Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,740,547 Members 45,715 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

S5 Root Obtained (Not Released) - Could Be Hope For OTA 4.4.2 N3 Soon

Tip us?

fletch33
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 199
Default S5 Root Obtained (Not Released) - Could Be Hope For OTA 4.4.2 N3 Soon

here is the link and here is the info:

Quote:
So admittedly he is not the first to root the Galaxy S5. He is however the first to post proof that his personal Galaxy S5 has been rooted. The name Geohot may be pretty familiar to you. Geohot is most famous for jailbreaking the PS3. This made national headlines when Sony fought back by suing Geohot. Sony was concerned that the jailbreak would lead to piracy even though Geohot was only restoring a native function that Sony had taken away from the PS3 in an update, the ability to run a homebrew OS like Linux. It was actually not possible to pirate games with the Geohot jailbreak. Before the PS3 Jailbreak Geohot was also a well known IOS jailbreaker.

Today he posted an Image of a Galaxy S5 with Root! He also said that he would not be releasing the method "No release ever!". He didn't say why. In his post he gave credit to Pinkie Pie for the vulnerability, Ricky for the methodology, and Chainfire for the persists. He encourages everyone to "Go ahead and try", but says that this took him 4 days to achieve root. In its current state it wouldn't even be releasable to the masses. After speaking with one very well known vulnerability expert earlier today it is clear that while there are a hand full of developers that have rooted their personal Galaxy S5, there is currently no plan to release this Root to the masses.

The vuln expert that I spoke with who will rename nameless said,
geohot's exploit (while impressive) isnt honestly stable enough to release, it has low chance of working, and is kernel specific
At any rate it seems that this will all point those in the know in the right direction and we may very well have a way to root our Verizon and AT&T Galaxy S5's in the coming weeks!
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to fletch33 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Marlon1691
Old
(Last edited by Marlon1691; 14th June 2014 at 04:42 PM.) Reason: Added a clarification...
Thanks Meter 2
Default Note 3 NCR root?

On my browser, this thread is showing up under Verizon Galaxy Note 3 General > S5 Root Obtained ...

I mention this because I had to upgrade to NC4 on my Note 3 and I lost root so since this thread is under the Note 3 forum, does that mean people expect the S5 exploit to work for the Note 3? Once the exploit works of course!

mjh68
Old
Thanks Meter 359
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlon1691 View Post
On my browser, this thread is showing up under Verizon Galaxy Note 3 General > S5 Root Obtained ...

I mention this because I had to upgrade to NC4 on my Note 3 and I lost root so since this thread is under the Note 3 forum, does that mean people expect the S5 exploit to work for the Note 3?
I think people hope that, but from reading the article highly unlikely. Sounds like the devs , that have root on the s5 feel it's a very high risk exploit and not really usable by the public. The article also points out its kernel specific so that means it would need further tweaking for the Note 3. I have a feeling with new devices being released, the interest won't be there to keep working that hard at it. Just my opinion obviously [emoji39]

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

Marlon1691
Old
Thanks Meter 2
Default how to start a Note 3 bounty?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjh68 View Post
I think people hope that, but from reading the article highly unlikely. Sounds like the devs , that have root on the s5 feel it's a very high risk exploit and not really usable by the public. The article also points out its kernel specific so that means it would need further tweaking for the Note 3. I have a feeling with new devices being released, the interest won't be there to keep working that hard at it. Just my opinion obviously [emoji39]

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk
My Note 3 is a killer phone and I am guessing others feel the same way about their Note 3s. How do we go about organizing a bounty for a Note 3 NC4 root?

fletch33
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 199
I would put my money on if it works for S5 it will work with little or no alterations on N3. I posted that here on purpose because of that.

Word on street is that this will develop in a solution for all.

At least at this point we know it has been accomplished

fletch33
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 199
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlon1691 View Post
My Note 3 is a killer phone and I am guessing others feel the same way about their Note 3s. How do we go about organizing a bounty for a Note 3 NC4 root?
looks like you will get your root and give your bounty to geohot tomorrow!!!

here ya go

Djarett088
Old
Thanks Meter 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by fletch33 View Post
looks like you will get your root and give your bounty to geohot tomorrow!!!

here ya go
Working Rooted NC4 a few minutes ago

Marlon1691
Old
Thanks Meter 2
Default it works; donated!

OMG! It worked painlessly!

Only problem I had is that SuperSU on playstore didn't work properly.

Donated my $100. Please don't forget to donate! We need to support great work like this!

Note 3; NC4; Verizon