Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,740,807 Members 51,812 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Does music have to be in /extSDcard/Music for my phone to find it?

Tip us?

jasonsewall
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Audio [Q] Does music have to be in /extSDcard/Music for my phone to find it?

I decided to setup Bittorrent Sync to sync music to my phone's external SD card, but quickly discovered that Android 4.4+ won't let the BT Sync App write to /extSDcard/Music.

I figured: the media scanner can look in /extSDcard/Android/com.bt.sync/files/..., right? This will work, right? But it doesn't; if I put anything in /extSDcard/Music, it is picked up by DoubleTwist, etc, right away, but stuff in the part of the filesystem that the BT Sync App can write to is not found.

I looked for .nomedia files in the path, but didn't find any. The Linux guy in me wants to make a symlink from Music to the BT Sync dir, but that doesn't appear to be possible without rooting.

I use my phone for work and it is encrypted and has MobleIron, etc. on it; I think rooting is out of the question. Is there some way I can make this work?

ShadowLea
Old
Thanks Meter 740
The media scanner looks everywhere that doesn't have a .nomedia file in the folder or abovelying folder.

To my knowledge, there's a .nomedia file in /extSDcard/Android created by Android by default. It excludes all folders contained in /Android from the media scanner, as it also applies to subfolders.
SM-N9005 International Galaxy Note 3, DBT NB7 Stock
SM-G900F International Galaxy S5, PHN NCE Stock
SM-P905 NotePro 12.2 LTE Black, DBT NC3 Stock

The person who says it cannot be done should not interrupt the person who is doing it. –Chinese Proverb

Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

The simplest solutions are often the cleverest. They are also usually wrong.

jasonsewall
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowLea View Post
The media scanner looks everywhere that doesn't have a .nomedia file in the folder or abovelying folder.

To my knowledge, there's a .nomedia file in /extSDcard/Android created by Android by default. It excludes all folders contained in /Android from the media scanner, as it also applies to subfolders.
I just double-checked, and I don't see any .nomedia files (with hidden file view enabled, of course) in the tree leading up to /extSDcard/Android/com.bittorrent.sync/files/music where my shares live, yet the music database shows none of the material there.

Is there way to see a log of what the media scanner is doing?