Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,770,793 Members 41,624 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Question - Just Rooted Tab 10.1, how do I update going forward?

Tip us?

jericko
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1
Question [Q] Question - Just Rooted Tab 10.1, how do I update going forward?

Hello

Thanks to this forum, I was able to Root my Tab Pro 10.1 and edit my permissions.xml so Apps can use my SD card.

Now that I am rooted, what happens if Samsung pushes a update? Are they any apps that help preserve root over a update (I used to use Voodoo Root Keeper on my old Asus Tablet).

Or do we update and have to wait for a new root method?

Sorry if this has been asked before, I appreciate any advice.

Thanks
Jason

Jerryo100
Old
Thanks Meter 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by jericko View Post
Hello

Thanks to this forum, I was able to Root my Tab Pro 10.1 and edit my permissions.xml so Apps can use my SD card.

Now that I am rooted, what happens if Samsung pushes a update? Are they any apps that help preserve root over a update (I used to use Voodoo Root Keeper on my old Asus Tablet).

Thanks
Jason
I don't think you'll be able to do an ota update. When I have my rooted Tab Pro 12.2 check for updates, I get this message, "Your device has been modified. Software updates are not available." Hopefully SamMobile http://www.sammobile.com/firmwares/ has the update soon after the ota. Then download for your region and try to root again. It'll be a first for me too.
The Following User Says Thank You to Jerryo100 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

aybesea69
Old
Thanks Meter 13
Quote:
Hello

Thanks
Jason
First of, you should never have to root again. The scary part is over. You should however install TWRP. Then when a new ROM gets released, you do a TWRP backup, and flash the new ROM . No muss, no fuss. You should also be using Titanium Backup on a regular basis so that you always have a current backup of your apps and data. Much faster, easier and SAFER than an OTA backup from the manufacturer.

Sent from my SM-T520 using Tapatalk
The Following User Says Thank You to aybesea69 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

jericko
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerryo100 View Post
I don't think you'll be able to do an ota update. When I have my rooted Tab Pro 12.2 check for updates, I get this message, "Your device has been modified. Software updates are not available." Hopefully SamMobile http://www.sammobile.com/firmwares/ has the update soon after the ota. Then download for your region and try to root again. It'll be a first for me too.
Quote:
Originally Posted by aybesea69 View Post
First of, you should never have to root again. The scary part is over. You should however install TWRP. Then when a new ROM gets released, you do a TWRP backup, and flash the new ROM . No muss, no fuss. You should also be using Titanium Backup on a regular basis so that you always have a current backup of your apps and data. Much faster, easier and SAFER than an OTA backup from the manufacturer.

Sent from my SM-T520 using Tapatalk
Hello Aybesea69, are there just stock ROMS of the OTA released?

I am familiar with TWRP, TB and flashing.

Jerryo100
Old
Thanks Meter 4
If you're feeling adventurous, there's this: http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2776206
It's still in the early stages, but looks promising.
The Following User Says Thank You to Jerryo100 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

jaegorith
Old
Thanks Meter 18
I was only able to update using Kies, not OTA. Root was gone.

Sent from my SM-T520 using XDA Premium HD app

jericko
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaegorith View Post
I was only able to update using Kies, not OTA. Root was gone.

So you were rooted, and updated using Kies? Then you lost root? Were you able to re-root?

jaegorith
Old
Thanks Meter 18
Quote:
So you were rooted, and updated using Kies? Then you lost root? Were you able to re-root?
Sorry, I haven't tried to re-root. I'm going to wait until custom ROMs are available. But yes to your other questions. While my device was rooted, whenever I checked for updates from the tablet, I kept getting the error message that my device is modified and no updates were available. So I installed Kies on my PC to check for updates. Kies found the latest update and installed it successfully. I lost root once the update completed.

The Following User Says Thank You to jaegorith For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]