Updated Android Lollipop Preview Images – XDA TV

The Android Lollipop Preview Images are now available! That and much more news is … more

Get a Complete Set of Logs with Andy Log

The importance of proper logging is undeniable. No, we’re not talking about lumberjack work. … more

Try Some Android Lollipop Applications on Your Device

Android 5.0 Lollipop has been officially announced and lucky users of Google Nexus 5 … more

AutoCon Manages Your Connections to Perserve Battery Life

As we’ve talked about in the past, battery life is still somewhat of a sore … more

[Q]Order to S-Off, Firmware, Radio, Recovery?

OP zaner123

5th June 2014, 01:46 AM   |  #1  
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 7

159 posts
I'm currently running ViperRom which is pretty nice, but I've been wanting to flash a modified kernel. I need to update radio before flashing a new kernel tho. And I think I need S-Off in order to update radio. I also read new recovery is needed for new firmware, but not sure if I need new firmware. If I need new firmware, should I use full firmware or w/o hboot, boot, recovery?

I don't fully understand the purpose of each part, so not sure what order to update things in. My plan is to do the following in order: S-Off first with firewater, update firmware (not sure which one tho), then update radio, then recovery, then kernel. Should that work?
5th June 2014, 07:13 AM   |  #2  
Flag Hyderabad, Telangana
Thanks Meter: 166

579 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by zaner123

I'm currently running ViperRom which is pretty nice, but I've been wanting to flash a modified kernel. I need to update radio before flashing a new kernel tho. And I think I need S-Off in order to update radio. I also read new recovery is needed for new firmware, but not sure if I need new firmware. If I need new firmware, should I use full firmware or w/o hboot, boot, recovery?

I don't fully understand the purpose of each part, so not sure what order to update things in. My plan is to do the following in order: S-Off first with firewater, update firmware (not sure which one tho), then update radio, then recovery, then kernel. Should that work?

That should work (same procedure as you described worked for me)

I used the firmware.zip from this thread (the modified one, with removed hboot etc.): http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...98&postcount=2

and the latest radio from here: http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...36&postcount=1
6th June 2014, 01:47 AM   |  #3  
OP Senior Member

159 posts
I was able to S-Off fairly easily, but having issues updating firmware now. Getting a "Device Failed Enumeration" error since I'm on ****ty Windows 8.1. No USB 3.0 so no easy solutions.

Is there any benefit to installing updated firmware? Can I just skip that and install radio/kernel/etc?
6th June 2014, 06:55 AM   |  #4  
Flag Hyderabad, Telangana
Thanks Meter: 166

579 posts
More
Quote:

I was able to S-Off fairly easily, but having issues updating firmware now. Getting a "Device Failed Enumeration" error since I'm on ****ty Windows 8.1. No USB 3.0 so no easy solutions.

Is there any benefit to installing updated firmware? Can I just skip that and install radio/kernel/etc?

Try looking at this thread: http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2646453 and if that doesn't work then try borrowing a windows 7 PC.
18th June 2014, 05:13 AM   |  #5  
OP Senior Member

159 posts
I found a Windows 7 PC to use, so now I can use fastboot fine. Now I'm running into new issue:

After performing "fastboot rebootRUU" I try command "fastboot flash zip firmware.zip" and I get error "error: cannot open 'firmware.zip' "

The command window is open from within the folder containing ADB/fastboot/firmware.zip so I cannot figure out what the problem is.
18th June 2014, 05:49 AM   |  #6  
Forum Moderator
Flag Xda-Dev,NV
Thanks Meter: 7,904

8,251 posts
Donate to Me
More
Quote:

I found a Windows 7 PC to use, so now I can use fastboot fine. Now I'm running into new issue:

After performing "fastboot rebootRUU" I try command "fastboot flash zip firmware.zip" and I get error "error: cannot open 'firmware.zip' "

The command window is open from within the folder containing ADB/fastboot/firmware.zip so I cannot figure out what the problem is.

Make sure it named firmware.zip and not .zip.zip
The Following User Says Thank You to BD619 For This Useful Post: [ View ]
18th June 2014, 07:56 AM   |  #7  
OP Senior Member

159 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BD619

Make sure it named firmware.zip and not .zip.zip

That was the problem! Finally got it to work.
18th June 2014, 07:58 AM   |  #8  
Forum Moderator
Flag Xda-Dev,NV
Thanks Meter: 7,904

8,251 posts
Donate to Me
More
Quote:

That was the problem! Finally got it to work.

Cool enjoy

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread