Stop Your Screen From Turning Off with KeepItOn

We all know the feeling of reading a news article orrather longdocument, when our screen … more

The XDA LG QPair Developer Challenge Voting Has Begun!

It seems like it was just yesterday that weannounced that we had paired up with LGto … more

Major Update for the Sony Smartwatch 2 Brings DND and More

With the wearables landscape now dominated by Android Wear and Pebble, its … more

How to Root Android Wear 5.0.1 Lollipop Devices – XDA TV

The Lollipop update for Android Wear devices has hit the market and people are … more

Welcome to XDA

Search to go directly to your device's forum

Register an account

Unlock full posting privileges

Ask a question

No registration required

4.4.2 GPS bug

OP ewok666

29th April 2014, 09:29 AM   |  #11  
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 52

517 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ultramag69

Disabling network time sync will make it harder to find the satellites as the Note 3 downloads the satellite position for a faster lock...

I've only disabled the time sync, not the data connection. That said, made no real difference, could have been a bit better but most likely I'm just imagining that I still had some dropouts this afternoon where I should have had none. This morning everything was perfect as usual.
29th April 2014, 01:58 PM   |  #12  
Thanks Meter: 2

44 posts
I've gone through two new Note 3 with GPS issues now. It just turn itself on/off whenever. Not all day is the same and some days you cannot get a constant GPS signal at all. The only solution I've found is to reset the GPS but on really bad days the GPS doesn't even last 1min. It's really bad. I've taken it to the ATT store and spoken with techs online and no one has an answer for this. I'm thinking of switching back to my Note 2 or trying for a 4rd Note 3 replacement if they allow it.

I have minimal apps on my phone so there's nothing else running in the background except for the normal services. Many believe it may be other apps but this isn't the case with me. It's very annoying and more so because I am new to this area and gotten lost several times because the GPS misreports on Google Maps.

If anyone has a good solution besides resetting please let me know. Thanks.

---------- Post added at 11:58 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:23 AM ----------

Alright, on the phone with ATT and it appears Samsung has now acknowledged that some phones do have a faulty GPS. The note did not state whether it was a hardware or software issue but it does state they they have no fix for it. The rep was even surprise to see the note from Samsung. ATT will refuse to replace the phone because it is Samsungs fault. I feel like I've been scammed. This is my 3rd Note3 with the same GPS issue. Actually, now that the phone just updated (this morning) the GPS can't even connect. Utter ridiculous. So pissed.
1st May 2014, 06:46 AM   |  #13  
OP Senior Member

517 posts
I've been keeping and eye on mine after updating to ND5. Yesterday was fine even after 16:00 HOWEVER, I found that it's now playing up earlier in the day. Today I lost signal at least ten times in 30 minutes while driving between 14:00 and 14:30......It would be nice if Samsung did something about this but when did they every :-|
1st May 2014, 09:12 AM   |  #14  
Flag Dubai
Thanks Meter: 67

271 posts
You know about GPS jammers ?

Some commercial drivers make use of a GPS Jammer to prevent all the stuff in the cab from correctly recording how many miles they travel. The law states that they have to take a break every so many miles. If the equipment cannot record the GPS mileage, then the law cannot be enforced. So they jam the signal.

Just a possibility to consider. Maybe you can go somewhere isolated and test it at the usual times and see if it works when you can be pretty certain that no jammers are near.
1st May 2014, 11:02 AM   |  #15  
OP Senior Member

517 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulbous

You know about GPS jammers ?

Some commercial drivers make use of a GPS Jammer to prevent all the stuff in the cab from correctly recording how many miles they travel. The law states that they have to take a break every so many miles. If the equipment cannot record the GPS mileage, then the law cannot be enforced. So they jam the signal.

Just a possibility to consider. Maybe you can go somewhere isolated and test it at the usual times and see if it works when you can be pretty certain that no jammers are near.

Thanks, but this happens regardless of location, including a soccer field, our street, out home, my car an ALL sorts of roads. I'm sure there is some bug in either the software or the chip itself. Needless to say Samsung would not recognize either even if that was the case.
18th June 2014, 04:37 AM   |  #16  
Thanks Meter: 0

4 posts
Hey mate, sorry for reviving an older thread, but I can pretty much confirm the issue is not just you, because I'm having the exact same problem.

I got impatient waiting for Samsung to push 4.4 to Australia, so I forced a 4.4 stock firmware using Odin. Ever since I've had problems with GPS dropping out. Lions like it's an issue with the Note 3 and 4.4, because my Galaxy S4 on 4.4 is perfect.

I thought I could roll back to 4.3, but turns out that's not paddle. Looks like we might be stuck with this issue until Samsung push the update here legit. I'm a field service technician, and it kinds sucks when you have to rely on GPS to get around and it doesn't work properly.
18th June 2014, 01:42 PM   |  #17  
Flag Norway
Thanks Meter: 23

177 posts
More
But is not australia upside down?

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread