Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,731,985 Members 41,169 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Charging issue

Tip us?

Victoria75001
Old
Thanks Meter 5
When staying at my Mum's without the G Pad charger, I originally tried charging the tablet with the cable (meant for charging, not just data) and power adaptor (0.8A) that came with a Kindle e-reader - as expected it took ages.

I then bought the Amazon Powerfast usb power adaptor (the one they sell for the Kindle Fire tablet, 1.8A) to keep at my Mum's. It didn't come with a cable, so originally I used the new charger with the Kindle e-reader cable - the G Pad still took twice as long as usual to charge.

Using the new Amazon charger with the cable that came with the G Pad, everything is back to normal.

So it seems like both charger and cable need to be up to the higher power requirements, and all usb charging cables are indeed not created equal - the G Pad one is certainly much thicker, heavier duty looking than the e-reader one. I'm going to pick up Amazon's Powerfast charging cable to go with the new charger now.

Trunkam
Old
Thanks Meter 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by Victoria75001 View Post
When staying at my Mum's without the G Pad charger, I originally tried charging the tablet with the cable (meant for charging, not just data) and power adaptor (0.8A) that came with a Kindle e-reader - as expected it took ages.

I then bought the Amazon Powerfast usb power adaptor (the one they sell for the Kindle Fire tablet, 1.8A) to keep at my Mum's. It didn't come with a cable, so originally I used the new charger with the Kindle e-reader cable - the G Pad still took twice as long as usual to charge.

Using the new Amazon charger with the cable that came with the G Pad, everything is back to normal.

So it seems like both charger and cable need to be up to the higher power requirements, and all usb charging cables are indeed not created equal - the G Pad one is certainly much thicker, heavier duty looking than the e-reader one. I'm going to pick up Amazon's Powerfast charging cable to go with the new charger now.
I can confirm exactly the same experience
Not at your mum'house of course

Cable are different and kindle reader (the white) long one does not support 2A power..

sent from tablet
I'm only a standard user with standard needs and can give standard help!
google is the way most of the times!

robotapocalypse
Old
Thanks Meter 8
Ran into this problem today and glad I did a search. I had thought something was wrong with my G Pad. I have been using my Kindle Reader to charge my G Pad for the past 3 months and never really thought much about it. It was always fully charged overnight. But the kids played with it last night and dropped it down to 4% before it shut itself off. I put it on the Kindle charger as usual and in 24 hours it's only charged up to 84%!!!!

So I finally pulled the G Pad charger out of its wrapper. I'll have to run a test on it and see how long it takes the G Pad charger to fully charge the tablet.