Ask a question

No registration required

SGH-I337M custom rom?

OP carpenter1234588@msn.com

12th June 2014, 05:41 AM   |  #1  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 0

14 posts
need advice on which fully functioning rom will work on my rogers galaxy s4?also how to root?unlock?I have flashed htc windows devices years ago but pretty new to android,was reading one thread but like a thousand pages,wow!!!any advice would be apreciated.
12th June 2014, 04:12 PM   |  #2  
Forum Moderator / Recognized Developer
Flag Chi-town
Thanks Meter: 7,795

4,780 posts
Donate to Me
More
Best place to start is here: http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2314494

As for ROM recommendations, that's one you'll have to find on your own. We generally don't allow recommendations on threads lest they attract trolls/fanbois and hijack your thread. Besides... you'll never find what you like if you don't explore a little bit.

Best of luck and welcome!
The Following User Says Thank You to garwynn For This Useful Post: [ View ]
12th June 2014, 04:19 PM   |  #3  
Thanks Meter: 194

1,165 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by carpenter1234588@msn.com

need advice on which fully functioning rom will work on my rogers galaxy s4?also how to root?unlock?I have flashed htc windows devices years ago but pretty new to android,was reading one thread but like a thousand pages,wow!!!any advice would be apreciated.

For rooting, look up CF-auto root or kingo root, CF-auto uses odin pc so you may want to read up on that, I use version 3.07, others have used 3.09. For rom choices, you want to make sure you are selecting a rom for i337m, there are also roms for i337 which is the at&t version, if it doesn't specify Canada or i337m I would stay away from it. There are ASOP (sort of a vanila rom) and touch wiz roms suggest you read up on the differences. To flash any rom you need a custom recovery, I use TWRP version 2.6 some say to use 2.5 and I would suggest staying away from the latest and greatest since I have seen a lot of issues using the newest versions. Some people use Philz recovery which I am not familiar with but have seen quite a few successes with it. The last option is clockwork recovery, though I have used it in the past it can be finicky and I have seen people have a few issues with it. Lastly unlocking, if you going to unlock, I would skip all the free methods and use a reputable service like unlocker.com or something like that.... again read up before hand.

Best advice I can give, if your going to try something, read a lot make sure you know what your doing and be paitent, some processes look like they are doing nothing but allow them to finish.....
13th June 2014, 12:30 AM   |  #4  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 0

14 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gage_Hero

For rooting, look up CF-auto root or kingo root, CF-auto uses odin pc so you may want to read up on that, I use version 3.07, others have used 3.09. For rom choices, you want to make sure you are selecting a rom for i337m, there are also roms for i337 which is the at&t version, if it doesn't specify Canada or i337m I would stay away from it. There are ASOP (sort of a vanila rom) and touch wiz roms suggest you read up on the differences. To flash any rom you need a custom recovery, I use TWRP version 2.6 some say to use 2.5 and I would suggest staying away from the latest and greatest since I have seen a lot of issues using the newest versions. Some people use Philz recovery which I am not familiar with but have seen quite a few successes with it. The last option is clockwork recovery, though I have used it in the past it can be finicky and I have seen people have a few issues with it. Lastly unlocking, if you going to unlock, I would skip all the free methods and use a reputable service like unlocker.com or something like that.... again read up before hand.

Best advice I can give, if your going to try something, read a lot make sure you know what your doing and be paitent, some processes look like they are doing nothing but allow them to finish.....

thanks for the help,how do I find the canadian roms?
13th June 2014, 06:29 AM   |  #5  
Thanks Meter: 644

1,290 posts
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by carpenter1234588@msn.com

thanks for the help,how do I find the canadian roms?

All S4 ROMs run on all variants, with the exception of the i9500 octa core version. So you can flash anything, but the ROMs in the development section here that mention jfltecan or Canadian S4 or I337m are the best. I've also heard T-Mobile ROMs are the next best for you, and keep in mind there are also the unified ROMs with one zip for all variants.
The Following User Says Thank You to DeadlySin9 For This Useful Post: [ View ]
14th June 2014, 10:38 PM   |  #6  
Flag Ontario
Thanks Meter: 16

42 posts
More
The iB4STiD variants have been working great for me. The GPE and TW versions.
The Following User Says Thank You to VA3DBJ For This Useful Post: [ View ]
15th June 2014, 05:52 PM   |  #7  
Thanks Meter: 49

108 posts
Read this http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2314494 3 or 4 times. Familiarize yourself with kernels and roms that work with i337m. Read as much as you can. The general section has so much useful info. Good luck.

Sent from Canadian i337m using Tapatalk
The Following User Says Thank You to Jchef For This Useful Post: [ View ]
17th June 2014, 04:15 AM   |  #8  
Flag Montreal
Thanks Meter: 29

172 posts
More
samy deluxe for i9505

Sent from my GT-I9505 using XDA Premium HD app

The Following User Says Thank You to The French Tickl3r For This Useful Post: [ View ]
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread