Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,741,857 Members 44,026 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Kindle Fire doesn't show up on ADB or device manager

Tip us?

sd_shadow
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 1265

DONATE TO ME
check specific drivers do they match this?
No support via PM! Please ask in a public thread, that's what the forums are for.
Notify me by Posting @sd_shadow in thread I'll help you as much as I can...
Always in motion is the future

Quevvy
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quevvy View Post
I have unzipped it, and am running it from the unzipped location.
I was able to get the ADB working on a Windows 8 computer, but then when KFU tried to reboot into fastboot mode, it said "waiting for device" for a long time. I think it has frozen. I've tried resetting it by holding the power button for 20 seconds, but I haven't been able to get past the splash screen.

sd_shadow
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 1265

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
I was able to get the ADB working on a Windows 8 computer, but then when KFU tried to reboot into fastboot mode, it said "waiting for device" for a long time. I think it has frozen. I've tried resetting it by holding the power button for 20 seconds, but I haven't been able to get past the splash screen.
it maybe in fastboot mode, try restarting KFU a few times, or try command prompt
fastboot reboot-bootloader
if fastboot commands work you can flash Twrp manually
No support via PM! Please ask in a public thread, that's what the forums are for.
The Following User Says Thank You to sd_shadow For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Quevvy
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by sd_shadow View Post
it maybe in fastboot mode, try restarting KFU a few times, or try command prompt
fastboot reboot-bootloader
if fastboot commands work you can flash Twrp manually
I tried fastboot, to no avail. Then I ran KFU and during it, Windows said that the ADB device had been recognized, and then the installation of TWRP supposedly went through (have not been able to check it). Then I tried installing FFF, but got the < waiting for device > that was the original problem. This was back on the original computer (Windows 7), but will try on the Windows 8 computer now that the Kindle is back on.

sd_shadow
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 1265

DONATE TO ME
FFF installs with Twrp now

---------- Post added at 11:42 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:40 AM ----------

if twrp installed boot logo should have changed
do you see a press power for boot options?

---------- Post added at 11:45 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:42 AM ----------

Quevvy
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
FFF installs with Twrp now

---------- Post added at 11:42 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:40 AM ----------

if twrp installed boot logo should have changed
do you see a press power for boot options?

---------- Post added at 11:45 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:42 AM ----------

Hmm, the boot logo is still the same. I'm going to try and install TWRP again.

Quevvy
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Hmm, the boot logo is still the same. I'm going to try and install TWRP again.
So this is what seems to work the best for me (even though it doesn't work). With the Windows 8 computer, the Kindle is recognized in the ADB devices. I can run KFU and it actually is able to communicate with the device, but then the Kindle stalls when trying to reboot in fastboot mode. I cannot do anything with it in Windows 8. So I connect it to the Windows 7 machine, where I cannot install TWRP, but I can reboot it into normal mode, so it is not bricked, and it is still usable.

As far as I can tell, it never even got to the point where it would have started installing TWRP.

sd_shadow
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 1265

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
So this is what seems to work the best for me (even though it doesn't work). With the Windows 8 computer, the Kindle is recognized in the ADB devices. I can run KFU and it actually is able to communicate with the device, but then the Kindle stalls when trying to reboot in fastboot mode. I cannot do anything with it in Windows 8. So I connect it to the Windows 7 machine, where I cannot install TWRP, but I can reboot it into normal mode, so it is not bricked, and it is still usable.

As far as I can tell, it never even got to the point where it would have started installing TWRP.
try manually reboot to bootloader with
[fastboot] stock 6.2.1 fastboot mode without rooting or cables
if that works manually flash TWRP with Fastboot.exe

Quevvy
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
try manually reboot to bootloader with
[fastboot] stock 6.2.1 fastboot mode without rooting or cables
if that works manually flash TWRP with Fastboot.exe
I think my issue was the computer not recognizing the device once it was in fastboot mode. I reinstalled the drivers (which I had done before), but this time they worked on the Windows 8 computer, so I was able to get TWRP and FFF on the device. I am working on getting CM11 on it currently. Thanks for all the help so far!

Quevvy
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Thumbs up Done!

Quote:
I think my issue was the computer not recognizing the device once it was in fastboot mode. I reinstalled the drivers (which I had done before), but this time they worked on the Windows 8 computer, so I was able to get TWRP and FFF on the device. I am working on getting CM11 on it currently. Thanks for all the help so far!
I got it all working: TWRP, FFF, and CM11. As far as I can tell, there are no issues any more. I haven't tried ADB after putting CM11 on it, but I'm not going to worry about that since I already have the recovery and bootloader installed.