Welcome to XDA

Search to go directly to your device's forum

Register an account

Unlock full posting privileges

Ask a question

No registration required

[Q] Does music have to be in /extSDcard/Music for my phone to find it?

OP jasonsewall

18th June 2014, 03:56 PM   |  #1  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 0

2 posts
I decided to setup Bittorrent Sync to sync music to my phone's external SD card, but quickly discovered that Android 4.4+ won't let the BT Sync App write to /extSDcard/Music.

I figured: the media scanner can look in /extSDcard/Android/com.bt.sync/files/..., right? This will work, right? But it doesn't; if I put anything in /extSDcard/Music, it is picked up by DoubleTwist, etc, right away, but stuff in the part of the filesystem that the BT Sync App can write to is not found.

I looked for .nomedia files in the path, but didn't find any. The Linux guy in me wants to make a symlink from Music to the BT Sync dir, but that doesn't appear to be possible without rooting.

I use my phone for work and it is encrypted and has MobleIron, etc. on it; I think rooting is out of the question. Is there some way I can make this work?
18th June 2014, 04:30 PM   |  #2  
Flag Enschede, The Netherlands
Thanks Meter: 995

3,989 posts
More
The media scanner looks everywhere that doesn't have a .nomedia file in the folder or abovelying folder.

To my knowledge, there's a .nomedia file in /extSDcard/Android created by Android by default. It excludes all folders contained in /Android from the media scanner, as it also applies to subfolders.
18th June 2014, 05:50 PM   |  #3  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 0

2 posts
Audio
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowLea

The media scanner looks everywhere that doesn't have a .nomedia file in the folder or abovelying folder.

To my knowledge, there's a .nomedia file in /extSDcard/Android created by Android by default. It excludes all folders contained in /Android from the media scanner, as it also applies to subfolders.

I just double-checked, and I don't see any .nomedia files (with hidden file view enabled, of course) in the tree leading up to /extSDcard/Android/com.bittorrent.sync/files/music where my shares live, yet the music database shows none of the material there.

Is there way to see a log of what the media scanner is doing?
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread