Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,741,151 Members 51,165 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q]Order to S-Off, Firmware, Radio, Recovery?

Tip us?
 
zaner123
Old
#1  
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 7
Posts: 158
Join Date: Jul 2010
Default [Q]Order to S-Off, Firmware, Radio, Recovery?

I'm currently running ViperRom which is pretty nice, but I've been wanting to flash a modified kernel. I need to update radio before flashing a new kernel tho. And I think I need S-Off in order to update radio. I also read new recovery is needed for new firmware, but not sure if I need new firmware. If I need new firmware, should I use full firmware or w/o hboot, boot, recovery?

I don't fully understand the purpose of each part, so not sure what order to update things in. My plan is to do the following in order: S-Off first with firewater, update firmware (not sure which one tho), then update radio, then recovery, then kernel. Should that work?
Current phone: HTC One
Current Rom:
 
StormyNight
Old
#2  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 58
Posts: 251
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Hyderabad
Quote:
Originally Posted by zaner123 View Post
I'm currently running ViperRom which is pretty nice, but I've been wanting to flash a modified kernel. I need to update radio before flashing a new kernel tho. And I think I need S-Off in order to update radio. I also read new recovery is needed for new firmware, but not sure if I need new firmware. If I need new firmware, should I use full firmware or w/o hboot, boot, recovery?

I don't fully understand the purpose of each part, so not sure what order to update things in. My plan is to do the following in order: S-Off first with firewater, update firmware (not sure which one tho), then update radio, then recovery, then kernel. Should that work?
That should work (same procedure as you described worked for me)

I used the firmware.zip from this thread (the modified one, with removed hboot etc.): http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...98&postcount=2

and the latest radio from here: http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...36&postcount=1
 
zaner123
Old
#3  
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 7
Posts: 158
Join Date: Jul 2010
I was able to S-Off fairly easily, but having issues updating firmware now. Getting a "Device Failed Enumeration" error since I'm on ****ty Windows 8.1. No USB 3.0 so no easy solutions.

Is there any benefit to installing updated firmware? Can I just skip that and install radio/kernel/etc?
Current phone: HTC One
Current Rom:
 
StormyNight
Old
#4  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 58
Posts: 251
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Hyderabad
Quote:
Originally Posted by zaner123 View Post
I was able to S-Off fairly easily, but having issues updating firmware now. Getting a "Device Failed Enumeration" error since I'm on ****ty Windows 8.1. No USB 3.0 so no easy solutions.

Is there any benefit to installing updated firmware? Can I just skip that and install radio/kernel/etc?
Try looking at this thread: http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2646453 and if that doesn't work then try borrowing a windows 7 PC.
 
zaner123
Old
#5  
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 7
Posts: 158
Join Date: Jul 2010
I found a Windows 7 PC to use, so now I can use fastboot fine. Now I'm running into new issue:

After performing "fastboot rebootRUU" I try command "fastboot flash zip firmware.zip" and I get error "error: cannot open 'firmware.zip' "

The command window is open from within the folder containing ADB/fastboot/firmware.zip so I cannot figure out what the problem is.
Current phone: HTC One
Current Rom:
 
BD619
Old
#6  
BD619's Avatar
Forum Moderator
Thanks Meter 7607
Posts: 8,001
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Xda-Dev,NV

 
DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by zaner123 View Post
I found a Windows 7 PC to use, so now I can use fastboot fine. Now I'm running into new issue:

After performing "fastboot rebootRUU" I try command "fastboot flash zip firmware.zip" and I get error "error: cannot open 'firmware.zip' "

The command window is open from within the folder containing ADB/fastboot/firmware.zip so I cannot figure out what the problem is.
Make sure it named firmware.zip and not .zip.zip

Frequently Asked Questions - HTC One-M7-Sprint(m7wls) | HTC Evo 4G LTE(Jewel) | HTC One-M8-Sprint(m8_whl)
ROM Cleaner | AROMA | Remove Bloatware | Backup Apps | Install Apps/Mods
ROM Cleaner for HTC Evo 4G LTE or ROM Cleaner for HTC One
My DIY guides on how to root your HTC Evo 4G LTE | HTC One(M7)-Sprint | HTC One(M8)-Sprint


Forum Moderator
The Following User Says Thank You to BD619 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]
 
zaner123
Old
#7  
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 7
Posts: 158
Join Date: Jul 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by BD619 View Post
Make sure it named firmware.zip and not .zip.zip
That was the problem! Finally got it to work.
Current phone: HTC One
Current Rom:
 
BD619
Old
#8  
BD619's Avatar
Forum Moderator
Thanks Meter 7607
Posts: 8,001
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Xda-Dev,NV

 
DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by zaner123 View Post
That was the problem! Finally got it to work.
Cool enjoy

Frequently Asked Questions - HTC One-M7-Sprint(m7wls) | HTC Evo 4G LTE(Jewel) | HTC One-M8-Sprint(m8_whl)
ROM Cleaner | AROMA | Remove Bloatware | Backup Apps | Install Apps/Mods
ROM Cleaner for HTC Evo 4G LTE or ROM Cleaner for HTC One
My DIY guides on how to root your HTC Evo 4G LTE | HTC One(M7)-Sprint | HTC One(M8)-Sprint


Forum Moderator

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes


XDA PORTAL POSTS

Give Your Screen Some Color with HexaTime Live Wallpaper

We don’t often cover very many live wallpapers here on the XDA Portal. You may … more

Android Wear App Review: Command Google Now with Commandr – XDA Developer TV

OK Google. Make Me a sandwich. How many times have you … more

Play Your Hits and Learn the Lyrics with NextGen Music Player

There are plenty of music players for Android available in Play Store. They … more

Control Your Toast Notifications with SlicedToasts

Toasts are delicious, even in their Android flavor. In Android, toast doesn’t lead … more