Car Charger Burnt My Phone!

OP gsdaheley

16th June 2014, 08:20 PM   |  #31  
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter: 3,137

7,112 posts
I agree with Chris_c81 on this. Computers (which a smartphone is) are designed to withstand a lot of heat. The phone feeling "warm" to the touch, or even somewhat "hot" is not the type of temperature that is going to cause damage to the device. And if the temp ever reaches close to those that would cause damage, the phone will shutoff automatically (I suppose that part goes with the car at the racetrack analogy).

Yes, charging at warmer temperatures over the long run has a negative effect on battery life. But many of the common charging behaviors are less than ideal. The most common probably being that frequent top-off charges are ideal, but not possible a lot of the time. I've been doing many these things for as long as I've been using smartphones. 5 devices over the course of 7 years or so, and I've never had a battery fail during the time I've been on a particular device.

And charging while using Nav? You practically have to, if you are doing a long drive. Otherwise, your battery is going to be too low to do anything by the time you get to your destination. I also charge while using WiFi hotspot for similar reasons. If you don't charge while doing power-intensive activities, the phone isn't going to have any charge when you need it.

---------- Post added at 03:20 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:15 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris_c81

But I'll humour you.

I can eat an energy bar or drink an energy drink while I'm running on a treadmill. My body might not like that, but it'll deal with it.

I'm with you on this, too. The analogy of the human body with a smartphone is a bit odd.

But even so, I rock climb and ice climb. Not constant high speed movement like a marathon runner, but very intensive, all day activities nonetheless. I can down some power bars of power gels and keep going, no problem. To not do so, would invite disaster (running out of power when you need it the most). There are other activities, like adventure racing and long distance biking (and others) where they do the same thing. Yes, you can't eat a cheeseburger while doing a dead spring. But you can down enough calories and carbs to keep your body going, while doing some of the activities I mentioned.
The Following User Says Thank You to redpoint73 For This Useful Post: [ View ]
16th June 2014, 08:44 PM   |  #32  
Thanks Meter: 0

13 posts
I love my m8 and I would be extremely upset with that situation. Its nice to see they replaced it for you. I would contact the manufacturer about the cable/charger. It may have been due to a bad shipment of product, especially since 99% of cell phone accessories are "made in" china. They may be able to mass produce it, but quality is horrible. Id try out other cables/chargers.
16th June 2014, 09:10 PM   |  #33  
Thanks Meter: 99

378 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by xxquicksh0txx

I never said anything you claimed was wrong.

I agree that the phone getting hot is normal.
However, using the Internet to browse Web pages is a lot different and requires a lot less power than using Turn by Turn navigation whilst streaming at the same time with your car in the windshield.

It's kind of like taking your car to a track day. Cars are meant to get hot and dissipate excess heat.
However there only so much your radiator and brakes can take before you need to stop, and take a break..

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

Quote:
Originally Posted by redpoint73

I agree with Chris_c81 on this. Computers (which a smartphone is) are designed to withstand a lot of heat. The phone feeling "warm" to the touch, or even somewhat "hot" is not the type of temperature that is going to cause damage to the device. And if the temp ever reaches close to those that would cause damage, the phone will shutoff automatically (I suppose that part goes with the car at the racetrack analogy).

Yes, charging at warmer temperatures over the long run has a negative effect on battery life. But many of the common charging behaviors are less than ideal. The most common probably being that frequent top-off charges are ideal, but not possible a lot of the time. I've been doing many these things for as long as I've been using smartphones. 5 devices over the course of 7 years or so, and I've never had a battery fail during the time I've been on a particular device.

And charging while using Nav? You practically have to, if you are doing a long drive. Otherwise, your battery is going to be too low to do anything by the time you get to your destination. I also charge while using WiFi hotspot for similar reasons. If you don't charge while doing power-intensive activities, the phone isn't going to have any charge when you need it.

---------- Post added at 03:20 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:15 PM ----------

I'm with you on this, too. The analogy of the human body with a smartphone is a bit odd.

But even so, I rock climb and ice climb. Not constant high speed movement like a marathon runner, but very intensive, all day activities nonetheless. I can down some power bars of power gels and keep going, no problem. To not do so, would invite disaster (running out of power when you need it the most). There are other activities, like adventure racing and long distance biking (and others) where they do the same thing. Yes, you can't eat a cheeseburger while doing a dead spring. But you can down enough calories and carbs to keep your body going, while doing some of the activities I mentioned.

http://youtu.be/ti4A6zofQkw

17th June 2014, 06:56 AM   |  #34  
Thanks Meter: 44

333 posts
More
I would get a decent charger (not the same kind that failed), and not worry too much about it. The phone won't let you damage it heat wise. Something people seem to forget is that the One will feel hotter than other phones, even when the internal temperatures are the same, or even lower because the entire body of the phone is acting as a heat sink. This is good for the CPU, GPU and battery temps as they can usually stay cooler this way, but the exterior of the phone will feel warmer.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread