Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,730,261 Members 52,066 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

AT&T Messages

Tip us?

chp
Old
(Last edited by chp; 10th June 2014 at 04:33 AM.)
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 77
Default AT&T Messages APK 2.15.2.54

I've attached the latest AT&T Messages APK for sideloading.

I think I finally realized why AT&T Messages is not whitelisted for the HTC One (M8); it looks like the included Messages app is customized to work with the Visual Voicemail offering, rather than AT&T Messages:
http://www.att.com/esupport/article....id=f1sNI_2R8do

azwildcat98
Old
Thanks Meter 1
Default Does AT&T Messages still do text transcription?

Quote:
Originally Posted by chp View Post
I've been using AT&T Messages for some time now, primarily because of the free voicemail->text transcription. For some reason, it is flagged in Google Play Store as incompatible with the HTC One (M8).

I sideloaded it (version 2.14.5.41 as of this writing) and it seems to work fine on the M8.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...le.attmessages
Does the AT&T Messages app still do text transcription of voicemail? I have an M7, and after I changed plans (switched from a legacy plan to Mobile Share plan) the AT&T Messages app stopped transcribing voicemails. I worked with Tech Support for months trying to get it working again, but nothing worked. I noticed the AT&T M8 comes pre-installed with an 'HTC Visual Voicemail' app that apparently offers voicemail text transcription. Was hoping this would have been included on the Sense 6.0 update for the M7 which just rolled out, but it wasn't. I'm literally thinking of upgrading to the M8 just to get ths HTC Visual Voicemail app. Can anyone confirm that the HTC Visual Voicemail M8 transcribes voicemail just like (or hopefully better than) the AT&T Messages app used to? If so, why would anyone with an M8 want to install AT&T Messages anymore?

tommy_riley
Old
Thanks Meter 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by azwildcat98 View Post
Does the AT&T Messages app still do text transcription of voicemail? I have an M7, and after I changed plans (switched from a legacy plan to Mobile Share plan) the AT&T Messages app stopped transcribing voicemails. I worked with Tech Support for months trying to get it working again, but nothing worked. I noticed the AT&T M8 comes pre-installed with an 'HTC Visual Voicemail' app that apparently offers voicemail text transcription. Was hoping this would have been included on the Sense 6.0 update for the M7 which just rolled out, but it wasn't. I'm literally thinking of upgrading to the M8 just to get ths HTC Visual Voicemail app. Can anyone confirm that the HTC Visual Voicemail M8 transcribes voicemail just like (or hopefully better than) the AT&T Messages app used to? If so, why would anyone with an M8 want to install AT&T Messages anymore?
I can't really compare to the regular at&t messages vs the new htc visual voicemail/messages all in one app - but I was pleasantly surprised to have this feature for free where as I used to have to pay sprint $2.99 a month. Having said that the transcriptions don't really do well - I'd say almost 50% of the words from all the VM's I've received have been improperly transcribed making it almost impossible to get the gist of what the caller was trying to say, so I have to listen to the VM anyway. Not sure if this is on par with what the original ATT messages app did or better or worse.

chp
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 77
http://att.com/htcvvm

Based on this article, text transcription of voicemail is included at no additional charge, or at least on the HTC One (M8).

I believe voicemail transcription is/was $2.99/mo with AT&T Visual Voicemail on other devices, while it was a free feature of AT&T Messages.

It took a couple different techs, but I was finally able to get the AT&T Messages feature removed off of my account and HTC Visual Voicemail working on my M8. The test voicemails I've had so far seem to be transcribed at about the same accuracy as AT&T Messages.

chp
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by azwildcat98 View Post
AT&T Messages was still transcribing voicemail for me. I have now switched over to HTC Visual Voicemail, which seems to transcribe voicemail at least equally as well.

One possible benefit that AT&T Messages has over HTC Visual Voicemail is I think the former backed up your content to the cloud, because you could wipe your phone (or go to a new phone) and when you set up AT&T Messages, it would sync up everything. (Although not with 100% accuracy; some MMS messages would be lost, and some SMS messages are just restored as phone calls.) As far as I can tell, HTC Visual Voicemail is just a front-end for your voicemailbox, and SMS/MMS is stored locally. There is an option to Backup SMS (only) to SD card.