Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,785,101 Members 43,008 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] What to do now?

Tip us?
 
nxion
Old
#1  
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Posts: 15
Join Date: Jun 2014
Default [Q] What to do now?

So I have to admit I am pretty overwhelmed but the amount of information. So I wanted to find out from the community what do I do now.

My RAZR my is rooted, boot loader unlocked and on stock KK 4.4.2. I have no idea how to get the customer recovery on my phone the forrest ways as I have seen it many different ways. SO how it it I get TWRP on my device now. Once I do, is that how I install a rom? Will that wipe the stock one?
 
xKroniK13x
Old
#2  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 69
Posts: 179
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Atlanta, GA
Easiest way to flash TWRP is through an app called "Flashify," which is found on the Google Play store. Download the correct version (TWRP 2.7.1.0 works well on the KK build) in ZIP format. Save to your phone. Open Flashify, backup your current recovery, and choose the new TWRP to flash. Reboot and see the new recovery.

In the new recovery, perform a full backup, throw it on your computer for safe keeping. There are a select few ROMs that work on the 3.4 kernel that the KK build uses, so if you would like to be opened to all the other ROMs, find the 98.30.1 update and flash it using your favorite method. After you flash back to the update, reinstall TWRP if it is gone, and then have fun.

To flash a ROM, just throw the ZIP file on your phone for your ROM, boot into TWRP and choose to install, and select the file(s) to flash. This does wipe the stock one. Perform a nandroid backup to save it.
The Following User Says Thank You to xKroniK13x For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]
 
nxion
Old
#3  
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Posts: 15
Join Date: Jun 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by xKroniK13x View Post
Easiest way to flash TWRP is through an app called "Flashify," which is found on the Google Play store. Download the correct version (TWRP 2.7.1.0 works well on the KK build) in ZIP format. Save to your phone. Open Flashify, backup your current recovery, and choose the new TWRP to flash. Reboot and see the new recovery.

In the new recovery, perform a full backup, throw it on your computer for safe keeping. There are a select few ROMs that work on the 3.4 kernel that the KK build uses, so if you would like to be opened to all the other ROMs, find the 98.30.1 update and flash it using your favorite method. After you flash back to the update, reinstall TWRP if it is gone, and then have fun.

To flash a ROM, just throw the ZIP file on your phone for your ROM, boot into TWRP and choose to install, and select the file(s) to flash. This does wipe the stock one. Perform a nandroid backup to save it.
Thanks for this, it makes things much clearer. I noticed in the flashify app that you can flash bot rims. DO I have to do that too? or is it just the recovery that I need to worry about?
 
xKroniK13x
Old
#4  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 69
Posts: 179
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Atlanta, GA
Quote:
Originally Posted by nxion View Post
Thanks for this, it makes things much clearer. I noticed in the flashify app that you can flash bot rims. DO I have to do that too? or is it just the recovery that I need to worry about?
I'm not sure what you're saying, but recovery is the important thing. Just flash ROMs through recovery. Read directions for each ROM before you do so as well. Most require wiping the System partition at the least, but it's best to do a factory reset (via TWRP) before an install. Backup your data with Titanium.
Please say thanks if a post helps you out.
"There's no point for democracy when ignorance is celebrated." -NOFX

Devices
Motorola Droid Razr M Unlocked on Cyanogenmod Nightlies 4.4.4
Archos G9 101 Developer Edition on Cyanogenmod 11 4.4.3
 
nxion
Old
#5  
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Posts: 15
Join Date: Jun 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by xKroniK13x View Post
I'm not sure what you're saying, but recovery is the important thing. Just flash ROMs through recovery. Read directions for each ROM before you do so as well. Most require wiping the System partition at the least, but it's best to do a factory reset (via TWRP) before an install. Backup your data with Titanium.
Sorry, I was trying to say in Flasify, there is the option to flash a boot and recovery image. I was asking if I had to do both.
 
xKroniK13x
Old
#6  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 69
Posts: 179
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Atlanta, GA
Quote:
Originally Posted by nxion View Post
Sorry, I was trying to say in Flasify, there is the option to flash a boot and recovery image. I was asking if I had to do both.
Boot image, I believe, is just the logo your phone displays when you first turn it on (think: red M, or after you unlock, the bootloader warning). Just the recovery is the important part.
Please say thanks if a post helps you out.
"There's no point for democracy when ignorance is celebrated." -NOFX

Devices
Motorola Droid Razr M Unlocked on Cyanogenmod Nightlies 4.4.4
Archos G9 101 Developer Edition on Cyanogenmod 11 4.4.3
 
Klen2
Old
#7  
Klen2's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 28
Posts: 138
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Prague
Quote:
Originally Posted by xKroniK13x View Post
Boot image, I believe, is just the logo your phone displays when you first turn it on (think: red M, or after you unlock, the bootloader warning). Just the recovery is the important part.
Boot image is linux kernel, do not try to touch it.
Motorola Droid Razr M XT907: GSM, PAC 4.4.4. RC1 nightlies
Samsung Galaxy Ace, ZTE Blade, ZTE Blade II, Huawei Ascend G300, ZTE Blade C V889S/907
The Following User Says Thank You to Klen2 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]
 
nxion
Old
#8  
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Posts: 15
Join Date: Jun 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Klen2 View Post
Boot image is linux kernel, do not try to touch it.
Good to know lol. Thank you.

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes


Give Your Notification Shade a Facelift with these Modding Guides

Modification has always been one of the strong suits of Android, due in … more

Keep Track of How Much Your Car Truly Costs with Car Logbook

It’s a very well established fact that cars are expensive. In addition to … more

New Nvidia SHIELD Tablet OTA! Moto G 4G Gets Official CyangenMod 11 Nightlies – XDA Developer TV

The Nvidia SHIELD Tablet gets its … more

Prevent Apps from Locking Screen Orientation with HaveOwnOrientation

Most applications on Android play nicely with both landscape and … more