Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,769,208 Members 38,049 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Effect of salt water?

Tip us?

kabauterman
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 106
Default [Q] Effect of salt water?

Hello Guys,

I know the Z2 is Waterproof for 30 min at maximum 1.5 m deep in freshwater.

Saltwater, as far as I have read, is an absolute no go.

But my question is just, why?

Saltwater has a little higher thickness so it can no enter the phone as easy as freshwater does.
But it is highly corrosive to unprotected metal.

But of course the phones frame is made of aluminium wich is highly corrosion proof up to a pH-value of 9, saltwater has something arround 8.

So from the simple chemical point there should be no problem and Youtube shows in several videos that some brave people allready have done this.

So, what are the effects of saltwater and will it be enoght so wash it is freshwater afterwards?

Thanks in advance
MOTOROLA Milestone -> HTC Desire Z -> Google/Samsung Galaxy Nexus -> Google/LG Nexus 4 -> HTC One -> MOTOROLA RAZR i -> Google/LG Nexus 5 -> Sony Xperia Z2 -> OnePlus One Sandstone Black 64GB

misiakr
Old
Thanks Meter 5
I think it's about the seals. They are made of rubber, which can be (up to Sony, I don't know if it's truth) damaged by saltwater.

Wysłane z mojego D6503 przy użyciu Tapatalka

Envious_Data
Old
Thanks Meter 738
yes Salt is obviously harder and rougher than water in some respects so salty water will actualy erode even the glass on your device a bit more, its probably not a good idea to keep your phone in salt water for long at all
Devices:
Sony Xperia Z2 <-(id like my phone back pls its been 1 month XD)

Roms:
Envi-Rom Z2/S

kabauterman
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 106
I am just afraid of the headphone jack and the Speakers/Microphone outlets..

ok you can seal the headphone jack easily but what will happen to the microphone or the speakers..

I've just read something here: http://pocketnow.com/2014/02/19/smar...water-problems
MOTOROLA Milestone -> HTC Desire Z -> Google/Samsung Galaxy Nexus -> Google/LG Nexus 4 -> HTC One -> MOTOROLA RAZR i -> Google/LG Nexus 5 -> Sony Xperia Z2 -> OnePlus One Sandstone Black 64GB