Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,732,479 Members 47,982 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

What to lose if I root my i9505 (I9505XXUGNE5)

Tip us?

myawan
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 679
Default What to lose if I root my i9505 (I9505XXUGNE5)

I got my i9505 unlocked without any warranty. Its running stock I9505XXUGNE5. What could be consequences if I root my device?

Would I be able to receive OTA updates after rooting?

Do I need to delete all KNOX related stuff after rooting? Because I've heard that CF root method does interfere with KNOX in such a way that you get random reboots.

fleming.patel
Old
Thanks Meter 12
Firstly you have a i9505 unlocked so there are no problem for root.Secondly if u will root u can't receive ota updates and when you are trying to root thay ask you stop the knox...after cf-rooted you never install knox again...because your flash counter start counting...but your device supported triangleaway so u can clear all your counter and u also back to official.

Sent from my GT-I9500 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app
My Devices

Samsung Galaxy S4 I9500:::
Cyanogenmod 11

HTC One:::
ASOPA 4.4+ Paranoidandroid
The Following User Says Thank You to fleming.patel For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

myawan
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 679
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleming.patel View Post
Firstly you have a i9505 unlocked so there are no problem for root.Secondly if u will root u can't receive ota updates and when you are trying to root thay ask you stop the knox...after cf-rooted you never install knox again...because your flash counter start counting...but your device supported triangleaway so u can clear all your counter and u also back to official.

What I understand from your post is:

1) I can't receive OTA updates after rooting, so how will I upgrade to latest stock? Using Odin?
2) If I use CF-Root, KNOX will be deleted and I should not install it again, right?
3) Knox counter can be cleared using 'triangleaway', right?

So it means there is not much to lose other than KNOX? My last android phone was Xperia U and when I unlocked its bootloader its DRM keys were destroyed which means no more Bravia engine and XLoud. I hope nothing like this happens with S4.

fleming.patel
Old
Thanks Meter 12
Yoy can get ota update via kies and when you clear you flash counter u can install knox agian....and not much thing u lose except knox.

My Devices

Samsung Galaxy S4 I9500:::
Cyanogenmod 11

HTC One:::
ASOPA 4.4+ Paranoidandroid

btimeh
Old
Thanks Meter 8
You cant reset knox counter with triangleaway

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Lennyz1988
Old
Thanks Meter 181
You should read the first thread in the Q&A section about Knox. You are getting things mixed.

If you flash a good custom rom, you really don't want to go back to stock. Don't ask what a good rom is, because that's all about personal preference.
Current:

Samsung Galaxy S 4 I9505 | WanamLite v2.6

Retired:

Samsung Galaxy S II I9100 : AOKP 4.2.1
HTC Touch Pro2 | ROM: Valkyrie 6.5.23115TR2.5
HTC HD2 | DarkStone1337 [FroyoStone Sense - V3.2]
HTC Desire : Oxygen v2.1.3

yonye87
Old
Thanks Meter 1
you're confusing some stuff.

the Knox warranty void counter WILL BE TRIPPED if you'll root your device, hence, your Knox app will not work on your device.

there is no possible way to reset the Knox counter as for now.

You won't get OTA updates, because your phone will change from Official status to Custom, though with xposed module: wanam xposed, you can trick your device to be official, and still get updates via the option there: fake system status.

you can always flash a new rom with odin, even stock roms of course... but you will have to root the device again.

triangle away will reset the flash counter, but it will not reset the Knox warranty void counter.

you can see that counter in download mode (pwr button+volume down+home button)
Knox warranty void: 0x0 (not tripped) 0x1 (tripped)
The Following User Says Thank You to yonye87 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Mo Neenja31
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Sorry for the nooby question, but what does OTA mean?

Joku1981
Old
Thanks Meter 545

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mo Neenja31 View Post
Sorry for the nooby question, but what does OTA mean?
OTA is update Over The Air.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
CLICK "THANKS" BUTTON IF I HELPED YA

The Following User Says Thank You to Joku1981 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]