Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,770,471 Members 40,369 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Root without having to unlock bootloader

Tip us?

devilsmack
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 23
Default Root without having to unlock bootloader

I successfully rooted my shield without unlocking bootloader using towelroot. When you install the apk and run it it says it will reboot in 15 seconds, but it will take a little longer than that for some reason so just let it sit for a while. After it reboot I had the SuperSU from chainfire's website downloaded. Use root explorer to open the zip. Go to common folder and install the apk. Worked for me.towelroot.com. http://download.chainfire.eu/447/Sup...SU-v1.99r4.zip.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using XDA Free mobile app
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to devilsmack For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

alucard_xs
Old
Thanks Meter 2
cool, I hope it just does not break future updates of the shield ...
The Following User Says Thank You to alucard_xs For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

devilsmack
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by alucard_xs View Post
cool, I hope it just does not break future updates of the shield ...
Me too. But it is very easy to unroot through the SuperSU app. I would just make sure you undo anything you change system wise before unrooting like uninstalling busybox.

rushless
Old
Thanks Meter 272
Quote:
Originally Posted by devilsmack View Post
I successfully rooted my shield without unlocking bootloader using towelroot. When you install the apk and run it it says it will reboot in 15 seconds, but it will take a little longer than that for some reason so just let it sit for a while. After it reboot I had the SuperSU from chainfire's website downloaded. Use root explorer to open the zip. Go to common folder and install the apk. Worked for me.towelroot.com. http://download.chainfire.eu/447/Sup...SU-v1.99r4.zip.

Are you on the 77 update? Kitkat.

psycho1200
Old
Thanks Meter 14
Thanks, do you know if this works on any other devices, i know that you root your N3 using the method, i want to use it on my moto G, running kk, i will try it, thanks again

leolawliet
Old
Thanks Meter 1060
Holy ****! Geohot made this?

Sent from my SHIELD using Tapatalk
Current device: NVIDIA Project Shield

ROM: Stock KitKat 4.4.2

My work:

Quote:
- E739 -
PenberRom1 - CM7 mod
PenberRom2 - PA+AOKP+CM9 mod
LeoDexed - Modded Stock ROM

- P769 -
PenberRom5 - twinnfamous' PACrom JB 4.3.1 with my tweaks + mods
CMX - My modded cm-10.2 ROM from source. Installer is AROMA based.

- Tweaks-
egl patch - Disable CPU Rendering + older build.prop tweaks
Codename LightningBolt - A set of tweaks I put together

devilsmack
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by psycho1200 View Post
Thanks, do you know if this works on any other devices, i know that you root your N3 using the method, i want to use it on my moto G, running kk, i will try it, thanks again
I believe Geohot said it should work on any phone with a kernel date before June 3. Shouldn't hurt to give it a try. It will either root or it won't. I think the Motorola community has been able to unlock some bootloaders after using this root method. Check the forums for you particular device.

devilsmack
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by rushless View Post
Are you on the 77 update? Kitkat.
Yes.

The Following User Says Thank You to devilsmack For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

kossiewossie
Old
Thanks Meter 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by devilsmack View Post
this worked for my shield using latest update with a locked bootloader. brilliant! saved me alot of time!

alucard_xs
Old
(Last edited by alucard_xs; 21st June 2014 at 04:01 PM.)
Thanks Meter 2
strange, the app seems to hang ... is it normal ?

Does not seem to work for me, when I click on "Make it ra1n", the app seems to hang and the texte beneath the "make it ra1n" is still "click the button to root no more reboot required" ... and that's all ...

UP : I use towelroot v2, did you use v1 ?
UP2: I tried v1 without success , it's written reboot in 15 seconds but i's been 6 minutes right now ... how long did you wait before it reboots ?