[MOD] Galaxy Mini S5570 louder headset HARDWARE MOD

OP Th3_uN1Qu3

14th June 2014, 05:22 PM   |  #1  
OP Junior Member
Flag Bucharest
Thanks Meter: 3

18 posts
More
Had one of those lying around for a while. It was missing some parts such as the screen, battery and volume buttons. I had purchased replacement screen and battery about 2 months ago, but i did not want to put it back together unless complete. So i waited for a source of volume buttons, and finally found a donor phone yesterday.

Wanted to use it as a secondary phone and for listening to music, since something broke in my SII, and the right headphone no longer has any sound. I don't want to open the SII it up again as it is my primary phone and works great in all other aspects. I know what broke (solder connections of the audio IC) and attempting a fix runs the risk of losing all sound, which i'd rather not.

So now with alI parts in place, i put the Galaxy Mini back together and installed this ROM: http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2308041

The Beats sound effects including in that ROM made it sound "okay", but it could use some extra oomph. So i took it apart again and looked for something. And found it... Even more obvious than other devices i've done this mod to. The audio was routed thru 2 33 ohm resistors before reaching the headphone socket. Considering that your typical headphones have a resistance of 32 or 16 ohms, this means that only one half (32 ohms) or one quarter (for 16 ohms) of the power the amp put out, actually made it to the headphones! This corresponds to a 3dB (for 32 ohms) or 6dB (for 16 ohms) increase in sound output.

Even with those two resistors bypassed, there is a bit more resistance between the amp outputs and the headphone socket (4 ohms), but i left it like that, as that little resistance has almost no effect on the volume, and helps protect the audio amp.

Note that in the pics, i have managed to pull off one of the resistors. That's okay, as i had no intention of putting them back on. It doesn't matter whether you solder wire on top of them, remove them and solder wire, or solder 0 ohm resistors instead, the outcome will be the same.

Tools needed:
  • Philips #00 screwdriver (to open the phone)
  • 0.1mm wire or 0 ohm 0402 resistors
  • Temperature controlled soldering iron with fine tip
  • Flux paste
  • 0.5mm solder

How to:
  • Solder 0.1mm wire over the two resistors in the picture, or
  • remove the resistors altogether (heat both sides with your iron, they will come off) and solder wire in place of the resistors or
  • remove the resistors and replace with 0 ohm resistors.
  • Enjoy a louder phone.

I am not responsible of any damage this modification may cause to your phone (or your ears).
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	galaxy mini s5570 main board.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	265.9 KB
ID:	2798075   Click image for larger version

Name:	galaxy mini s5570 audio resistors.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	265.1 KB
ID:	2798077   Click image for larger version

Name:	galaxy mini s5570 audio resistors bypassed.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	272.8 KB
ID:	2798078  
The Following User Says Thank You to Th3_uN1Qu3 For This Useful Post: [ View ]
14th June 2014, 09:37 PM   |  #2  
OP Junior Member
Flag Bucharest
Thanks Meter: 3

18 posts
More
Have installed CM 10.1 (android 4.2.2) and the DSP Manager app. There are likely some audio enhancements in CM 10.1, as even before installing the DSP Manager it already sounded louder and cleaner than on 2.3.6 with the ROM mentioned above. With this hardware mod, the DSP manager and custom EQ it's awesome

This is the same version i have on my SII so i'm now getting along just as well with the Mini.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using XDA Free mobile app
Last edited by Th3_uN1Qu3; 14th June 2014 at 09:40 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Th3_uN1Qu3 For This Useful Post: [ View ]
17th June 2014, 04:12 PM   |  #3  
Flag Electrifying
Thanks Meter: 227

985 posts
More
OMG!!! So technical
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
galaxy mini, hardware, louder, volume
Previous Thread Next Thread