Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,810,941 Members 38,491 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Warranty if rooted?

Tip us?
 
l7777
Old
#21  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 78
Posts: 325
Join Date: May 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by brandogg View Post
Not being responsible for damage if you follow a dump truck too closely (traffic laws take precedent over that anyway) and voiding your warranty by rooting your phone aren't really anything alike. Of course the manufacturer can set their own (reasonable) warranty terms, if this was a real issue there would (probably) be a class action suit and rooting your phone would not void your warranty, and manufacturers and retailers would not be allowed to say that it does. Just like removing (or tampering with) the seal on an Xbox or PlayStation voids your warranty, or your water damage indicator showing that it was wet voids your warranty. Now, I'm not saying I'm with either side or that there aren't ways to skirt the issue, but there's really nothing to argue here. If the manufacturer says "if you do this, you're on your own" then if you do it, you're on your own.

Even Google tells you that rooting voids your warranty (and shows you how to do it)
https://developers.google.com/events...ions/332704837
And this is exactly the way companies and other entities want you to think. If you actually dig into it, there are plenty of things that are said in a semi authoritarian manner that are not backed by law. These are done either out of ignorance of the law or intentionally to try and prevent lawsuits from even being filed but make no mistake, when presented in a court of law they would mean nothing. Most companies will say that rooting a device voids the warranty because it is easier than trying to say "Rooting and doing something stupid will void your warranty." For example, rooting the device and then having the device stop charging because the solder joints on the charge port failed will still be covered if the matter was taken to court. The reasoning is that there is no way rooting broke the solder joints. The manufacturer would have to prove that your modification (root) broke the solder joints before they could void the warranty. In reality no one would ever try to take HTC to court over an issue like this and also likely that HTC would warranty the device anyway. Just friendly advice, don't believe something simply because a sign or piece of paper says so. Most are not legally binding. That all said, should you root the device and then mess it up by doing something wrong, be honest and don't take it back claiming a warranty problem.
 
vacoray
Old
#22  
vacoray's Avatar
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 9
Posts: 132
Join Date: Dec 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by l7777 View Post
And this is exactly the way companies and other entities want you to think. If you actually dig into it, there are plenty of things that are said in a semi authoritarian manner that are not backed by law. These are done either out of ignorance of the law or intentionally to try and prevent lawsuits from even being filed but make no mistake, when presented in a court of law they would mean nothing. Most companies will say that rooting a device voids the warranty because it is easier than trying to say "Rooting and doing something stupid will void your warranty." For example, rooting the device and then having the device stop charging because the solder joints on the charge port failed will still be covered if the matter was taken to court. The reasoning is that there is no way rooting broke the solder joints. The manufacturer would have to prove that your modification (root) broke the solder joints before they could void the warranty. In reality no one would ever try to take HTC to court over an issue like this and also likely that HTC would warranty the device anyway. Just friendly advice, don't believe something simply because a sign or piece of paper says so. Most are not legally binding. That all said, should you root the device and then mess it up by doing something wrong, be honest and don't take it back claiming a warranty problem.
If i root it and then messed it up, I would man up and not blame the issue on them. It is just wrong. I just dont want the hassle of them telling me because i rooted the phone, i messed it up when i know its not because of root. Sounds like Sprint and Verizon are the same. It depends on who you get and on what day. Thanks all for your imput!
Phone: HTC EVO LTE 4G
Rooted: DirtyRacun S-Off
Hardware: 0003
Recovery: TWRP 2.4.1.0
HBoot: 1.12.2222
Kernel: Stock
Radio: 1.12.11.1210
PRI: 2.97_003
Rom: MeanBean_3.02
Theme: Stock
32GB SD Card
2000 mAh battery
 
brandogg
Old
#23  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 83
Posts: 608
Join Date: Jul 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by l7777 View Post
And this is exactly the way companies and other entities want you to think. If you actually dig into it, there are plenty of things that are said in a semi authoritarian manner that are not backed by law. These are done either out of ignorance of the law or intentionally to try and prevent lawsuits from even being filed but make no mistake, when presented in a court of law they would mean nothing. Most companies will say that rooting a device voids the warranty because it is easier than trying to say "Rooting and doing something stupid will void your warranty." For example, rooting the device and then having the device stop charging because the solder joints on the charge port failed will still be covered if the matter was taken to court. The reasoning is that there is no way rooting broke the solder joints. The manufacturer would have to prove that your modification (root) broke the solder joints before they could void the warranty. In reality no one would ever try to take HTC to court over an issue like this and also likely that HTC would warranty the device anyway. Just friendly advice, don't believe something simply because a sign or piece of paper says so. Most are not legally binding. That all said, should you root the device and then mess it up by doing something wrong, be honest and don't take it back claiming a warranty problem.
Right, rooting would never cause your solder joints to break - but it still voids your warranty, regardless of what happens afterwards. Just like if back in the day if you modded your Xbox 360, but later got the RRoD, you're SOL because you voided your warranty, even though it's a hardware flaw that caused the RRoD (or if you get banned from Xbox Live and your warranty voided, without getting the RRoD) and completely unrelated to anything done by the user. The software on your phone is warrantied just like the hardware, and if you modify either part, you (typically) void your warranty. I don't get why this is even an issue. I get that some things are not black and white, but when it comes to a warranty, and something is explicitly stated will void yours, then it's pretty cut and dry.
 
jkbane
Old
#24  
jkbane's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 65
Posts: 195
Join Date: Feb 2011

 
DONATE TO ME
I cant seem to relock the bootloader
 
aer0zer0
Old
(Last edited by aer0zer0; 5th June 2014 at 11:22 PM.)
#25  
aer0zer0's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 51
Posts: 317
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Cortland NY
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkbane View Post
I cant seem to relock the bootloader
same here, after i run the echo command ( i CP the command) i get a set of arrows and some odd text

edit all good now
Dear lord... please allow this dangerous combination of hair spary, bat slobber, and D.O.T. four automatic transmission fluid to excite my mind, occupy my spirits, and enrage my body, provoking me to kick any man or woman in the back of the head regardless of what he or she has or has not done unto me.
 
del9800
Old
#26  
del9800's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 29
Posts: 147
Join Date: Jul 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by aer0zer0 View Post
same here, after i run the echo command ( i CP the command) i get a set of arrows and some odd text

edit all good now
Im getting same thing, what did you do different?
 
Doc Ames
Old
#27  
Junior Member
Thanks Meter 17
Posts: 29
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Bloomington, MN
Quote:
Originally Posted by brandogg View Post
Right, rooting would never cause your solder joints to break - but it still voids your warranty, regardless of what happens afterwards. Just like if back in the day if you modded your Xbox 360, but later got the RRoD, you're SOL because you voided your warranty, even though it's a hardware flaw that caused the RRoD (or if you get banned from Xbox Live and your warranty voided, without getting the RRoD) and completely unrelated to anything done by the user. The software on your phone is warrantied just like the hardware, and if you modify either part, you (typically) void your warranty. I don't get why this is even an issue. I get that some things are not black and white, but when it comes to a warranty, and something is explicitly stated will void yours, then it's pretty cut and dry.
I realize this thread is dead. However, I just had to chime in here. In the United States, rooting absolutely, positively, does not void your warranty. Your phone does not come with a software warranty. The software is provided as-is and without warranty, expressed or implied. Software warranties are usually relegated to enterprise and are irrelevant to this discussion. Physically opening an Xbox and running a program as root are not comparable. The previous poster (I7777) was correct. Warrantors (manufactures providing a warranty) cannot set whatever terms they choose for providing warranty service. If HTC sent you a document stating that you understand that any unauthorized software modifications void your warranty and you signed it, rooting your phone still wouldn't void your warranty. Warrantors have to comply with the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act enacted in 1975. One of the requirements for Warrantors was described by I7777. Manufactures have to prove that your actions caused the defect in order to deny you warranty repair or replacement. There's a reason why HTCDEV unlock states that "unlocking your bootloader may void your warranty". If it did unequivocally void your warranty I assure you, they would say so. I don't understand why this warranty misconception exist with phones to the extent that it does. Nobody would ever suggest that you risk voiding the warranty on your PC by running a program or operation that requires administrative privileges.

A video that XDA did regarding rooting, your warranty, and the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9YcIHaajda8
The Following User Says Thank You to Doc Ames For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]
 
hgoldner
Old
#28  
hgoldner's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 540
Posts: 2,074
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Southeastern Pennsylvania
What he said (and I practice law when I'm not hanging out on xda).

One other important thing to note, provided you are not actually taking the phone into a store to replace it (which shouldn't matter but you will run into all types in the retail stores), provided you just arrange for a warranty replacement over the phone, you will ship your handset to some refurbishing company somewhere which will take the phone out of the box and bulk wipe it before starting to refurbish it. Nobody is ever going to see your customized hboot, or your personal splash screen, or your custom ROM and/or kernel. There's just no way those companies could make any money doing what they do if they actually checked the phones to see if they were "modified."

I don't know of a single person who was flagged on returning a rooted handset for warranty issues. I've returned many MANY for a variety of issues (bad camera; USB port failed; etc. etc.) and not once has anyone invalidated the warranty return because I was rooted or bootloader unlocked.

And to those who decry warranty returns by people who incompetently bork their own phones (and there are a few), I would suggest that there are lots of drivers who make mistakes while driving, but if the car is defective, they are and should be legally protected from manufacturing defects anyway.
Verizon Wireless HTC One M8 - Rooted/S-Off
Firmware/Recovery/ROM: 2.21.605.2, TWRP, Skyfall
Asus Transformer TF300T - Rooted/unlocked
Firmware/Recovery/ROM: 10.6.1.27.5; TWRP; CROMI-X
Nexus 7 FHD (2013) - Rooted/locked - KitKat KTU84P (v4.4.4)
Chromecast - Rooted
Firmware/ROM:: FlashCast; Eureka ROM
Retired devices: HTC Rezound; Nexus 7 (2012); HTC Droid Incredible; Arnova 10 G2
The Following User Says Thank You to hgoldner For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]
 
bda714
Old
#29  
Member
Thanks Meter 1
Posts: 36
Join Date: Jan 2014
Info 2 Re: Re S-on

Quote:
Originally Posted by kc6wke View Post
This is how I did Mine.

I don't know if S-OFF can be achieved again after writing S-On. I did not Try
I have followed this return to stock guide exactly (from another location but exactly the same) and when I tried to delete SuperSU with the uninstall option found in the settings, it would uninstall, however, upon rebooting the phone, SuperSU would re appear every time. I have looked for an answer everywhere and cannot find a way to completely unroot. I have used "weaksauce" and "firewater" to root, S-off and unlock the bootloader again. So I can confirm that this does work.

On a side note/question: I am returning my phone to HTC for an "HTC Advantage" screen replacement. I have read a lot about rooting, does and does not void your warranty... as I am not a lawyer and do not really ever read much of the user agreements for anything, I figure the best thing to do would be to try to cover up any evidence and try to restore the device back to stock. There does not seem to be a completely stock RUU but only one that comes pre rooted. Does anyone know a way to achieve S-on and Locked status with no root? I thought maybe a change in the order of steps? Or a stock RUU in an executable form or one that is not already rooted. Maybe a way to remove the rooted status from the image? My device is a VZW_001, Thank you for any help!
 
berndblb
Old
#30  
berndblb's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 876
Posts: 2,695
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Quote:
Originally Posted by bda714 View Post
I have followed this return to stock guide exactly (from another location but exactly the same) and when I tried to delete SuperSU with the uninstall option found in the settings, it would uninstall, however, upon rebooting the phone, SuperSU would re appear every time. I have looked for an answer everywhere and cannot find a way to completely unroot. I have used "weaksauce" and "firewater" to root, S-off and unlock the bootloader again. So I can confirm that this does work.

On a side note/question: I am returning my phone to HTC for an "HTC Advantage" screen replacement. I have read a lot about rooting, does and does not void your warranty... as I am not a lawyer and do not really ever read much of the user agreements for anything, I figure the best thing to do would be to try to cover up any evidence and try to restore the device back to stock. There does not seem to be a completely stock RUU but only one that comes pre rooted. Does anyone know a way to achieve S-on and Locked status with no root? I thought maybe a change in the order of steps? Or a stock RUU in an executable form or one that is not already rooted. Maybe a way to remove the rooted status from the image? My device is a VZW_001, Thank you for any help!
Your phone will get to a contractor who will just flash it back to stock. That the underpaid tech will even check the status of the phone is very unlikely.
There's a guide in this forum to RUU your phone back to stock. Trying to get it back to S-on is risky and unnecessary, see above.

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes