Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,742,869 Members 39,324 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Buying Canadian model to use on AT&T?

Tip us?

Cryceratops
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 4
Default [Q] Buying Canadian model to use on AT&T?

Hello there,

Since the American versions of this phone seem to be bootloader locked, would it be possible to get the Canadian version, on say, Rogers, which isn't bootloader locked, and use it on AT&T? Would I get LTE this way as well? Thanks.

Brava27
Old
Thanks Meter 113
Absolutely. Should work no problem. Just add apn settings and simcard

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk
Telus Galaxy S5
HTC M8, LG G2, Note 3, Note 2, Galaxy S4, Galaxy S3, Blackberry Torch 9810, Blackberry Bold 9700, Blackberry Tour 9630, iDEN Motorola i800, i790, etc, Motorola Pebble, Nokia 6000, Motorola StarTak
Telus
Toronto, Canada

The Following User Says Thank You to Brava27 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Cryceratops
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brava27 View Post
Absolutely. Should work no problem. Just add apn settings and simcard

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk
Sorry to sound uninformed, but what is APN settings? Also, is there a more practical way to get an unlocked version from within the U.S. itself? Such as from T-Mobile?

jb_alphamale
Old
Thanks Meter 47
I sold a Canadian HTC M7 from Telus on the US market with the bootloader unlocked but the new owner could not simply insert his SIM into the phone. It was SIM locked. Locked bootloader is completely different story than locked SIM (the device is locked to work only with a particular carrier's SIM). I had to get an unlock code and then worked. Be aware about this.
Here is your explanation:

http://android.stackexchange.com/que...ked-bootloader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cryceratops View Post
Hello there,

Since the American versions of this phone seem to be bootloader locked, would it be possible to get the Canadian version, on say, Rogers, which isn't bootloader locked, and use it on AT&T? Would I get LTE this way as well? Thanks.
The Following User Says Thank You to jb_alphamale For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]