XDA LG Development Challenge Winners

Almost 3months ago, we set out with LGto findtwo amazing apps that developers could put together … more

Wearable Apps w/ Andreas Göransson – XDA:DevCon 2014

XDA:DevCon 2014 in Manchester, UK featured quite a few interesting topics as … more

Browse Your Files with Ease using MK Explorer

Google has made quite an effort in perfecting the powerful and multi-faceted OS that we know as … more

How to Fix the Nexus Available Storage Bug – XDA TV

Is your Nexus device only showing half of the available storage as it should? Many … more

Welcome to XDA

Search to go directly to your device's forum

Register an account

Unlock full posting privileges

Ask a question

No registration required
Post Reply

[Q] 4.4.2 KitKat Update Issues

OP kbrown.1407

13th June 2014, 12:22 PM   |  #1  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 0
 
8 posts
Join Date:Joined: Nov 2011
So I used saferoot to root back at the 4.3 update; however, overnight one night my phone decided to install the tiny update Verizon pushed that kept 4.3 but took away root. Now I am trying to update to 4.4.2 via OTA update but it continuously fails...Since I've lost root already, I'm looking for a way to manually install the 4.4.2 update (knowing I won't have root access..but I don't know so...) or revert back to an 4.3 so I can root again with safestrap...

Can anyone offer any insight on either of these options? I'd probably prefer to revert to 4.3 and have root over 4.4.2 without....
Last edited by kbrown.1407; 13th June 2014 at 04:00 PM.
13th June 2014, 12:34 PM   |  #2  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 0
 
8 posts
Join Date:Joined: Nov 2011
Phone Details
FYI

Android Version - 4.3
Baseband Version - I605VRUAND3
13th June 2014, 03:16 PM   |  #3  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 10
 
122 posts
Join Date:Joined: Jun 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by kbrown.1407

So I used safestrap to root back at the 4.3 update; however, overnight one night my phone decided to install the tiny update Verizon pushed that kept 4.3 but took away root. Now I am trying to update to 4.4.2 via OTA update but it continuously fails...Since I've lost root already, I'm looking for a way to manually install the 4.4.2 update (knowing I won't have root access..but I don't know so...) or revert back to an 4.3 so I can root again with safestrap...

Can anyone offer any insight on either of these options? I'd probably prefer to revert to 4.3 and have root over 4.4.2 without....

If you're on 4.3 w/o root, you can follow this thread and regain root. - http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2752360

I haven't see anyone post 4.4.2 yet to manually flash if the download fails. I'm the same boat there. Give it a few days and I'm sure someone will post it.
The Following User Says Thank You to xnatex21 For This Useful Post: [ View ]
13th June 2014, 03:48 PM   |  #4  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 0
 
8 posts
Join Date:Joined: Nov 2011
Thanks
Quote:
Originally Posted by xnatex21

If you're on 4.3 w/o root, you can follow this thread and regain root. - http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2752360

I haven't see anyone post 4.4.2 yet to manually flash if the download fails. I'm the same boat there. Give it a few days and I'm sure someone will post it.

Thanks, I actually came across that post just a bit ago (apparently gave up on finding an answer a bit early, sorry). One other question though, if and/or when someone posts 4.4.2, is there a way to update manually and maintain root access? Or is root lost once it's updated in any way?
13th June 2014, 07:58 PM   |  #5  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 10
 
122 posts
Join Date:Joined: Jun 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by kbrown.1407

Thanks, I actually came across that post just a bit ago (apparently gave up on finding an answer a bit early, sorry). One other question though, if and/or when someone posts 4.4.2, is there a way to update manually and maintain root access? Or is root lost once it's updated in any way?

The only way you'd be able to get root is if someone finds a root exploit for this specific device and 4.4.2 (assuming you're on 4.3 with a locked bootloader already).

If you don't have a locked bootloader, then you can flash custom 4.4.x roms with root.

But if you are on a custom rom with an unlocked bootloader and you ODIN to the stock Verizon 4.4.2 that rolled out yesterday, you'd get a locked (possibly permanently) bootloader and a potentially un-rootable 4.4.2 rom.
The Following User Says Thank You to xnatex21 For This Useful Post: [ View ]
13th June 2014, 08:03 PM   |  #6  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 0
 
8 posts
Join Date:Joined: Nov 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by xnatex21

The only way you'd be able to get root is if someone finds a root exploit for this specific device and 4.4.2 (assuming you're on 4.3 with a locked bootloader already).

If you don't have a locked bootloader, then you can flash custom 4.4.x roms with root.

But if you are on a custom rom with an unlocked bootloader and you ODIN to the stock Verizon 4.4.2 that rolled out yesterday, you'd get a locked (possibly permanently) bootloader and a potentially un-rootable 4.4.2 rom.

I am on 4.3 with the locked bootloader. Thanks again for the help.
14th June 2014, 02:33 AM   |  #7  
Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 0
 
4 posts
Join Date:Joined: Jun 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by xnatex21

If you're on 4.3 w/o root, you can follow this thread and regain root. - http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2752360

I haven't see anyone post 4.4.2 yet to manually flash if the download fails. I'm the same boat there. Give it a few days and I'm sure someone will post it.

My update failed too, so I am interested as well if someone has the 4.4.2 official
17th June 2014, 05:35 AM   |  #8  
Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 0
 
2 posts
Join Date:Joined: Dec 2010
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgarcia86

My update failed too, so I am interested as well if someone has the 4.4.2 official

Mine did the first couple times. What I did was odin to stock 4.3 again and take the small update on 4.3 and then the 4.4.2 worked after that.

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes