Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,804,192 Members 38,209 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Moto G/Cricket Wireless

Tip us?

rebretz000
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 193
Default Moto G/Cricket Wireless

Does anybody here have the Moto G (GSM) on Cricket Wireless? If so how is it. Debating on buying myself out of my Verizon Contract and going with Cricket. I'd save $600 a year.

doctor_evil
Old
(Last edited by doctor_evil; 11th June 2014 at 04:35 PM.) Reason: typo
Thanks Meter 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by rebretz000 View Post
Does anybody here have the Moto G (GSM) on Cricket Wireless? If so how is it. Debating on buying myself out of my Verizon Contract and going with Cricket. I'd save $600 a year.
While I can't comment about how a Moto G would work with Cricket Wireless, I can advise that a Moto X works great with it. I live in the Gainesville area in Georgia and I get 8 meg per second downloads and between 3 and 5 megs a second for my uploads according to speedtest.net.

My Wife is using Cricket on a Galaxy Nexus and her speeds aren't quite as nice as mine due my phone having LTE, but for her it's around 3 megs download and about 500K to 1 meg per second upload speeds.

we had previously been using Straight Talk and Net10 running on the same AT&T network and speeds were comparable to what my wife is getting currently, however we both used to have a lot of frustrating periods where our data connections would run slow or time out on us. We haven't had that problem with cricket, which is awesome.
currently using a GSM Developer Edition Motorola Moto-X with the stock rom for my daily driver
other phones:, Samsung Galaxy Discover SGH-730M & SGH-730G
Roms: Custom Rom for SGH-730M (or G)
The Following User Says Thank You to doctor_evil For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

rebretz000
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 193
Quote:
Originally Posted by doctor_evil View Post
While I can't comment about how a Moto G would work with Cricket Wireless, I can advise that a Moto X works great with it. I live in the Gainesville area in Georgia and I get 8 meg per second downloads and between 3 and 5 megs a second for my uploads according to speedtest.net.

My Wife is using Cricket on a Galaxy Nexus and her speeds aren't quite as nice as mine due my phone having LTE, but for her it's around 3 megs download and about 500K to 1 meg per second upload speeds.

we had previously been using Straight Talk and Net10 running on the same AT&T network and speeds were comparable to what my wife is getting currently, however we both used to have a lot of frustrating periods where our data connections would run slow or time out on us. We haven't had that problem with cricket, which is awesome.
THANK YOU.

Currently I have the Moto X Dev on Verizon and my wife has the Droid Ultra. Would really like to take them with us but the LTE wouldn't work. Just tired of paying so much money.

sprockkets
Old
Thanks Meter 22
Quote:
Works great. However, it is an XT1032, so no tmobile aws should you switch. No wifi tethering though you can bluetooth it with pdanet+.

And the bootloader is locked and no way to unlock via motorola. that's the biggest gripe.

Want mine? I just went to a us gsm model.

rebretz000
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 193
Quote:
Originally Posted by sprockkets View Post
Works great. However, it is an XT1032, so no tmobile aws should you switch. No wifi tethering though you can bluetooth it with pdanet+.

And the bootloader is locked and no way to unlock via motorola. that's the biggest gripe.

Want mine? I just went to a us gsm model.
No thanks. I was going to go with the US GSM Model from Motorola if I go. Or get a Nexus 5.

doctor_evil
Old
Thanks Meter 13
Quote:
No thanks. I was going to go with the US GSM Model from Motorola if I go. Or get a Nexus 5.
I switched my wife over to a unlocked Moto-G for her cricket wireless service, it's been flashed with CM11 nightly and is running very well for her, speeds are comparable to what she was getting. I think if you don't mind paying a little more the new 4G LTE version of the Moto G would work well for you.
currently using a GSM Developer Edition Motorola Moto-X with the stock rom for my daily driver
other phones:, Samsung Galaxy Discover SGH-730M & SGH-730G
Roms: Custom Rom for SGH-730M (or G)
The Following User Says Thank You to doctor_evil For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]