Boost the Brightness of Your Sony Xperia Z1’s LED

I think the last time anyone has ever used a physical torch to find their earphones, … more

XDA Xposed Tuesday: Modify the Look of Your Volume Control – XDA TV

How many screenshots have you seen with a volume status bar in the … more

Prepare Your Nokia X2 for Battle with Nokia X2 Tools

Unveiled in June this year, the Nokia X2 is the Finnish companys second crack at an … more

Increase the Speaker Volume of Your Samsung Gear 2 with Tool and Tutorial

I think its pretty safe to say that any sound coming out of a … more

[Q]Will a HTC Dual Sim 802w work on AT&T with HSPA

27th May 2014, 04:35 PM   |  #1  
OP Member
Flag North Carolina
Thanks Meter: 9

35 posts
More
After a lot of reading and researching, but not asking on the forum till now , I seen no indications that a China Unicom 802w model would have any issues with UMTS/HSPA on 3G as the phone specifications are published. But I can only get EDGE connections. I have read of similar issues here and other forums, but they have pretty much been related to T-Mobile use and other problems not related to my situation AFAIK.

My area is in the Carolina's where I understand most all of the 3G service is on the 1900Mhz band. I have personal (Nexus 5) & business (Samsung Rugby Pro) accounts on AT&T and both SIM's are currently provisioned with LTE. I have been using my Nexus 5 SIM for testing. I can select my Nexus5 to 3G only and get HSPA coverage.

I have updated the phone per shwetkprabhat's guide :http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2559891 and also installed KitKat 4.4.2.

The phone is selected to the GSM/WCDMA Auto mode. I have selected other modes from the Network dialog as well as selected other modes from withing the "Service" menu. All with no results but EDGE connection speeds.

I selected the default AT&T provider APN settings on SIM setup and they appear correct. I have also tried other settings I found on other sites including settings for International phones from AT&T's support site.

So. Are there any users here with a HTC One China Unicom 802w successfully using it on AT&T with HSPA data speeds that can tell me where my problem might be?

Or is it that this phone won't work with nothing but EDGE connectivity period on AT&T...

My Fast boot variables:
version: 0.5
version-bootloader: 2.49.0000
version-baseband: U3.14.3509.14
version-cpld: None
version-microp: None
version-main: 4.21.401.5
version-misc: PVT SHIP S-OFF
serialno:
imei:
meid: 00000000000000
product: m7cdug
platform: HBOOT-8064
modelid: PN0771000
cidnum: HTC__A07
battery-status: good
battery-voltage: 4264mV
partition-layout: Generic
security: off
build-mode: SHIP
boot-mode: FASTBOOT
commitno-bootloader: dirty-f6d46eca
hbootpreupdate: 11
gencheckpt: 0

A picture of my Boot Screen is attached
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	BootScreen.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	80.6 KB
ID:	2765760  
29th May 2014, 05:59 PM   |  #2  
OP Member
Flag North Carolina

35 posts
More
So silence for two days.... Yes it's hard sometimes

Well after doing "deeper" research, is this the "almost undocumented feature" that is the killer..... The 802w is really only specified for HSPA or better on the 900 and 2100 bands and not the 1900 band....

I ran across several posts that sounded related to not being able to get HSPA or better on 1900Mhz.

One is from a guy trying to use a 802w on T-Mobile where his local area had been re-framed for 1900Mhz HSPDA. He has a Motorola XT910 that works, but the 802w would only get EDGE speeds.

I found another comment (don't remember where at the moment) where the dialog was that to make room for the sdcard, that the 1900MHZ antenna was removed. Don't know about that one....

The last was from GSMArena in the comments section on all the HTC One Dual SIM models.

One of those comments on issues around the 802w reads "yes meaning slot 1 is where you get the 3g on 900 and 2100 that's all it means.... read the technical specs you will see no 1900 HSPA"

I then noticed that at the top of the specifications on GSMArena, it shows the following:
HSDPA 850 / 1900 / 2100 - SIM 1
HSDPA 900 / 2100 - SIM 1

With no exception that I'm aware of, all other published specifications on the 802w shows up like the first line that includes 1900.

I happen to have a friend that reads Chinese. I had him go to HTC's Chinese website and translate the specifications for the 802w China Unicom model that i have.

This is what he translated for me:
SIM1: Up to HSPA (900/2100 MHz)

I would "really" love it if anyone can add any additional comments as I have 7 days to return the phone now
31st May 2014, 04:29 AM   |  #3  
Flag Columbus
Thanks Meter: 421

828 posts
Donate to Me
More
I have HSPA connection in columbus area using AT&T, T-mobile always edge. No special setting default AT&T apn.
The Following User Says Thank You to shwetkprabhat For This Useful Post: [ View ]
31st May 2014, 05:11 AM   |  #4  
OP Member
Flag North Carolina

35 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by shwetkprabhat

I have HSPA connection in columbus area using AT&T, T-mobile always edge. No special setting default AT&T apn.

Thanks! I'll look up that area and try to see what bands AT&T use for HSPA there. Looking around, I've not found a general utility to see what band a phone is connected on. Some Samsung's have it built into there diagnostics. Haven't seen anything specific to the HTC's however.
17th June 2014, 07:54 AM   |  #5  
Thanks Meter: 0

2 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by flexpackman

Thanks! I'll look up that area and try to see what bands AT&T use for HSPA there. Looking around, I've not found a general utility to see what band a phone is connected on. Some Samsung's have it built into there diagnostics. Haven't seen anything specific to the HTC's however.

Were you able to find any further information out or a way to get either H or H+ in the carolinas with the 802w? I have the same phone and have noticed only edge speeds when in NC. Other locations in the US seem to get H or H+ just fine with ATT...
17th June 2014, 03:09 PM   |  #6  
OP Member
Flag North Carolina

35 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by tupawk

Were you able to find any further information out or a way to get either H or H+ in the carolinas with the 802w? I have the same phone and have noticed only edge speeds when in NC. Other locations in the US seem to get H or H+ just fine with ATT...

Sorry, but nothing else.

I was travelling in the Syracuse, NY area last week and was receiving HSPA and better

There is a "Bring Your Own Device" on one of AT&T's support pages here. It lists "3G UMTS network in the 850/1900MHz bands" as what a phone needs for other than EDGE.

Since my original posts, I found several threads about 802w T-mobile users getting EDGE only speeds in markets that had been re-framed to 1900. Found another comment about the 802w frequencies in the Aussie Whirlpool forums - "The Chinese sites I checked show 900/2100Mhz 3G."

So it would appear that 1900Mhz is missing in the 802w.

To make things even worse for me, last week I dropped my 802w one day before I got a case in the mail for it and cracked the display in the bottom left corner

It still works fine, but I got so frustrated about repair costs that I ordered a Moto G Dual Sim 16GB XT1033 for $220. Got it in yesterday. A far cry from the 802w specifications, but it so far shows no lag running through my apps. It is quad band on 2G & 3G and am now getting HSPA+ here in the Carolina's!
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread