No registration required

Layman's guide to installing cm11 (kitkat) ouya firmware

OP PHYSC-1

23rd May 2014, 04:14 AM   |  #1  
OP Member
Thanks Meter: 21

84 posts
LAYMAN'S GUIDE TO INSTALLING CM11 KITKAT FIRMWARE ON THE OUYA

Download the zip file in this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fYwZ_l31-G8 youtube video description,follow this guide or follow my directions taken from his guide and made slightly different,all thanks go to the original creator without him i could not write this, i have done as i and others wished to know how to install cynogenmod CM11 firmware kitkat software on their ouya console.

STEP 1. This i cannot really guide you on in depth,you must have already installed clockworkmod recovery 6.0.3.2 if you do not have it you cannot do this firmware flash,you can download and use a tool called ouya oneclickrecovery.zip you extract it on your pc and run the .bat file in the folder for windows you extracted if on xp like me,but you must have fastboot and also adb drivers installed and once you make sure the ouya has clockworkmod recovery on it and you go into recovery and made a valid backup made in clockworkmod recovery,i suggest you go into the root of
your ouya (the main storage where sdcard and other folders reside)
and copy the clockworkmod folder with the backup in to an external drive,my guess here is you could copy the backup folder to restore from if you go back to ouya later.

STEP 2.Copy cm-11-20140510-UNOFFICIAL-ouya.zip, gapps-kk-20140105-signed.zip, ouyabootmenu-mlq-v2.0.4.zip, OuyaCWMrecovery6.0.3.2.img, recovery-clockwork-6.0.4.7-ouya.zip, if you watch the video you can follow that guide but i will not be installing ouya-keylayouts.zip so i'm skipping that. Just copy all those files to your ouya sdcard not an external sd card the ouyas internal sdcard,you must have these to do the firmware flash.

STEP 3.Now once clockwork is on and you are backed up reboot into recovery i just use rom manager app and choose reboot recovery option for this task it's easier,you will need to download that.Once in recovery you can go to step 4.

STEP 4.in recovery mode (clockworkmod recovery 6.0.3.2 ) choose install from zip option then installzip from sdcard and go to download find clockworkmod 6.0.4.7.zip file and select it scroll down to yes and click it when it says completed successfully go to reboot and click on no if asked after clicking reboot,you now are back to the ouya main screen go to rom manager app again choose reboot into recovery option,you should now be in the newer blue tone clockworkmod recovery menu version 6.0.4.7

STEP 5.choose wipe factory data reset then go back by scrolling down and selecting go back

STEP 6.Now select wipe cache and wipe the cache then go down to go back and click that,your back to the main recovery menu again

STEP 7.Now go to advanced and choose wipe dalvik cache and wipe it and go down to go back and choose that to land at the main recovery menu again

STEP 8.Click install from zip and choose install from sdcard then choose download folder then choose ouyabootmenu-mlq-v2.0.4.zip and install it then choose go back

STEP 9.Click install from zip and choose install from sdcard then choose download folder then choose cm-11-20140510-UNOFFICIAL-ouya.zip and install it then choose go back

STEP 10.Click install from zip and choose install from sdcard then choose download folder then gapps-kk-20140105-signed.zip and install it then choose go back

STEP 11.Now choose reboot system and say nop to the following question,the system will now reboot and a menu appears,this is bootmenu do not touch anything.You will now boot into Cynogenmod C11 kikat firmware

STEP 12.Follow the setup procedure you need wifi for this i believe but don't quote me?

Job Done PHEW!

UPDATE: If you already have rooted and installed clockworkmod recovery then simply download the file linked at the top and extract it,then start at STEP 2.

A COULE OF ADDED NOTES: I had setup xbmc with addons prior to the cm11 installation and i moved it to an external drive upon returning from cm11 to stock ouya firmware i found: If you simply install the xbmc apk you used before because you moved the app all the attributing files are kept to the external drive and upon reinstallation the files are put back and therefore no reinstalling addons or downloading them is necissary.

ALSO NOTED: I found backing up the previous system before before CM11 installation does not allow you to restore from it,i think it's because android secure gets wiped or something?

ALSO NOTED IS: CM11 is not perfect but it is damn good to say the least,some bugs are browser closes at sudden intervals but does reopen to the last page still logged in?

Also if vpn unlimited is activated it reopens wifi as primary connection,this then disables the client working with ethernet plugged in until i disable wifi,also when vpn unlimited is automaticaly re-enabling the wifi the settings menu becomes inaccessible.

MORE IMPORTANTLY: To prevent the visual bugs or 99% of them turn on Disable HW overlays in developer options,enable developer options by going to settings/about tablet/hang over build number and click multiple times until developer options enabled message comes up.
Last edited by PHYSC-1; 27th May 2014 at 02:16 AM.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to PHYSC-1 For This Useful Post: [ View ]
2nd June 2014, 09:45 PM   |  #2  
Thanks Meter: 0

7 posts
Good guide. It should help a lot of people get the most out if their OUYA.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk
18th June 2014, 03:16 AM   |  #3  
Thanks Meter: 1

1 posts
A little more help on step one please...
Nice guide, but it seems that the first step if one of the most important, could you be a little more specific? Thanks for this guide I was like crazy searching for something like this
The Following User Says Thank You to noktamvulo For This Useful Post: [ View ]
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread