Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,741,151 Members 51,125 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

enable tethering

Tip us?

mikep90
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 6
Default enable tethering

I have the unlimited plan on att and trying to enable tethering/hotspot. I have 4.4.2 rooted and how will i accomplish this.

440bro
Old
Thanks Meter 374

DONATE TO ME
Freeze the system app called "tethering provisions". Use an app manager like titanium backup pro, or another one off your choice.

gramig
Old
Thanks Meter 3
I get a message that unfortunately settings has stopped when I try to turn on tethering. Tethering provisions frozen with TiBu Pro.

440bro
Old
Thanks Meter 374

DONATE TO ME
You should only get the error once. Then open settings and type in new hotspot ssid and password.

---------- Post added at 12:23 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:20 PM ----------

If error persists after setting up hotspot info, find a widget that can enable hotspot. I use "power toggles".

XiphoneUzer
Old
Thanks Meter 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikep90 View Post
I have the unlimited plan on att and trying to enable tethering/hotspot. I have 4.4.2 rooted and how will i accomplish this.

Download portable mobile hotspot from the Playstore, has worked flawlessly over the last month, and no *timeouts.

Once downloaded, tap the icon. a message will appear "please wait while verifying", press ur Home button while the message is there and u will be good to go, (and att will not know ur tethering).

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...y.wifi.hotspot

gramig
Old
Thanks Meter 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by XiphoneUzer View Post
Download portable mobile hotspot from the Playstore, has worked flawlessly over the last month, and no *timeouts.

Once downloaded, tap the icon. a message will appear "please wait while verifying", press ur Home button while the message is there and u will be good to go, (and att will not know ur tethering).

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...y.wifi.hotspot
Nope. Still getting the settings has stopped message. I don't get the message please wait while verifying. I've rebooted. Tried freezing both tethering items with tibu. Not sure why not working for me. I'm on Stock Rooted.

Philtest
Old
Thanks Meter 1
Try turning on/off Hotspot a few times. that should do the trick. the problem is I got the warning email from att. I use foxfi btw

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

gramig
Old
Thanks Meter 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Philtest View Post
Try turning on/off Hotspot a few times. that should do the trick. the problem is I got the warning email from att. I use foxfi btw

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using XDA Premium 4 mobile app
Interesting. That worked. Still get the settings warning, but the hotspot goes active.