … more

Materialized LeanDroid Fights Your Poor Battery Life

Battery life has always been one of the biggest problems facing most Android devices. … more

Welcome to XDA

Search to go directly to your device's forum

Register an account

Unlock full posting privileges

Ask a question

No registration required

Video Issues on my Galaxy S4 GT-i9500

OP Mo Neenja31

17th April 2014, 07:09 PM   |  #1  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 1

26 posts
More
Hello, don't post here often but after encountering a very weird and annoying issue with my S4, I felt the need to post here. Whenever I try to view videos in Snapchat or click on a YouTube link from Facebook or something, my screen goes crazy. See videos below.

EDIT: Apparently I can't post video links until I make 10 posts

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VcL-...ature=youtu.be
http://youtu.be/VcL-rCP317Q

Also, here is the information about my S4 (I don't live in the United Emirates but apparently that's where my phone's from):
http://i.imgur.com/lDCo3r1.png

This issue sometimes fixes itself but it comes back. If anyone could provide a remedy for this issue, it would be greatly appreciated.
Last edited by Mo Neenja31; 19th June 2014 at 12:58 AM.
18th April 2014, 05:38 AM   |  #2  
Thanks Meter: 99

609 posts
More
I can't see your videos, but i think here is same issue. It is like a lot of flicks to full screen, right? Only happen with some players, others only a few flicks. It happen to me since one week ago when i had to reflash several roms (stock and cm11) with pit and full wipes trying to solve a different issue, and then i came back to my original Rom (TTT, also i9500).

EDIT: i saw your video, yes, same issue, but only when playing videos at full screen. Here a s4 from Latin America.

Enviado desde mi GT-P7510 usando Tapatalk 2
Last edited by jaswinky; 18th April 2014 at 05:42 AM.
18th April 2014, 12:34 PM   |  #3  
OP Junior Member

26 posts
More
Yeah, pretty much. Once I go to full screen then back out of full screen, it fixes itself.
23rd April 2014, 03:29 AM   |  #4  
OP Junior Member

26 posts
More
Anyone know of a fix?
23rd April 2014, 04:37 AM   |  #5  

609 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mo Neenja31

Anyone know of a fix?

This morning i found a half fix, and now i found another different fix...

Fix #1: (player settings) If your player has the option for software decoding/acceleration instead of hardware decoding, it will fix it. For example, i installed MX Player and at beginning it ask you if you want sw decoding. I pushed no and the issue occurred. Then i went to settings and changed to sw decoding and voilá... Also GPlayer and VLC players have this option (disable hardware acceleration).

Fix #2: (device settings). For all players even hardware decoding enabled (please, check and confirm i am right), android settings, more, developer options (you need to activate this hidden menu), scroll down to hardware-acelerated rendering, check last (turn off hardware overlays must be checked).

Last edited by jaswinky; 23rd April 2014 at 04:39 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to jaswinky For This Useful Post: [ View ]
27th April 2014, 08:23 PM   |  #6  
OP Junior Member

26 posts
More
I tried fix #2 and it seems to be working so far. I'll have to play around with my phone for a little while to see if the problem has been completely remedied.
8th May 2014, 11:15 PM   |  #7  
OP Junior Member

26 posts
More
Alright, the issue seemed to be fixed but a couple days ago I noticed the issue was reoccurring. I went to the settings and noticed the hardware overlays option wasn't checked. I re-checked it and went along with my business. Few days after that, I noticed it was unchecked again

Also, I've been experiencing various apps either taking a long to load or respond which results with me force closing the app with the task manager. I did recently unmount the microSD card and put it back in my GS4 a couple days ago. Could there be a relation?
Last edited by Mo Neenja31; 8th May 2014 at 11:19 PM.
9th May 2014, 04:41 AM   |  #8  

609 posts
More
Quote:

Alright, the issue seemed to be fixed but a couple days ago I noticed the issue was reoccurring. I went to the settings and noticed the hardware overlays option wasn't checked. I re-checked it and went along with my business. Few days after that, I noticed it was unchecked again

I also noted that...

Quote:

Also, I've been experiencing various apps either taking a long to load or respond which results with me force closing the app with the task manager. I did recently unmount the microSD card and put it back in my GS4 a couple days ago. Could there be a relation?

No, I don't think it could be related. Surely because high CPU usage that moment because one or more processes...

The Following User Says Thank You to jaswinky For This Useful Post: [ View ]
17th June 2014, 03:06 AM   |  #9  
OP Junior Member

26 posts
More
Sorry for the huge bump, but I still get these issues from time to time. Is there another way of remedying this without having to check the hardware overlays on all the time?

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread