[Q] What If I don't care about tripping knox?

OP sdeppert

28th May 2014, 05:38 AM   |  #1  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 0

2 posts
I have a question. I have a Verizon Galaxy Note 3. I was wondering if it was possible to flash a custom ROM on my phone If I don't care about tripping Knox after being ignorant and updating to the Official KitKat firmware from Verizon. I've been searching for an answer for this for about a week and I'm not sure if I'm just wording it wrong. The only thing I got close to an answer to this question was someone said that you couldn't do it without tripping knox. I'm guessing that isn't correct being how motivated these phone companies seem to keep their crap installed on my phone. I really don't care about tripping knox and my warranty. I just want to get rid of flipboard and samsung push service off my phone. Can someone please point me in the right direction.
28th May 2014, 11:46 AM   |  #2  
Flag Milford MA
Thanks Meter: 96

426 posts
More
Your problem is you took the official OTA and no one has made a root method that works for it. Plus your bootloader incremented with the update. Which means if you try to flash a lower level one you'll soft brick at a minimum.

Before you took the update you could have rooted and flashed away. Tripping Knox counter only matters if you care to warranty your phone through Verizon or Samsung. If they see the counter at 1x0 or higher they know you've flashed illegal software at least once. They'll deny service. If you don't care. And don't ever intend to warranty or sell the phone. Then you're fine.

However. Like I said. Once you took the update. Unless you were able to keep root using super user survival mode or whatever. You're pretty screwed til someone finds a new exploit.

Sent from my GlaDos Baked Potato
2nd June 2014, 02:46 AM   |  #3  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 0

2 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Legato Bluesummers

Your problem is you took the official OTA and no one has made a root method that works for it. Plus your bootloader incremented with the update. Which means if you try to flash a lower level one you'll soft brick at a minimum.

Before you took the update you could have rooted and flashed away. Tripping Knox counter only matters if you care to warranty your phone through Verizon or Samsung. If they see the counter at 1x0 or higher they know you've flashed illegal software at least once. They'll deny service. If you don't care. And don't ever intend to warranty or sell the phone. Then you're fine.

However. Like I said. Once you took the update. Unless you were able to keep root using super user survival mode or whatever. You're pretty screwed til someone finds a new exploit.

Sent from my GlaDos Baked Potato

Thank you for for the reply. That pretty much confirmed what I was suspecting about flashing a different ROM after foolishly updating to KitKat. I had my phone rooted before, but I unrooted it when I was done cleaning up the bloat. You are right about soft bricking the phone. When I tried reverting back to jellybean, it would soft brick my phone and I would have to have to install a back up of the PIT file using ODIN. I'm going to do some more research to see how the authentication process works for these ROM files. There has to be away to modify the contents of the ROM unless there is a predetermined data size and the phone stops the write process. Again thank you for your time and good luck.
17th June 2014, 12:14 PM   |  #4  
Flag Anchorage, AK
Thanks Meter: 8

86 posts
More
Search again, by the way, you can do it now... Just wanted to let you know in case you stopped reading here

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
kitkat knox gn3 verizon
Previous Thread Next Thread