Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,728,048 Members 46,412 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Broken screen already

Tip us?

simpletona70
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Default [Q] Broken screen already

So I'm sending in my phone already to get the screen fixed, which broke by some weird accident. But I have unlocked, rooted and all that jazz. I know HTC is going to wipe my phone when they get it, but do you think I'd have any issue because I have modified the recovery? I restored back to the stock rom with nothing installed except SuperSU. I could understand if I had a problem with the hardware in the phone itself, but they should have no reason not to fix my broken screen which has nothing to do with firmware or unlocking. I've already reset the phone myself which has no personal information. I haven't even set up my google account on it.

redpoint73
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 2789
I think reports have been mixed on whether HTC honors the screen replacement warranty on modded phones (bootloader unlocked, etc). Return the device to as close to stock as possible, and hope for the best is probably all you can do.

One person on here has mentioned that while the "regular" device warranty mentions that modding the phone may void the warranty; the "add-on" screen replacement warranty does not make any mention of this. So that may be an point of argument in your favor.
Please click the "Thanks" button if you found a post helpful!

Phone: AT&T HTC One (M8)

Tablet: Samsung Galaxy Tab Pro 8.4 (WiFi only)

simpletona70
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
I will HOPE as hard as I can. Might have to shell out $200 at the local repair shop. It would bother me though if it was rejected and all I want fixed is the screen, they have no buisness messing with my phone other than testing to make sure the screen works.

redpoint73
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 2789
HTC will fix the screen either way, the warranty question just determines whether they charge you or not. I think the charge is $250 if the warranty is not honored. So not much more than your local shop is going to charge. Plus, I think taking the phone apart is tricky, so I'd probably trust HTC to do it more than a local vendor. I've seen some real hack jobs on the One X (which is polycarbonate not metal, but similarly difficult to disassemble) by random repair shops. Although of course the quality of workmanship by repair shops will vary, and I'm sure there are plenty of good ones out there.
Please click the "Thanks" button if you found a post helpful!

Phone: AT&T HTC One (M8)

Tablet: Samsung Galaxy Tab Pro 8.4 (WiFi only)