How is signal strength on the M8?

Search This thread

MattMJB0188

Apr 30, 2011
I am curious how the signal reception, preferably in LTE performs on the M8? I am referring to the AT&T M8. Can anyone compare and contrast it between the S5 and iPhone 5S? I'd really appreciate it. Thanks

bigfdaddy2

Aug 12, 2012
My s5 gets better signal then the m8 unfortunately... I'm in lte and the m8 gives me issues sometimes when trying to send a pic to someone says after multiple attempts failed .... But I still love my m8 and ditched Sammy....

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

Reactions: MattMJB0188

MattMJB0188

Apr 30, 2011
My s5 gets better signal then the m8 unfortunately... I'm in lte and the m8 gives me issues sometimes when trying to send a pic to someone says after multiple attempts failed .... But I still love my m8 and ditched Sammy....

How much of a difference in dbm is the signal from the S5?

bigfdaddy2

Aug 12, 2012
Honestly idk the dBm but I know at my friends place with the s5 I'd have 1-2 bars of service but with the m8 I only get no service or 1 bar and it comes in sporaticly ...

redpoint73

Inactive Recognized Contributor
Oct 24, 2007
Honestly idk the dBm but I know at my friends place with the s5 I'd have 1-2 bars of service but with the m8 I only get no service or 1 bar and it comes in sporaticly ...

You can't go by the bars being displayed, as they are nearly meaningless. The bars literally have no industry standard or rules as to what they represent, so the manufacturers can actually make them mean/represent whatever they want. All you can reliably depend on the bars to represent, is that more bars is "better" signal than less bars on that particular device (can't compare between different phones).

If you are having signal drops, dropped calls etc., that is a different story and may indeed mean poorer reception.

You can go to Settings>About>Network and see signal strength in dBm which is a valid indicator of signal strength.

sheek360

Apr 23, 2010
Depends on the radio too. I'm finding the 1.16 radio to be quite superior. Data speeds have improved and I'm holding 10-15dcb lower too. At work I was typically around 110dcb due to the buildings construction. Very thick walls. Now I'm in between 95-100dcb. Never ever worse than 100dcb

redpoint73

Oct 24, 2007
I ended up picking the Developer Edition (still waiting for it), so I wonder if the HTC M8 has a better radio.

If you intend to s-ff (and why not, since DE is already bootloader unlocked) you can always flash whatever radio you want. AFAIK, the hardware is the same as the AT&T branded version.

There is typically not always a "better" radio. Its often dependent on your specific geographic location. Some folks will find a certain radio to perform better, while others may find it worst (and better luck with a different radio). So unfortunately, it usually comes down to trial and error.

MattMJB0188

Apr 30, 2011
If you intend to s-ff (and why not, since DE is already bootloader unlocked) you can always flash whatever radio you want. AFAIK, the hardware is the same as the AT&T branded version.

There is typically not always a "better" radio. Its often dependent on your specific geographic location. Some folks will find a certain radio to perform better, while others may find it worst (and better luck with a different radio). So unfortunately, it usually comes down to trial and error.

You seem very knowledgable on HTC phones. Can I ask what S-off is? I was going to use this tool to flash recovery. As far I as know, I do not have to do anything with the bootloader since its already unlocked. I was under the impression once I flash a custom recovery, I can install any radio I want? Do HTC phones not allow the flashing of modems/radios?

redpoint73

Oct 24, 2007
You seem very knowledgable on HTC phones. Can I ask what S-off is? I was going to use this tool to flash recovery. As far I as know, I do not have to do anything with the bootloader since its already unlocked. I was under the impression once I flash a custom recovery, I can install any radio I want? Do HTC phones not allow the flashing of modems/radios?

S-off/S-on is a security flag used exclusively by HTC, so if you are new to their phones it won't be familiar to you. S-off is a state used primarily (I believe) by HTC engineering, and means "security off". In theory, all security checks are bypassed. Which for purposes of modding the phone, is usually a good thing. S-off is not needed to flash ROMs or recovery. But is needed to do things like flashing radios, hboot, downgrading by RUU, and some other things.

Only thing to keep in mind, is that since all security checks are off, this includes some critical safeguards like device check. So you need to be careful that you only flash mods intended for the M8. Not difficult if you stay in the proper device forum. But I've seen instances on my old One X (EVITA) where some folks flashed mods intended for the ENDEAVORU (also called the One X, but completely different chipset hardware) and bricked the phone. In the S-on condition, the device check would have failed, and prevented the mod from being flashed, therefore saving the phone from being bricked.

I personally do not recommend using any toolkits to mod the phone. They seem like a quick and easy way to get things done. But in doing so, you are robbing yourself of a valuable learning opportunity. Knowledge that if often valuable when things don't go quite right (which is practically inevitable, even for the most careful of users) when modding the phone.

In particular, flashing a custom recovery is simple as long as you have adb/fastboot installed. Which is also highly recommended, as they are valuable troubleshooting tools. If you have adb/fastboot setup, installing recovery is as simple as placing the recovery file in the fastboot folder on your compter, opening command prompt, and typing the single command (with phone connected):

fastboot flash recovery "filename.img"

Where "filename.img" is the actual file name of the recovery (with no quotes).

For links to s-off process, custom recoveries, radio thread, and other useful resources, check out my Index thread: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2751432

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

You can't go by the bars being displayed, as they are nearly meaningless. The bars literally have no industry standard or rules as to what they represent, so the manufacturers can actually make them mean/represent whatever they want. All you can reliably depend on the bars to represent, is that more bars is "better" signal than less bars on that particular device (can't compare between different phones).

If you are having signal drops, dropped calls etc., that is a different story and may indeed mean poorer reception.

You can go to Settings>About>Network and see signal strength in dBm which is a valid indicator of signal strength.
    I have absolutely no issues maintaining a strong 4G LTE signal throughout 95% of the bay area (thus far) with my M8 on ATT.

S-off/S-on is a security flag used exclusively by HTC, so if you are new to their phones it won't be familiar to you. S-off is a state used primarily (I believe) by HTC engineering, and means "security off". In theory, all security checks are bypassed. Which for purposes of modding the phone, is usually a good thing. S-off is not needed to flash ROMs or recovery. But is needed to do things like flashing radios, hboot, downgrading by RUU, and some other things.

Only thing to keep in mind, is that since all security checks are off, this includes some critical safeguards like device check. So you need to be careful that you only flash mods intended for the M8. Not difficult if you stay in the proper device forum. But I've seen instances on my old One X (EVITA) where some folks flashed mods intended for the ENDEAVORU (also called the One X, but completely different chipset hardware) and bricked the phone. In the S-on condition, the device check would have failed, and prevented the mod from being flashed, therefore saving the phone from being bricked.

I personally do not recommend using any toolkits to mod the phone. They seem like a quick and easy way to get things done. But in doing so, you are robbing yourself of a valuable learning opportunity. Knowledge that if often valuable when things don't go quite right (which is practically inevitable, even for the most careful of users) when modding the phone.

In particular, flashing a custom recovery is simple as long as you have adb/fastboot installed. Which is also highly recommended, as they are valuable troubleshooting tools. If you have adb/fastboot setup, installing recovery is as simple as placing the recovery file in the fastboot folder on your compter, opening command prompt, and typing the single command (with phone connected):

fastboot flash recovery "filename.img"

Where "filename.img" is the actual file name of the recovery (with no quotes).

For links to s-off process, custom recoveries, radio thread, and other useful resources, check out my Index thread: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2751432