Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,778,311 Members 48,813 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] 4.4.2 KitKat Update Issues

Tip us?

kbrown.1407
Old
(Last edited by kbrown.1407; 13th June 2014 at 03:00 PM.)
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Default [Q] 4.4.2 KitKat Update Issues

So I used saferoot to root back at the 4.3 update; however, overnight one night my phone decided to install the tiny update Verizon pushed that kept 4.3 but took away root. Now I am trying to update to 4.4.2 via OTA update but it continuously fails...Since I've lost root already, I'm looking for a way to manually install the 4.4.2 update (knowing I won't have root access..but I don't know so...) or revert back to an 4.3 so I can root again with safestrap...

Can anyone offer any insight on either of these options? I'd probably prefer to revert to 4.3 and have root over 4.4.2 without....

kbrown.1407
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Default Phone Details

FYI

Android Version - 4.3
Baseband Version - I605VRUAND3

xnatex21
Old
Thanks Meter 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by kbrown.1407 View Post
So I used safestrap to root back at the 4.3 update; however, overnight one night my phone decided to install the tiny update Verizon pushed that kept 4.3 but took away root. Now I am trying to update to 4.4.2 via OTA update but it continuously fails...Since I've lost root already, I'm looking for a way to manually install the 4.4.2 update (knowing I won't have root access..but I don't know so...) or revert back to an 4.3 so I can root again with safestrap...

Can anyone offer any insight on either of these options? I'd probably prefer to revert to 4.3 and have root over 4.4.2 without....
If you're on 4.3 w/o root, you can follow this thread and regain root. - http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2752360

I haven't see anyone post 4.4.2 yet to manually flash if the download fails. I'm the same boat there. Give it a few days and I'm sure someone will post it.
The Following User Says Thank You to xnatex21 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

kbrown.1407
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Default Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by xnatex21 View Post
If you're on 4.3 w/o root, you can follow this thread and regain root. - http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2752360

I haven't see anyone post 4.4.2 yet to manually flash if the download fails. I'm the same boat there. Give it a few days and I'm sure someone will post it.
Thanks, I actually came across that post just a bit ago (apparently gave up on finding an answer a bit early, sorry). One other question though, if and/or when someone posts 4.4.2, is there a way to update manually and maintain root access? Or is root lost once it's updated in any way?

xnatex21
Old
Thanks Meter 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by kbrown.1407 View Post
Thanks, I actually came across that post just a bit ago (apparently gave up on finding an answer a bit early, sorry). One other question though, if and/or when someone posts 4.4.2, is there a way to update manually and maintain root access? Or is root lost once it's updated in any way?
The only way you'd be able to get root is if someone finds a root exploit for this specific device and 4.4.2 (assuming you're on 4.3 with a locked bootloader already).

If you don't have a locked bootloader, then you can flash custom 4.4.x roms with root.

But if you are on a custom rom with an unlocked bootloader and you ODIN to the stock Verizon 4.4.2 that rolled out yesterday, you'd get a locked (possibly permanently) bootloader and a potentially un-rootable 4.4.2 rom.
The Following User Says Thank You to xnatex21 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

kbrown.1407
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
The only way you'd be able to get root is if someone finds a root exploit for this specific device and 4.4.2 (assuming you're on 4.3 with a locked bootloader already).

If you don't have a locked bootloader, then you can flash custom 4.4.x roms with root.

But if you are on a custom rom with an unlocked bootloader and you ODIN to the stock Verizon 4.4.2 that rolled out yesterday, you'd get a locked (possibly permanently) bootloader and a potentially un-rootable 4.4.2 rom.
I am on 4.3 with the locked bootloader. Thanks again for the help.

mgarcia86
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:

My update failed too, so I am interested as well if someone has the 4.4.2 official

avengethis
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgarcia86 View Post
My update failed too, so I am interested as well if someone has the 4.4.2 official
Mine did the first couple times. What I did was odin to stock 4.3 again and take the small update on 4.3 and then the 4.4.2 worked after that.